PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting location concept.

Jim Ford
14th August 2018, 11:46 AM
https://what3words.com/

There's an app to use on a mobile 'phone.

It was on the 'One Show' last night. It scores over postcodes because it give a location that doesn't have a postcode eg in the middle of a park. It also scores over a map reference as it uses relatively easy to remember mnemonics.

Jim

Otto
14th August 2018, 11:55 AM
Interesting idea certainly, but I'd struggle to remember the three words and which location they refer to once I'd used it a few times I suspect. I like the good old OS National Grid reference numbers, and have apps that can show my location on a map directly. Maybe the National Grid is not so useful in towns but a street name and number is usually all you need for that.

KeithL
14th August 2018, 02:54 PM
I thought we all had our satnavs these days..... :D:D

Jim Ford
14th August 2018, 04:35 PM
I thought we all had our satnavs these days..... :D:D

It works in conjunction with Google Maps satnav facility. I find Google Maps better than my TomTom - and I don't have to pay for updates. I've now abandoned my TomTom.

Jim

TimP
18th August 2018, 07:26 AM
Saw this a few months ago and looked up my three words (forget what they were now!) but how does it work for a block of flats say, where several properties could occupy the same area but vertically?
Not seen there was an app though, might give it a look see.

peak4
18th August 2018, 09:37 AM
I think it's more intended for those areas of the world without fixed addresses, though obviously it works anywhere.
Here's a BBC article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40935774) about it from last year.
I first came across it on one of the techy websites when we moved house a couple of years ago.

TimP
18th August 2018, 12:06 PM
It works in conjunction with Google Maps satnav facility. I find Google Maps better than my TomTom - and I don't have to pay for updates. I've now abandoned my TomTom.

Jim
Must admit I miss my TomTom, less so with smart phone mapping apps but how on earth did car manufacturers get their in-built satnavs so badly wrong and then have the gall to charge a fortune for an update that was probably out of date before they even started. For me, the downside of phone apps is the use of mobile data, particularly when driving abroad, so thankful for the offline options available. I loved the Here app on Windows phones too.

Otto
18th August 2018, 12:11 PM
The sat-nav in my car (made by Tom Tom I believe) has several mapping errors but I'm not prepared to pay a small fortune for an update that may or not fix them. The Maps.Me app on my phone does a passable job of turn-by-turn navigation and uses off-line maps so there's no need to use mobile data. It's based on Open Street Map data so should be kept up to date faily well.