PDA

View Full Version : America has been at war for 225 of the 242 years of its existence

wornish
19th August 2018, 08:54 PM
Makes you think and try and put things in perspective.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-19/mind-numbing-milestone-afghanistan

Naughty Nigel
19th August 2018, 09:15 PM
It often strikes me that Americans just love guns and violence. You only have to watch American films to see that. Even some films aimed at young audiences seem to glorify violence.

Naughty Nigel
19th August 2018, 09:19 PM
Looks like our record may be even worse than the USA

From the BBC History Magazine:

Deriving a similar figure for Britain is a daunting task. The Kingdom of Great Britain dates from 1707, so the time frame is similar to that of the US. However, Britain fought far more wars than the US in this time period. It engaged in some form of military conflict in every year of Queen Victoria’s reign, fighting an incredible 230 wars in this 64-year period alone.

In fact, the sheer quantity of conflicts that Britain has fought from 1707 to the present makes calculating an accurate figure for the number of years she has spent at war almost impossible.

John

This is true, but if you look at the 20th and 21st centuries the situation is rather different.

Naughty Nigel
19th August 2018, 09:50 PM
I don't think war has been declared in any of the recent conflicts but we have been involved in some sort of military action for as long as I can remember..

John

Sadly yes, although in recent times we have been involved in more peacekeeping roles; other than the notable conflicts that we have been dragged into by the US.

By contrast the Americans have always been much less keen to become involved in our conflicts; such as WW1, WW2 until America itself was attacked.

They also stood well back from the Falklands conflict.

Harold Gough
20th August 2018, 06:57 AM
In fact, the sheer quantity of conflicts that Britain has fought from 1707 to the present makes calculating an accurate figure for the number of years she has spent at war almost impossible.

We had more choice within a much shorter distance.

Harold

Naughty Nigel
20th August 2018, 07:41 AM
We do have a "Special Relationship" with them though :D

Regards,

John

Yeah - when it suits them. :rolleyes: