PDA

View Full Version : What a mad world we live in......

KeithL
17th August 2018, 09:27 AM
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-woman-81-claims-benidorm-13075153

Did anyone read this report this week? Too many Spaniards in Benidorm? Like too many Lancastrians in Blackpool, or Norfolk people in Gt Yarmouth?

What are we coming to?

Naughty Nigel
17th August 2018, 09:39 AM
I read about this and must admit that I am not in the least bit surprised. In my experience the lower demographics of British society are one of the most odious tribes when on holiday abroad. They simply do not know how to behave and expect to eat burgers and chips wherever they go. :rolleyes:

I occasionally need to travel to Spain for work, but detest going during the holiday season. It is rather like a visit to ASDA when they have special offers on larger or BBQ chips. :(

Zuiko
17th August 2018, 10:01 AM
I must admit I once experienced too many Germans at a hotel in Austria. I didn't begrudge them being there but I did begrudge their appalling manners and rudeness. :(

Naughty Nigel
17th August 2018, 10:09 AM
I must admit I once experienced too many Germans at a hotel in Austria. I didn't begrudge them being there but I did begrudge their appalling manners and rudeness. :(

Yes; Germans (particularly Bavarians) and Americans can be equally odious when abroad, but in different ways.

KeithL
17th August 2018, 03:59 PM
Whilst doing airbag testing in Peterborough, we had a German engineer come from the customer to observe. He said to me, were we far from Dunford, and was it worth seeing? I said, not very far, told him how to get there, and yes, it's a really good museum.

Next morning he came over and he was furious. I asked him what was the matter. He said the museum was all set out for the D-Day celebrations, and it all glorified war, and about "We won, we won!" It hadn't occurred to me that those celebrations were on.....

He hd quite a strong accent. One of the other guys asked him what car he owned. He said, as near as I can write it, "I have ein Wolwo." It was very hard to keep a straight face...

Crazy Dave
17th August 2018, 04:23 PM
Years ago I met a lovely Danish couple. They told me that at the Danish - German border, tourists from the south were issued with leaflets advising them not to stake out areas of the beach for the duration of their holiday. Old habits..............

David

shenstone
17th August 2018, 06:34 PM
What annoys me is that she got her money (at least part of it)

Thomas Cook bosses initially offered Freda and her friend a 75 holiday voucher as compensation for the 'disappointing' trip abroad.

But after declining the initial 'goodwill gesture' made by the travel company, they made an improved offer of 566 to be split between Freda and her friend.

(begin rant) There is far too much of a claim culture now - claim for everything and you may get it.

All that means is those of us who take personal responsibility and who understand that sometimes you have to compromise end up paying more to cover the money that is going to be given out to those who claim for everything (rant over)

Regards
Andy

TimP
17th August 2018, 06:59 PM
Wasn’t the claim based more around the fact that she needed a wheelchair accessible ground floor room and didn’t get that, yet the trashy newspapers picked up on the too many Spaniards comment. Personally I go abroad and usually hope I don’t meet (m)any Brits, other than like minded ones on the various wildlife trips we enjoy.

Naughty Nigel
17th August 2018, 07:01 PM
I have just had the:

"Gateway Timeout

The gateway did not receive a timely response from the upstream server or application.

Additionally, a 504 Gateway Timeout error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

KeithL
17th August 2018, 07:02 PM

(begin rant) There is far too much of a claim culture now - claim for everything and you may get it.

All that means is those of us who take personal responsibility and who understand that sometimes you have to compromise end up paying more to cover the money that is going to be given out to those who claim for everything (rant over)

Regards
Andy

I complained a few years ago about a hotel on the Isle of Man being misrepresented by a big travel agency, and therefore mis-sold to us. It was, in fact, the only one offering to cater for diabetics and certain other food issues, and had been taken over by another hotel which did not, and had stopped catering for such things, but we weren't told that had happened. I was told to get lost (but using rather less polite words). I'm amazed that the woman was compensated for Spaniards living in - shock, horror - Spain!

And, "Wasn’t the claim based more around the fact that she needed a wheelchair accessible ground floor room and didn’t get that" the norm is to be told that you should have complained as soon as you got there, and found the problem, not wait until you get home.

TimP
17th August 2018, 07:07 PM
Generally people are fine, even most Americans, and even those, virtually down to a man always apologise for Trump, before you’ve even said anything else. We’ve had people come up to us on the street (in foreign lands) having heard us speaking English and apologise about Trump. Weird! (but totally understandable, given the circumstances!)

Naughty Nigel
17th August 2018, 07:10 PM

Regards
Andy

The claim culture is encouraged by the consumer programmes on telly and the no-win-no-fee lawyers who chase ambulances these days. :(

I used to work for a company back in the 1980's that sold products to the yachting fraternity. We had around two hundred customers, a small percentage, who I can only describe as professional complainers. It was only when we computerised our complaints system that we realised some of them had been complaining every year for the past decade or more, and in many cases they had been sent product FOC every year to shut them up. A large number of these were, you've guessed, doctors, dentists and lawyers!

There was a wailing and a gnashing of teeth when I confronted them with their claims history and refused to give them a penny more. I really enjoyed that task! :D

KeithL
17th August 2018, 07:24 PM
I just read the story in the Mirror on line, and the story is rather different from the "too many Spaniards" one. Seems that she and her friend, who went with her, were compensated because their flight was changed, causing them problems, losing them a day of the holiday, and they weren't informed about the change until it was too late to change. They should have been informed, and offered an alternative. Thomas Cook offered compensation as a 'goodwill gesture'.

Interesting that the sensationalist story that I read was actually in the Express on line.

shenstone
17th August 2018, 08:12 PM
I just read the story in the Mirror on line, and the story is rather different from the "too many Spaniards" one. Seems that she and her friend, who went with her, were compensated because their flight was changed, causing them problems, losing them a day of the holiday, and they weren't informed about the change until it was too late to change. They should have been informed, and offered an alternative. Thomas Cook offered compensation as a 'goodwill gesture'.

Interesting that the sensationalist story that I read was actually in the Express on line.

Apologies.. I have read more of it as well now - seems there was more to it than I originally read.. still a silly thing to add to the complaint though

Regards
Andy

KeithL
18th August 2018, 09:26 AM
Apologies.. I have read more of it as well now - seems there was more to it than I originally read.. still a silly thing to add to the complaint though

Regards
Andy

Having read it properly again, it wasn't in the complaint, and her granddaughter said that she made no such complaint. It was, she said, made up by the newspaper. The complaint was about two aspects: (a) the changed flight, without the lady being told in advance, as she should have been, and (b) she and her lady friend had asked for a hotel in the flat new part of Benidorm, as well as a ground floor room each. They arrived to discover they were put in the old part, which is very hilly, and the bus didn't even go up to the hotel, so a walk uphill was necessary to get to it. They were given rooms on the 14th floor, complained to the hotel - there was no Thomas Cook rep present - and were moved down to the second floor. One room had no balcony. She said that the Spanish people were very nice to her, as were the many people of other nationalities there. She clearly had good grounds for the complaint.

Zuiko
18th August 2018, 10:17 AM

What, that great bastion of truth and impartiality? Surely not? :D

Zuiko
18th August 2018, 10:21 AM
Having read it properly again, it wasn't in the complaint, and her granddaughter said that she made no such complaint. It was, she said, made up by the newspaper. The complaint was about two aspects: (a) the changed flight, without the lady being told in advance, as she should have been, and (b) she and her lady friend had asked for a hotel in the flat new part of Benidorm, as well as a ground floor room each. They arrived to discover they were put in the old part, which is very hilly, and the bus didn't even go up to the hotel, so a walk uphill was necessary to get to it. They were given rooms on the 14th floor, complained to the hotel - there was no Thomas Cook rep present - and were moved down to the second floor. One room had no balcony. She said that the Spanish people were very nice to her, as were the many people of other nationalities there. She clearly had good grounds for the complaint.

It's almost frightening how a seemingly straightforward, non controversial story can be so easily converted into fake news. :(

KeithL
18th August 2018, 10:35 AM
It's almost frightening how a seemingly straightforward, non controversial story can be so easily converted into fake news. :(

Propaganda seems to have become the new truth, John. What I have seen developing in the way things are presented in the press over the last 20 years has becoming very disturbing. In my view.

However, looking again online this morning, I see that the Sun has printed the lady's version, but I haven't seen such a move by the Express.