PDA

View Full Version : A Wish List for Mr Watanabe.

Ian
16th March 2009, 11:01 AM
Akira Watanabe, who is a senior manager at Olympus in charge of development of their E-System DSLR platform, has asked me to create a list of possible feature additions to future cameras and other system products, in order of popularity.

Below is a list of the most common 'wishes' that are frequently expressed. If you have another to add to this list, please respond to this thread and post your wish, or wishes.

Once we have a, more or less, complete list, I will create a poll so that we can gauge and order of popularity. I will be doing a similar project over at Four Thirds User, and the results of the two sites' polls will be amalgamated and then presented to Mr.Akira.

So, here goes - the most frequently voiced wishes that I, personally, recall - include:

Improved dynamic range.
Improved high ISO noise performance.
Improved continuous AF performance.
Improved AF consistency with different SWD lenses.
More fast prime lenses, especially portrait, standard, and wide angle.
Longer telephoto lens options.
Infra red remote control sensor on the back of the camera, as well as on the front (for operation from behind the camera).
Olympus Studio development to deliver live view tethered shooting on your PC screen without the need for a video cable.
Implementation of multi-spot metering.
Focus indication for legacy lenses.
Custom modes save to compact flash card function for easy transfer to other cameras or re-installation after a camera reset.
HD video support.
Replacement of xD PictureCard slot with an SD card slot.
Dual-slot saving, for example JPEG to xD/SD, RAW to CF slot.
Tilt shift lenses.
E-620 or similar sized model with E-3 standard alloy body and weather proofing.
Faster shooting rate (8fps) for E-3 replacement.
More quiet shutter/mirror than existing models (matching the mechanical standard set by the E-1).
More powerful flash with faster recycling from AA batteries.
In-camera wireless connectivity.
Re-introduction of a manual AF mode switch (like the E-1).
Introduction of quick-release camera strap.
Affordable weather-sealed E-System model.
High resolution LCD screen
Red low light AF assist light instead of strobing flash.
Larger viewfinder view.
Wider range of interchangeable focus screens, including a split prism type.
Low ISO, mode, e.g. 50.
Configurable neutral density graduated filter extension to Creative Art Filters.
Level sensors in all models, not just the E-30.
Improved alternative to HLD-4 grip (better construction, maybe alloy) better feel.
GPS add-on for geo-tagging, or maybe built in (higher end models).
Ability to customise file names and metadata in-camera or via Master/Studio for the camera to apply automatically (copyright, name, etc.).
USB-charging of batteries, maybe in-camera?
Firmware update option that does not rely on a Web connection.

So if you have any wishes or suggestions to add, please post your suggestion to this thread!

Ian

dbutch
16th March 2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for doing this Ian

With respect to No. 16 - that would be great, but I think a lot would also like a camera that had the weather seals and not all the bullit proof build!

Dave

Ian
16th March 2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for doing this Ian

With respect to No. 16 - that would be great, but I think a lot would also like a camera that had the weather seals and not all the bullit proof build!

Dave

No problem - I have added your suggestion to the list (NO.23).

Ian

Ian
16th March 2009, 12:40 PM
I've decided to update the list as we go along and synchronise with the list on FTU.

Ian

MarkVarley
16th March 2009, 01:18 PM
built-in radio flash trigger, you just have to buy (cheaply please) combined hotshoe/pc socket flash receivers, and a range of 100 yards please, and running off AA batteries.

and a selection of changeable focus screens (not hard to change already but making them 'officially' changeable with some quality olympus screens would be good, I'd like to see a split screen with 'thirds' lines).

Xpres
16th March 2009, 01:50 PM
I have an E1, E330, E520 and an L10 in 4/3 format at the moment and with all of them only use manual mode or Aperture priority. Perhaps this is unusual? I'd like to see a manual, simple, and basic model with an LCD on the top and no pop up flash.
Plus of course the swing out screen, better sensor and changeable focus screens and much brighter viewfinder.
Far too many bells and whistles on these gadgets.
Maybe there is a way to have a basic camera and be able to download customisable firmware to suit your shooting style and habits?

crimbo
16th March 2009, 01:51 PM
I do think that separate from this list of add-ons that there is a market for a lowish cost very basic 4/3rd camera
Based on the E4xx body
Basic AF
Centre weighted or full averaging metering only.
Basic flash sync but no built in unit
ASM and nothing else - very basic
B - 1/2000th
It should sell to photography students and others on a low budget with a single lens
It then breeds in the mind that the first 'decent' camera was a fine Oly DSLR as well as being what could become a cult item...

Wreckdiver
16th March 2009, 01:55 PM
As I mentioned in the thread: What would you like to see from Olympus next? (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4496&page=2) not additions but improvements on the E-3's layout of controls. The positioning of some of the E-3 controls were noted in several photo magazines as being "illogical" and I totally agreed with them.

Steve

Ian
16th March 2009, 02:21 PM
I do think that separate from this list of add-ons that there is a market for a lowish cost very basic 4/3rd camera
Based on the E4xx body
Basic AF
Centre weighted or full averaging metering only.
Basic flash sync but no built in unit
ASM and nothing else - very basic
B - 1/2000th
It should sell to photography students and others on a low budget with a single lens
It then breeds in the mind that the first 'decent' camera was a fine Oly DSLR as well as being what could become a cult item...

I think that's just too basic to be considered. But maybe something in the not too distant future will satisfy your suggestion? :)

Ian

HughofBardfield
16th March 2009, 02:45 PM
Could I suggest an ammendement to No 35?

It is the need to have the camera itself connected to the Interweb for download that's the problem (plus the need to have the clunky and otherwise useless Master or Viewer software - in my case both - taking up space on my PC).

Would a better way of expressing this therefore be:

"A firmware update methodology that permits firmware to be downloaded to a memory card (NOT xD!) or PC for subsequent upload to the hardware and which does not require the separate installation of Olympus proprietry software."

talepictures.com
16th March 2009, 03:32 PM
maybe something in the not too distant future will satisfy your suggestion? :)

Certainly makes sense as it's surely the turn of the budget entry level models to be updated.

You've done well with that list. Pretty much all the things I've noted that I would like are there and I would like a lot of them so maybe difficult to cut them down to a top few of priority - how many will we be able to choose in the poll? I guess ISO 3200 that looks like 800 and switching xD for the latest SD cards are no brainers that everybody wants!

I would like to add something that relates to numbers 11 and 29. I would like to see the whole mymode system revamped. I don't find it very useful the way it is and would like this improved. The reason it links to 11 and 29 is because I would like this to be integrated into a mymode/art filter/modes/customisable system. For example these custom modes should be configurable and saveable in both camera and master/studio and so transferable seeminglessly between the two. The main point would be that "art filters" would not be a seperate thing but an extension of these saved settings - this is a clear way for them to appeal to advanced users not just as gimmicks. In master/studio there should be an additional interface to produce your own "filters". These will of course be saveable and shareable with all other E-system users and future released cameras as they are part of the new mymode structure. I hope I've been able to describe the idea in my mind well enough in words to be understood. I do think there is an neat opportunity to improve connectivity, configurability and ease of use for stored settings and situations. Mymodes don't cut it for me right now. This maybe also relates to suggestion number 33 as my point is obviously the integration of the ability to save, edit and transfer camera settings both in body and on computer.

I try to put it in one sentence :)

"Revamp mymodes to include other filters, modes and all settings into a fully configurable and shareable way in both camera and computer (master/studio)"

Otherwise I note this is very clearly a survey for the E-system and not mFT so no point mentioning any mFT ideas that had come to mind. Though I will mention that number 18 (silent shutter) should be a priority for mFT (especially if there is to be a higher end model).

Two other things that have come to mind whilst writing....

1) more pancakes covering a few basic focal lengths to support the size of E-4x0 and E-6x0 (eg 12mm, 17.5mm and something longer than 25mm - though the 35mm is already pretty small.)

2) power cable included with camera like Panasonic FT cameras - not an expensive accessory. This would be even more important if any video capabilities were to be added.

Maybe worth noting that number 6 (more telephotos) isn't only for a more affordable long lens or extreme reach but also to push the potential advantage Olympus has for nature and even sports assuming high iso solutions are forthcoming. Just look at the 150mm for example, genius! So if they were to make more telephotos for me autofocus capabilities of them should be important.

Has adding a HDMI connector been mentioned?

Could I suggest an ammendement to No 35?

Would a better way of expressing this therefore be:

"A firmware update methodology that permits firmware to be downloaded to a memory card (NOT xD!) or PC for subsequent upload to the hardware and which does not require the separate installation of Olympus proprietry software."

Quite possibly a better way of putting it. Also in doing this it should be possible to revert to whichever previous firmware you wish like on a lot of eletronic devices.

Another idea: show time and date on the super control panel for quick reference for non-watch wearers and expand the clock setting to include location and daylight settings - maybe this coincides with gps ideas.

padgreen
16th March 2009, 04:37 PM
Nothing major to add to the list, but I'd rather have dual CF cards than a SD instead of the xD.

Also, a dedicated Custom White Balance button as on the E1 on the E3 upgrade (instead of being a fucntion that can be assigned to the function button) that way I can take a Custom White Balance reading and operate depth of field preview at the same time.

cheers

talepictures.com
16th March 2009, 04:48 PM
Nothing major to add to the list, but I'd rather have dual CF cards than a SD instead of the xD.

Also, a dedicated Custom White Balance button as on the E1 on the E3 upgrade (instead of being a fucntion that can be assigned to the function button) that way I can take a Custom White Balance reading and operate depth of field preview at the same time.

Fine for E-3 and E-30 but will two CF fit in the E-4x0/E-5x0/E-6x0? Importance of embrasing SD for olympus is for mFT so as not to cripple the cameras and video with xD.

Agree with both otherwise.

crimbo
16th March 2009, 04:48 PM
I think that's just too basic to be considered. But maybe something in the not too distant future will satisfy your suggestion? :)

Ian

But Ian, for those of us old enough with hypo stains still on our fingers that was a luxury to have metering but if I read between your lines, hopefully there will be a basic camera at a low price to get 'em hooked young!

MarkVarley
16th March 2009, 05:04 PM
I have an E1, E330, E520 and an L10 in 4/3 format at the moment and with all of them only use manual mode or Aperture priority. Perhaps this is unusual?

I've not used anything but manual and aperture priority for years.

dbutch
16th March 2009, 05:33 PM
Although I don't totally disagree as I use Aperture Prioety and Manual for 90-95% of my shots, some of the other settings do have uses, Olympus actually recomends Program mode for certain flash cases and I find that gives good results. Also the way Oly allows the different settings to set different per mode can be handy for quickly changing setup - A well implimented my mode would be good here (don't have E-3).

Like I've seen mentioned elsewhere, being able to pre-configure a my mode setting in Studio (play with a raw till you get what you like) and possible with some Art filter effects would be pretty cool

Dave

Gwyver
16th March 2009, 06:25 PM
Ian,

Unless you have assumed that the following is included as a response to higher DR, how about including 14bit A-D conversion on the list (even though I'm aware your personal opinion is that this gives rise to increased noise).

By the way, IMO - as an erstwhile electronic engineer - it isn't implicit that increasing conversion accuracy will result in increased noise, especially if (as with the implementation by Nikon etc) the max fps rate is reduced when hig res conversion is selected. Most of the noise originates in the photosensor array, not in the convertor.

Regards,

Gwyver
16th March 2009, 06:35 PM
Ian,

Please also include on the list:-
More bracketting options to support HDR e.g:- 2EV bracket steps and/or 7, 9 (or more) shot bracket sequences.

Nick Temple-Fry
16th March 2009, 06:47 PM
Ian,

More bracketting options to support HDR e.g:- 2EV bracket steps and/or 7, 9 (or more) shot bracket sequences.

I'd certainly agree that a 7 or 9 sequence would be ideal, for most of my recent church interiors I've found I need a range of -5 to +1 for the best results. Presumably this is software controlled so might be implementable by an upgrade.

Nick

Xpres
16th March 2009, 06:48 PM
But Ian, for those of us old enough with hypo stains still on our fingers that was a luxury to have metering but if I read between your lines, hopefully there will be a basic camera at a low price to get 'em hooked young!

My idea of a simple basic camera is not necessarily a cheap one! Although that would be a bonus.
Imagine a 620 but without a flash. buttons for all the basic controls with an lcd on top so you don't need to look at the screen which can then be left switched off and turned to camera. E3 type weathersealing. Twin SD cards. Nice bright viewfinder and interchangeable focus screens - a plain matt one fitted. OH, and a flash sinc socket.
What I suppose I want is a waterproof digital OM1 with an articulating screen!

crimbo
16th March 2009, 07:01 PM
My idea of a simple basic camera is not necessarily a cheap one! Although that would be a bonus.
Imagine a 620 but without a flash. buttons for all the basic controls with an lcd on top so you don't need to look at the screen which can then be left switched off and turned to camera. E3 type weathersealing. Twin SD cards. Nice bright viewfinder and interchangeable focus screens - a plain matt one fitted. OH, and a flash sinc socket.
What I suppose I want is a waterproof digital OM1 with an articulating screen!

Be honest...what you want is a digital databack for the OM series*zzz yes I am having a day dream again:eek:

Melaka
16th March 2009, 07:09 PM
I think Olympus need to get a grip of the grips. Is it beyond the wit of man to have one battery grip that will fit several models? Personally I preferred the grip with the E1 to that with the E3/30. Although you needed a different battery it had a better capacity than two standard batteries and the whole thing was just that bit smaller amd more manageable. I guess you'd need one grip for cameras that take the small battery (E4xx, 6xx) and another for those that take the larger one. Several E5xx users report having bought third party grips so there must be a worthwhile market there. I have a grip on the E3 all the time and would do for the E510 if there was an Olympus one or a third party offering to Olympus build standards.

The XD card slot is certainly of little value but now that CF cards have such huge capacity and its not expensive to carry several with you, I wonder if a second slot is a good use of space. However few laptops seem to have a built in CF slot and being able to use a card that will slot straight into a laptop has its advantages. I use a PCMCIA CF reader but the transfer rate is Mb/week rather than Mb/second.

Ian
16th March 2009, 07:26 PM
I think Olympus need to get a grip of the grips. Is it beyond the wit of man to have one battery grip that will fit several models? Personally I preferred the grip with the E1 to that with the E3/30. Although you needed a different battery it had a better capacity than two standard batteries and the whole thing was just that bit smaller amd more manageable. I guess you'd need one grip for cameras that take the small battery (E4xx, 6xx) and another for those that take the larger one. Several E5xx users report having bought third party grips so there must be a worthwhile market there. I have a grip on the E3 all the time and would do for the E510 if there was an Olympus one or a third party offering to Olympus build standards.

The XD card slot is certainly of little value but now that CF cards have such huge capacity and its not expensive to carry several with you, I wonder if a second slot is a good use of space. However few laptops seem to have a built in CF slot and being able to use a card that will slot straight into a laptop has its advantages. I use a PCMCIA CF reader but the transfer rate is Mb/week rather than Mb/second.

The E-3 grip is now compatible with the E-30, so surely your question is answered there?

The E-3/30 HL:D-4 grip is not as tactile as the E-1 grip, but I don't find it objectionable to use either.

Ian

Ian
16th March 2009, 07:30 PM
Ian,

Unless you have assumed that the following is included as a response to higher DR, how about including 14bit A-D conversion on the list (even though I'm aware your personal opinion is that this gives rise to increased noise).

By the way, IMO - as an erstwhile electronic engineer - it isn't implicit that increasing conversion accuracy will result in increased noise, especially if (as with the implementation by Nikon etc) the max fps rate is reduced when hig res conversion is selected. Most of the noise originates in the photosensor array, not in the convertor.

Regards,

Actually you are misinterpreting my view on 14-bit conversion :)

My view is that there is unlikely to be beneficial signal from the sensor above 12 bits. So why bother and increase the computational burden for no gain?

Ian

Zuiko
16th March 2009, 10:09 PM
How about a hyperfocal distance mode where you set the minimum distance required to be in focus and the camera computes the aperture required for the focal length selected and automatically focuses the lens at the hyperfocal distance?

blu-by-u
17th March 2009, 01:07 AM
1) Would like to see a DOF scale included on those lenses like in the days of the 35mm film.

2) For Olympus to enable the use of that Aperture ring found on the Lumix/Leica lenses. After all, they are Fourthirds.

3) AF confirmation on manual lenses. If Nikon can do it, Olympus should be able to also.

Melaka
17th March 2009, 08:32 AM
The E-3 grip is now compatible with the E-30, so surely your question is answered there?

The E-3/30 HL:D-4 grip is not as tactile as the E-1 grip, but I don't find it objectionable to use either.

Ian

I did acknowledge the E3/30 compatibility in my post. It's a first and if it's going to continue that will be fine. My point is that it is something we should encourage Olympus to do, which is surely the purpose of a wish list.

There were some posts early on in the life of the E3 from those who preferred the E1 grip because it was smaller and packed more power. Given the choice I'd go for something smaller with the BLL battery rather than a chunky job with the BLM.

Steve Lane
17th March 2009, 11:49 AM
Points 5, 9 and 16 would really do it for me!!

Cheers, Steve.

Invicta
17th March 2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Ian

Could you add the following to the comprehensive wish list:

1) AF fine-tune adjustment control for auto focus in the top pro model like other manufacturers already provide.

2) 14-bit raw files. These are very useful for photoshop post work.

3) Work with Adobe to get the Olympus presets into Lightroom and Camera Raw

Garrie
17th March 2009, 10:30 PM
Ian,

SPOT ON.. Deffo 2ev for the win.

Also to take all 3 shots or more from 1 button press when in continual shooting mode and bracketing ala Canons :o

sapper
18th March 2009, 07:24 AM
How about 25 and 50 iso settings?

HughofBardfield
18th March 2009, 02:44 PM
How about a hyperfocal distance mode where you set the minimum distance required to be in focus and the camera computes the aperture required for the focal length selected and automatically focuses the lens at the hyperfocal distance?

Now that would be useful... more so than a DOF scale. The scale on the lenses that have one is too small to be of critical use, even they also had the old-style aperture scale printed alongside.

How about 25 and 50 iso settings?

It depends on whether they actually gave better (ie less noisy) results surely? Or are you seeking longer exposure times for motion blur etc? I recall the ISO 50 setting that was (for a while) available by hacking the E500 maintenance menus was not that good...

crimbo
31st March 2009, 01:28 PM
How is the list coming Ian?
Did I ask for a switch outable IR blocking filter?
To be able to do IR work with FT or to be honest mFT with the EVF would be yet another 'Creative Filter' - I get some stunning results from my old converted Fuji S20...

Ellie
31st March 2009, 04:31 PM
Did I ask for a switch outable IR blocking filter?
To be able to do IR work with FT or to be honest mFT with the EVF would be yet another 'Creative Filter' -
That would get my vote too. IR work is quite popular, but it's expensive to get a dedicated camera

MarkVarley
31st March 2009, 04:53 PM
That would get my vote too. IR work is quite popular, but it's expensive to get a dedicated camera

I'll put a vote in for IR, I do quite alot of that with landscapes.

crimbo
31st March 2009, 06:26 PM
I have just thought of something else others may be interested in... panoramas
Oly P+S has a pano assist ... well why not in the dsl(r) world... I would love to be able to easily put together a 612 or 617 pano with less guess work and wasted pixels ... how about the possibility of putting together in camera or PP s/w a 612 raw file??
Now do that with IR...Creative or what!

ScubaRoy
1st April 2009, 09:15 PM
It's probably not going to be the most sought after wish but....

More ports for the underwater housings e.g. for the 9-18 lens

Wreckdiver
1st April 2009, 09:56 PM
More ports for the underwater housings e.g. for the 9-18 lens

Nah! Ikelite are best for ports ;)

Just tried my new E-3 Ikelite housing in the pool tonight and everything was fine. Just need to get the housing to 30 metres and then I'll feel OK to put the camera in. The dome port for the 7-14mm is HUGE.

Steve

Ellie
1st April 2009, 11:21 PM
I have just thought of something else others may be interested in... panoramas
It was something that was advertised with the E-400, as long as you used the right memory card, but didn't work. :mad:

Gwyver
2nd April 2009, 05:04 PM
Please re-locate the Remote Release socket to the opposite side (i.e. battery end) on the E3 successor. At present it is difficult, and potentially risky, to use this socket when the camera is using a Quick Release L-plate (e.g RRS model BOE3-L) to attach to the tripod head.

Alternatively, it would be good to have a rear-facing secondary sensor for the IR Remote Release.

TIA

ScubaRoy
2nd April 2009, 07:43 PM
Nah! Ikelite are best for ports ;)

Just tried my new E-3 Ikelite housing in the pool tonight and everything was fine. Just need to get the housing to 30 metres and then I'll feel OK to put the camera in. The dome port for the 7-14mm is HUGE.

Steve

Don't rub it in!!!!!

If you don't get the opportunity I'll take it diving for you if you want :D

PeterD
2nd April 2009, 08:50 PM
Ian,

A great list. One thing that may have been forgotten is weatherproof lens. We need more affordable lens' to go with weatherproof bodies.

Peter

I hope I am not repeating something already mentioned - I did trawl through all the replies before posting this but I may have missed it.

talepictures.com
6th April 2009, 01:58 PM
Sound recording anyone? Can just integrate one of there recording devices into the e-3 replacement ;)

Wreckdiver
6th April 2009, 03:11 PM
Don't rub it in!!!!!

If you don't get the opportunity I'll take it diving for you if you want :D

Hee, Hee. Sorry :D

Don't worry, plenty of opportunity for it to get wet this summer on the south coast and Red Sea.

Steve

crimbo
13th April 2009, 06:03 AM
Dont know if this has been mentioned...on the Olympus Yahoo list...
Water resistant camera - how about a water resistant flash...

Wreckdiver
14th April 2009, 08:22 PM
A simple, cheap and useful improvement would be to fit a sliding marker on batteries for the user to set according to the charge state. Red for discharged, amber for partially used and green for fully charged. Many times I have put a used or partially used battery in my bag, forgotten how much charge it had and got it mixed up with other batteries.

Steve

mas
15th April 2009, 09:34 AM
Item 10 would be a big one for me - I cant see why this cant be done as a firmware upgrade.

Oly has an excellent reputation for glass, and lots of people seem to use legacy glass on canon etc. It would also at a stroke help deal with the complaints about lens choice.

jimmouseandbear
15th April 2009, 02:00 PM
A one touch hyperfocal button ( should not be difficult camera knows what lens is attached and other parameters......)

Invicta
16th April 2009, 06:30 PM
Actually you are misinterpreting my view on 14-bit conversion :)

My view is that there is unlikely to be beneficial signal from the sensor above 12 bits. So why bother and increase the computational burden for no gain?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I would like to see 14-bit added to the request list as several people have asked for this in the past.

The extra 2 bits are the least significant bits but important to stop rounding errors and side effects in photoshop e.g. converting from RGB to LAB and back14-bit would be of benefit.

Another item I would like added to the wish list is a mirror lockup that has the option to stay up for additional exposures, e.g. exposure bracketing rather than returning to the normal position after each picture is taken.

zmohie
17th April 2009, 03:47 PM
more support in middle east such as in Egypt and gulf markets.
the dealers in these area so bad and make buying a camera from olympus as a risk becouse no support after purchasing.

sapper
21st April 2009, 05:47 PM
The ability to automatically save to the other card when xd and CF are in the camera. IE, when CF say, is full, to automatically save to xd card.

buddha01
18th February 2012, 11:54 PM
Regarding to 6.
Some affordable Standard long Telephoto lenses.
I think of a 650-1300mm similar to the Samyang produced 650-1300mm but then with an AF-MF switch mode which would be a nice addition. Maybe some Telephoto lens to fill the gap between the 70-300mm and a 650-1300mm? You might think of a 200-600mm or something like that.

(universal) Battery Grip for all E-System cameras.

Standardization of the batteries for the E-system cameras. There are now for the different models different batteries in use. Use 1 type of battery on all E-system cameras (for instance the BLS-1)

Greetz,

David M
19th February 2012, 12:43 AM
Regarding to 6.
I think of a 650-1300mm similar to the Samyang produced 650-1300mm but then with an AF-MF switch mode which would be a nice addition. Maybe some Telephoto lens to fill the gap between the 70-300mm and a 650-1300mm? You might think of a 200-600mm or something like that.

Standardization of the batteries for the E-system cameras. There are now for the different models different batteries in use. Use 1 type of battery on all E-system cameras (for instance the BLS-1)

Greetz,

You do realise this thread is three years old?

buddha01
19th February 2012, 01:05 AM
Yes David i do. Doesn't mean you can post to it.:p;)
There are always points to improve and new wishes from (happy) customers/users of the E-system 4/3 cameras. If we don't tell what we want, wish to see or might need in the next model and/or near future, how will Olympus executives know then?:confused:
Without us, customers, they can't exist. We buy their products and use it, therefore we are important to them.*yes
Greetz,

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 01:35 AM
There are always points to improve and new wishes from (happy) customers/users of the E-system 4/3 cameras. If we don't tell what we want, wish to see or might need in the next model and/or near future, how will Olympus executives know then?:confused:
Without us, customers, they can't exist. We buy their products and use it, therefore we are important to them.*yes
Greetz,

By all means post in this thread, you are more than welcome. :) However, it is worth noting that things have moved on fundementally since the last post on 21st April 2009 - at that time the first Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera had not even been announced! I suspect that any such list would now need to go to somebody other than Mr Watanabe. :)

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 01:39 AM
Regarding to 6.

Greetz,

I like the concept of an affordable AF 650mm-1300mm telephoto. F2.8? :D

David M
19th February 2012, 01:41 AM
Greetz,

Well as regard to your wishlist you need to be realistic, you'll never see a 650-1300 from Olympus.

You'll never see a universal battery grip as the various bodies all have different base plates and battery chamber locations.

As for a standard battery, there will be yet another battery when the OM-D starts shipping.

David M
19th February 2012, 01:45 AM
I like the concept of an affordable AF 650mm-1300mm telephoto. F2.8? :D

Yeah, it would only need a front element 232.143mm in diameter if they made it a f/2.8-5.6 variable aperture lens.

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 01:49 AM
As for a standard battery, there will be yet another battery when the OM-D starts shipping.

This is true, but it must be remembered that batteries too need constant improvement if they are to keep up with the increasing power demands of the latest cameras. At least Olympus cameras allow te use of third party batteries, unlike Panasonic. :)

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah, it would only need a front element 232.143mm in diameter if they made it a f/2.8-5.6 variable aperture lens.

Just as well the E-M5 has a substantial grip!

David M
19th February 2012, 02:00 AM
Just as well the E-M5 has a substantial grip!

Well the 300mm f/2.8 weighs 3.3kg so I can't see the new 650-1300mm f/2.8-5.6 weighing less than 12kg.

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 02:04 AM
Well the 300mm f/2.8 weighs 3.3kg so I can't see the new 650-1300mm f/2.8-5.6 weighing less than 12kg.

Gosh, David, you make it sound as good as made! Better get your Q/R plate sorted out quickly! :D

David M
19th February 2012, 02:11 AM
Gosh, David, you make it sound as good as made! Better get your Q/R plate sorted out quickly! :D

Already sorted, I've got a suitable long lens plate from when I had a Nikkor 600mm converted to OM mount. :D

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 02:22 AM
Already sorted, I've got a suitable long lens plate from when I had a Nikkor 600mm converted to OM mount. :D

600mm? That's almost a wide-angle! :D This new Digital Zuiko 650-1300mm will be a real poke in the eye for Nikon, probably from about 12 feet! *laugh

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 02:28 AM
Actually, the biggest problem with the 650-1300mm in use will probably be atmospheric haze, plus the curvature of the Earth, of course! Especially when using it with the EC-20! :D

With that thought, I'm going to bed! *chr

Benedict
19th February 2012, 05:14 PM
I've not used anything but manual and aperture priority for years.

Ian,

Ditto for me.

But i do think that a set of good primes would be more beneficial - as someone who has come from a time when primes were the only lenses in town !

Also

A dedicated WB button instead of having to use the Fn button as an alternative. I constantly seem to use Manual function using the Fn button,when Autofocus doesn't always appear to give the sharpness I expect it to do.

Also

a full frame Exxx model would be the one true option that will keep me with Oly.
- I must be dreaming again :D :D

In reality the list you compile could be endless. We have to live with what is available

buddha01
19th February 2012, 06:11 PM
Looking at the 650-1300mm, it can weight in at a comfortable 2.5kg to 3kg. Especially since Olympus uses mainly high grade plastics and or metallics such as light weight aluminium.
If you would go for a 650-1300mm f/2.8-5.6 with a diameter of, lets say, 105mm or 129mm and a drop in filter, it must be possible to keep the weight down to 2.5kg to 3kg. Mine Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm is all metallic and weights 2 kg and has a diameter of 95mm but a f/8.0-16. And it's a MF. So adding an AF would add an additional 500 grams to the lens.

Regarding the batteries, from a environmental point of view it would be better to standardize them and the placing of the batteries in the cameras. You would use less raw materials, which in turn makes production costs lower, thus products can be sold cheaper and profits will go up. Especially wit a good marketing strategy as used by Nikon/Canon.;)

Also I think it would be a good thing to hold onto the full 4/3 DSLR's. Especially in the entry level segment market. Once people buy one of those entry level models, and the like them, they tend to buy the more expensive models also as their next camera. They already bought the lenses, so they are more likely to buy another Olympus DSLR as their next camera.
In General, people are creatures of habit and quite stuck to the brands they are used to and to what they have good experience with. Also when you have other products from the same make/brand, such as lenses that can be use on the next model, you are more likely to buy again from the same brand.:D;)

I guess, I've stirred up something here again. Looking at the posts here in the last 24 hrs.:eek:
Greetz,

Bill Gordon
19th February 2012, 06:38 PM
Akira Watanabe, who is a senior manager at Olympus in charge of development of their E-System DSLR platform, has asked me to create a list of possible feature additions to future cameras and other system products, in order of popularity.

Below is a list of the most common 'wishes' that are frequently expressed. If you have another to add to this list, please respond to this thread and post your wish, or wishes.

Once we have a, more or less, complete list, I will create a poll so that we can gauge and order of popularity. I will be doing a similar project over at Four Thirds User, and the results of the two sites' polls will be amalgamated and then presented to Mr.Akira.

So, here goes - the most frequently voiced wishes that I, personally, recall - include:

Improved dynamic range.
Improved high ISO noise performance.
Improved continuous AF performance.
Improved AF consistency with different SWD lenses.
More fast prime lenses, especially portrait, standard, and wide angle.
Longer telephoto lens options.
Infra red remote control sensor on the back of the camera, as well as on the front (for operation from behind the camera).
Olympus Studio development to deliver live view tethered shooting on your PC screen without the need for a video cable.
Implementation of multi-spot metering.
Focus indication for legacy lenses.
Custom modes save to compact flash card function for easy transfer to other cameras or re-installation after a camera reset.
HD video support.
Replacement of xD PictureCard slot with an SD card slot.
Dual-slot saving, for example JPEG to xD/SD, RAW to CF slot.
Tilt shift lenses.
E-620 or similar sized model with E-3 standard alloy body and weather proofing.
Faster shooting rate (8fps) for E-3 replacement.
More quiet shutter/mirror than existing models (matching the mechanical standard set by the E-1).
More powerful flash with faster recycling from AA batteries.
In-camera wireless connectivity.
Re-introduction of a manual AF mode switch (like the E-1).
Introduction of quick-release camera strap.
Affordable weather-sealed E-System model.
High resolution LCD screen
Red low light AF assist light instead of strobing flash.
Larger viewfinder view.
Wider range of interchangeable focus screens, including a split prism type.
Low ISO, mode, e.g. 50.
Configurable neutral density graduated filter extension to Creative Art Filters.
Level sensors in all models, not just the E-30.
Improved alternative to HLD-4 grip (better construction, maybe alloy) better feel.
GPS add-on for geo-tagging, or maybe built in (higher end models).
Ability to customise file names and metadata in-camera or via Master/Studio for the camera to apply automatically (copyright, name, etc.).
USB-charging of batteries, maybe in-camera?
Firmware update option that does not rely on a Web connection.

So if you have any wishes or suggestions to add, please post your suggestion to this thread!

Ian

G'day to you Ian. it seems to me that a wish list should wait until we all have our "new toy" in our hands and then perhaps the list may be shorter. What do you think having had a go at the new beast?

David M
19th February 2012, 06:49 PM
Looking at the 650-1300mm, it can weight in at a comfortable 2.5kg to 3kg. Especially since Olympus uses mainly high grade plastics and or metallics such as light weight aluminium.
If you would go for a 650-1300mm f/2.8-5.6 with a diameter of, lets say, 105mm or 129mm and a drop in filter, it must be possible to keep the weight down to 2.5kg to 3kg. Mine Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm is all metallic and weights 2 kg and has a diameter of 95mm but a f/8.0-16. And it's a MF. So adding an AF would add an additional 500 grams to the lens.

Except a 650-1300mm f/2.8-5.6 would need a front element 232.143mm in diameter.

A 650-1300mm with a front element of 116mm would be a f/5.6-11 and would start suffering from diffraction almost as soon as you zoomed it from 650mm or started stopping it down.

buddha01
19th February 2012, 07:23 PM
David,
If you would use a front element of 129mm what would be the f on the 650-1300mm?
As far as i have experienced till now with the Samyang/Delemax 650-1300mm f/8.0-16 diffraction or stopping down isn't really an issue as soon as you start to zoom in from 650mm. So why would it be different then? I didn't suggest to completely design anew 650-1300mm, rather convert and change an existing 650-1300mm and make it a bit more light sensitive.
Greetz,

David M
19th February 2012, 08:00 PM
David,
If you would use a front element of 129mm what would be the f on the 650-1300mm?

It would be a 650-1300mm f/5-10.

With a 4/3 camera diffraction starts to affect image quality around f8. This of course changes slightly depending on which sensor is in the body.

buddha01
19th February 2012, 08:52 PM
In that case I would opt for a CMOS sensor full 4/3
But a 650-1300mm f5-10 sounds good to me. At least for most daylight conditions. It's almost as bright as the current 70-300mm. And that one has a f/4-5.6

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 09:41 PM
G'day to you Ian. it seems to me that a wish list should wait until we all have our "new toy" in our hands and then perhaps the list may be shorter. What do you think having had a go at the new beast?

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the confusion but this is not a current "Wish List," in fact it is about three years old and very much out of date! :)

Bill Gordon
19th February 2012, 11:33 PM
Hi Bill,

Sorry for the confusion but this is not a current "Wish List," in fact it is about three years old and very much out of date! :)

Thanks John and I just realized what you said...I fell somewhat like a fool but then some people already think I am!:eek:

Zuiko
20th February 2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks John and I just realized what you said...I fell somewhat like a fool but then some people already think I am!:eek:

Join the club, it's a big one! :D

stryker
20th February 2012, 12:58 PM
I love the concept of the OM-D so I would love a similar camera that takes standard 4/3 lenses not m4/3 lenses.
I am still waiting for a logical progression from my E510 that I can use non-ZD lenses on like my 14-54 MK1 and 35mm Macro.

bassman
20th February 2012, 08:05 PM
would really love to see multi-spot metering brought back, one feature I loved and was so effective on my trusty old OM-4

gazza95
21st February 2012, 10:55 PM
The list of features has become pretty impressive. If I think about what would encourage me to part with 1000+.

Essential;
1) reliable C-AF with HG and SHG lenses
2) Improved dynamic rage and some ISO improvement

Nice to have would be
1) RF triggering and control of flash. Triggering via flash has not proved reliable for me.
2) Improved tethered shooting e.g. over WiFi.

Gary

Gary

yorky
22nd February 2012, 11:04 AM
Why are using the E3 as a target for upgrading and not the E5 which is the current production model? I think the main improvement would be for better definition at all iso's would be the best improvement.
The more bells and whistles only increases the price for little gain, who uses all the so called "improvement features" Keeping the price down should be the first priorty after retaining the high quality

Steve Lane
22nd February 2012, 12:05 PM
would really love to see multi-spot metering brought back, one feature I loved and was so effective on my trusty old OM-4

Same here - it is one of the reasons I still love using my OM's.