PDA

View Full Version : Ginger Shock

Harold Gough
15th August 2018, 06:47 AM
Doing a bit of surfing on "edible ginger" this morning, I was surprised and concerned to learn of the huge amounts of insecticide applied to the crop.

I did the search because I grow a lot of ornamental gingers (different genus) and my wife has recently planted some corms of the culinary species.

http://www.thesurvivalgardener.com/which-gingers-are-edible/

https://www.jlynnnursery.com/products/edible-ginger-plant

Harold

TimP
18th August 2018, 07:23 AM
Is ginger an exception as far as a commercial crops and insecticide is concerned or, more likely, all commercial crops are heavily chemically treated?
Ginger? OK with it in a curry but in anything else, forget it, horrible stuff!!
(Sorry!)

Harold Gough
18th August 2018, 08:04 AM
Is ginger an exception as far as a commercial crops and insecticide is concerned or, more likely, all commercial crops are heavily chemically treated?

Ginger beer?

This is not about the use of pesticides in general but is about one of the nastiest ones ever manufactured.

"overusing an illegal and highly toxic pesticide"

Technical :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldicarb

Harold

TimP
18th August 2018, 12:17 PM
Ginger beer? Dreadful stuff! My wife loves it though so there’s some funny German sounding bottles in the fridge.

Presumably the illegal use is not here in the UK (do / can we grow it commercially here?)

Harold Gough
18th August 2018, 04:36 PM
Ginger beer? Dreadful stuff! My wife loves it though so there’s some funny German sounding bottles in the fridge.

I suggest your wife tries Fever-Tree (Tescos) or Crabbies (alcoholic)

Presumably the illegal use is not here in the UK (do / can we grow it commercially here?)

Ginger is said to need a minimum of 13C, not commercially viable in the UK but, as a houseplant...

Harold

Jim Ford
18th August 2018, 05:12 PM
Ginger beer?

This is not about the use of pesticides in general but is about one of the nastiest ones ever manufactured.

"overusing an illegal and highly toxic pesticide"

Technical :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldicarb

I didn't see any reference to its status in the U.K..

Jim

Jim Ford
18th August 2018, 05:14 PM
I like crystallised ginger and rhubarb and ginger jam, but I did try a piece of raw root ginger once. It tasted like soap!

Jim

Harold Gough
18th August 2018, 05:20 PM
I didn't see any reference to its status in the U.K..

Jim

Banned in the 1970s or earlier.

Harold

TimP
18th August 2018, 05:53 PM
Just checked, it’s Bundaberg and apparently Australian. She first had it in Male (Maldives) on a whale watching trip - Muslim country so no alcohol - not a problem, when in Rome etc!
Fever Tree is our tonic of choice but only when on offer.

Harold Gough
18th August 2018, 06:13 PM
Just checked, itís Bundaberg and apparently Australian. She first had it in Male (Maldives) on a whale watching trip - Muslim country so no alcohol - not a problem, when in Rome etc!
Fever Tree is our tonic of choice but only when on offer.

They do a good lemonade too.

Harold

DerekW
18th August 2018, 07:42 PM
I noticed that the last Fever Tree Tonic we had was made in the Netherlands.

Naughty Nigel
19th August 2018, 08:25 PM
Well that's a relief. I thought the thread was about Chris Evans. :(

As far as I know Australia is one of the world's biggest commercial producers of ginger. They also have quite strict rules on agriculture and the use of pesticides, etc. so I wouldn't be concerned about eating Australian ginger.

I love eating ginger and it makes lovely deserts. My brother, who lives in Australia, brought a load of crystallised ginger with him last time he visited. :)

Harold Gough
20th August 2018, 05:22 AM
Well that's a relief. I thought the thread was about Chris Evans. :(

As far as I know Australia is one of the world's biggest commercial producers of ginger. They also have quite strict rules on agriculture and the use of pesticides, etc. so I wouldn't be concerned about eating Australian ginger.

I love eating ginger and it makes lovely deserts. My brother, who lives in Australia, brought a load of crystallised ginger with him last time he visited. :)

We use root ginger in preserves and cooking. I don't recall Tesco labeling their loose root ginger with country of origin but that may be my lack of awareness.

Harold

Bikie John
20th August 2018, 09:21 AM
I use it a lot in stir-fries and similar things. I think a lot is from China, which makes the pesticide news a bit worrying. But I was talking to the market trader and he said that they have been getting a lot from Brazil recently. Presumably it is all to do with international commodity prices shifting.

How worried should be be if we are eating the roots rather than stems or leaves, and peel them before cooking anyway?

John

Harold Gough
20th August 2018, 09:58 AM
I use it a lot in stir-fries and similar things. I think a lot is from China, which makes the pesticide news a bit worrying. But I was talking to the market trader and he said that they have been getting a lot from Brazil recently. Presumably it is all to do with international commodity prices shifting.

How worried should be be if we are eating the roots rather than stems or leaves, and peel them before cooking anyway?

John

It is systemic i.e. moves through the plant.

Here is some more reading material:

https://www.health24.com/Lifestyle/Woman/Your-life/Aldicarb-a-very-dangerous-poison-20131203

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/aldicarb-ext.html

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1231442/shandong-farmers-overusing-toxic-pesticide-ginger-report-finds

http://organic-market.info/news-in-brief-and-reports-article/USA_Organic_ginger_from_China_recalled.html

Harold

TimP
20th August 2018, 10:05 AM
I bet a huge amount of the food we eat is contaminated in some way or other. Big businesses care far more about profits than they do about anything else.

Naughty Nigel
20th August 2018, 10:06 AM
I bet a huge amount of the food we eat is contaminated in some way or other. Big businesses care far more about profits than they do about anything else.

Too bloody true. :mad:

TimP
20th August 2018, 10:13 AM
Bit like the story in the papers at the weekend (actually it’s been doing the rounds for years now) about fruit and veg that doesn’t get sold cos it’s misshapen or ugly. Sell it off cheap and it’ll be fine, instead of putting it into landfill. Scandalous.

I’m on a Mr Angry roll today it seems!

Bikie John
20th August 2018, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the links Harold. I'm not sure whether it would be better to read them and know the enemy, or remain in blissful ignorance!

John

TimP
20th August 2018, 11:04 AM
Blissful ignorance works for me, no point in worrying about something it’s too late to change, we’ve all got to die of something at some point!

Naughty Nigel
20th August 2018, 12:10 PM
Blissful ignorance works for me, no point in worrying about something itís too late to change, weíve all got to die of something at some point!

That is true, but given choice I know how I would rather die. :D

You Tube Link to Heaven (https://youtu.be/pvS_KbzUJgI)

Naughty Nigel
20th August 2018, 12:22 PM
Death by suffocation Nigel ?

John

That would be a risk worth taking John, but I was thinking more of exhaustion. :D

TimP
20th August 2018, 02:25 PM
If you have to pop your clogs, that's the way to do it :D

John
John, without wanting to pi55 on your chips, Iím afraid thereís no choice, you will have to pop your clogs at some point! Not negotiable Iím afraid.

TimP
20th August 2018, 03:48 PM
The end result is not in dispute Tim. There are however options and alternatives as to how you reach that end result :D

Regards,

John
Yes and no, depending on a wide range of factors (serious mode on here)
Dignitas is only an option for those who can afford it and can choose the right time, possibly not as easy as it might sound to someone in reasonable health right now.
Donít know how easy sleeping tablets are to get hold of, but washing them down with a bottle or two of quality red wine should be the easy part.
Having seen one parent pop said clogs and am currently watching the other approach it Iím firmly of the opinion that for the goer, to go quickly of a massive stroke or heart attack in ones sleep is probably the best. Tough on those left behind though.

/serious

Tim

DerekW
20th August 2018, 04:00 PM
A Living Will expressing a wish for no extravagant feats of medicine to keep alive can reduce stresses on all sides.

Google Living Wills

Naughty Nigel
20th August 2018, 05:20 PM
Having seen one parent pop said clogs and am currently watching the other approach it Iím firmly of the opinion that for the goer, to go quickly of a massive stroke or heart attack in ones sleep is probably the best. Tough on those left behind though.

Tim

Having been in that situation with my own parents I agree it is difficult to cope with a sudden death.

There are always the 'what ifs', and the wish that they could have been around for a few more years, (mum was 81, dad was 83), but at the same time it is good to know that they both died peacefully and painlessly in their sleep in their own home, and did not suffer years of dementia or having to exist in a home.

Had they not enjoyed their food as much they might still be with us, but at what cost?

Jim Ford
20th August 2018, 06:53 PM
weíve all got to die of something at some point!

The trick is to delay the event as long as possible, by taking precautions!

Jim

Jim Ford
20th August 2018, 06:56 PM
I want to die peacefully in my sleep - like Granddad. Not screaming like his passengers!

(Not mine!)

TimP
21st August 2018, 09:30 AM
The trick is to delay the event as long as possible, by taking precautions!

Jim

Dunno about as long as possible at all really. Iíd need a caveat that life has to be worth living. I donít want to live to 150 with the last 70+ years being a living hell of ailment after ailment, dementia setting in, eyes etc failing. Sorry, not for me. Iíd like to be able to choose somehow and have a prearranged process to end it all.

Naughty Nigel
21st August 2018, 03:32 PM
Iíd like to be able to choose somehow and have a prearranged process to end it all.

I already have it sorted. *yes

You Tube Link to Heaven (https://youtu.be/pvS_KbzUJgI)

She would end it all without a doubt, and what a way to go! :D :D :D

TimP
22nd August 2018, 10:52 AM
I’d worry the last thing you heard was her giggling!

Harold Gough
22nd August 2018, 10:58 AM

From the Food Standards Agency Website:

Imported food and pesticide testing

Pesticide testing of imported food is carried out by Port Health Authorities on our behalf. If a recurring problem is found with a specific product or supplying country, this may become the subject of enhanced controls, which are set out in Commission Regulation 669/2009. Rapid Alerts System for Food and Feed (RASFF) MRLs are generally set well below a level that would represent a risk to health and non-compliances are usually not a food safety concern, although this must be verified by a risk assessment. Rapid Alerts are only issued when the risk assessment does indicate a possible risk to health.

Harold

TimP
22nd August 2018, 11:08 AM
I wonder what percentage of stuff actually gets tested, I’d bet a tiny proportion in reality. There just isn’t the manpower to do the job properly, jeez, there’s not even enough manpower to properly check people coming into the country let alone checking all types of produce. If a foreign manufacturer can get away with something then he will, probably knowing that if caught the penalties will be minor or even nothing at all.
I wonder how many Rapid Alerts have been issues?