PDA

View Full Version : Weather

KeithL
31st July 2018, 11:00 AM
I get weather reports on my smartphone; today it tells me that there will now be a North/South divide - cool and wet in the North, hot and sunny in the South.

Now here's a question: where does South end and North begin? I assume it means north of Watford, on the basis that the Met Office must be somewhere within the M25. Which would mean that we will have cool wet weather. But, no, today, it's hot and sunny.

So now I am utterly confused. Do I live in North or South? :confused:

shenstone
31st July 2018, 11:52 AM
From my original home location (Yorkshire) I considered anything south of Sheffield to be France ..

Even from Cardiff I consider anything south of Chesterfield to be South

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
31st July 2018, 11:57 AM

You live in the county of the North Folk, Keith!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
31st July 2018, 11:58 AM
I get weather reports on my smartphone; today it tells me that there will now be a North/South divide - cool and wet in the North, hot and sunny in the South.

Now here's a question: where does South end and North begin? I assume it means north of Watford, on the basis that the Met Office must be somewhere within the M25. Which would mean that we will have cool wet weather. But, no, today, it's hot and sunny.

I think THE Met Office is based in Exeter these days but it was in Bracknell previously.

However, the BBC weather app no longer uses Met Office data so it could be from anywhere.

As for the north-south divide I would say the A66 (or previously the Stainmoor Line) would be a good place to start.

Anything south of the M62 is bandit territory. *yes

Wally
31st July 2018, 12:00 PM
As a Scot... I'll keep - with great difficulty - ma big yap firmly shut. *yes ;)

wornish
31st July 2018, 12:36 PM
As a Yorkshire man now living in Cheshire I think you live in the North of England if you live in a county whose name ends in shire. All other English Counties are in the South. The big newly named metropolitan areas Like Greater Manchester and Tyne and Weir are surrounded by Shires so they too must be in The North.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are of course separate countries so don't count.

Naughty Nigel
31st July 2018, 12:37 PM
As a Yorkshire man now living in Cheshire I think you live in the North of England if you live in a county whose name ends in shire. All other English Counties are in the South. The big newly named metropolitan areas Like Greater Manchester and Tyne and Weir are surrounded by Shires so they too must be in The North.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are of course separate countries so don't count.

Like Hampshire? :confused:

Naughty Nigel
31st July 2018, 12:39 PM
What about Co. Durham, Northumberland and Cumberland? Are they not in the north? :)

wornish
31st July 2018, 12:41 PM
Like Hampshire? :confused:

There always has to be an exception to every rule otherwise it wouldn't be a proper rule :D

Naughty Nigel
31st July 2018, 12:44 PM
There always has to be an exception to every rule otherwise it wouldn't be a proper rule :D

Devonshire? ;)

wornish
31st July 2018, 12:46 PM
What about Co. Durham, Northumberland and Cumberland? Are they not in the north? :)

Not officially, but they are very welcome as associate Northerners*yes.

Zuiko
31st July 2018, 12:47 PM
There isn't an abrupt division between north and south, we have the Midlands in between.

wornish
31st July 2018, 12:48 PM
Devonshire? ;)

Now your asking too much. The accepted name is Devon so its officially in the South. It might have been in the North a long time ago.:D

wornish
31st July 2018, 12:49 PM
There isn't an abrupt division between north and south, we have the Midlands in between.

Now you are making it even more complicated. Where do they start and stop ?

Otto
31st July 2018, 01:07 PM
The expression "north of Watford" actually refers to the Watford in Northamptonshire, not Hertfordshire, also known as Watford Gap. Anyway, up here in North Yorkshire (near the Cumbria border) Manchester is the south. The weather is cooler than of late but dry, putting the Met Office on tricky ground!

DerekW
31st July 2018, 01:24 PM
Watford Gap service station on the M1 has always been a place of disapointment.

If you are driving north you are disapointed that it has taken so long to get out of Watford.

If driving south it is the realisation that you still have a long way to drive to get into home territory. And as the south is more popular the traffic density increases and the speed decreases. So the time to complete the journey expands as each mile is completed.

OM USer
31st July 2018, 02:33 PM
I think THE Met Office is based in Exeter these days but it was in Bracknell previously.
There I was thinking it was still in Bracknell.

However, the BBC weather app no longer uses Met Office data so it could be from anywhere.
Yes, I've heard about this. Shame on the BBC. Apparently it was some disagreement over the provision of a weather app for mobile phones.

As for the north-south divide I would say the A66 (or previously the Stainmoor Line) would be a good place to start.
You mean the Stainmore line? As a southerner this is far to far north; although when I was in York (historically this was in the West Riding of Yorkshire, at the time I was there it was in North Yorkshire, and I think that later it moved out for a short while to be a unitary authority) I would have probably agreed and thought the north was Cumberland, Westmorland, Northumberland, & Durham. Apparently there is now a metropolitan county (?) of Tyne and Wear up there as well. Who knew!

From my original home location (Yorkshire) I considered anything south of Sheffield to be France ...Anything south of the M62 is bandit territory.
I would agree that this is the dividing line as south of this you have the Midlands. Putting my flat cap on I might take Andy's view, move the line north, and include the industrial areas of Lancashire (think cotton mills) and South Yorkshire (Sheffield in particular) as the midlands. Not sure what the locals would think of this though.

... And as the south is more popular the traffic density increases and the speed decreases so the time to complete the journey expands as each mile is completed.
Too true.

Naughty Nigel
31st July 2018, 02:37 PM
.... And as the south is more popular...

Popular or populous?

I know what I think. *yes

Naughty Nigel
31st July 2018, 02:54 PM
You mean the Stainmore line?

Yes, the very one, connecting the ECML at Darlington with the WCML at Tebay and taking in Barnard Castle and Kirkby Stephen. *yes

Closed on the 20th January 1962 (pre-Beeching) and put beyond further use by dismantling Belah Viaduct the very next day day after the last train ran.

Ever since successive governments have taxed road users to encourage them to use public transport. :rolleyes:

Crazy Dave
31st July 2018, 04:35 PM

Somersetshire?

KeithL
31st July 2018, 06:19 PM
Or even, dare I say it, Clackmannanshire? :D

Whilst I live in the North Folk, the South Folk (strange foreigners, they are) are only ten miles away. Some of them even live and work among the North Folk, and some North Folk live and work among the South Folk. So it's even more confoozed!

As for the Midlands, well, to me, it surrounds Brum; however, I remember when Coronation Street first came on, and it was described as "life in a real Midlands town" - Manchester! I mean, come on, Manchester in the Midlands? :eek:

I get my weather reports from Netweather, which is based in Evesham - in the West Midlands. In Worcestershire - so one would think it's in the South.

It's a rummun, really; cor blarst me, we hint in the north here, it'd be cold and foggy, ent it?

Jim Ford
3rd August 2018, 10:21 AM
My map just shows an ill defined region outside the M25, with 'Here be Tygers' written on it and drawings of people with faces on their chests!

;)

Jim

Naughty Nigel
3rd August 2018, 10:26 AM
My map just shows an ill defined region outside the M25, with 'Here be Tygers' written on it and drawings of people with faces on their chests!

;)

Jim

They are the lucky ones. The unlucky ones have their heads put on sticks. :D

Ricoh
3rd August 2018, 10:39 AM

Meteorologically speaking the north south devide is the band forming the frontal system. On days when it's a complete wash-out it becomes the UK.
Scotlandshire always gets a separate mention, like a PS or a PPS on a memo. ;)

KeithL
3rd August 2018, 10:42 AM

;)

Jim

Sounds like you need to buy a new map, Jim! Or even, dare I say it, a satnav.... :D

Naughty Nigel
3rd August 2018, 10:59 AM
The M25 would make an ideal site for a perimeter wall, similar to the one Trump envisages for Mexico. The possibilities and advantages of such an undertaking are endless, but I couldn't possibly comment :D:D:D

John

Excellent idea. Manchester already has one called the M60! :D

Personally though I prefer the idea of a hydro-electric dam across the River Thames somewhere east of Dartford.

Energy problems solved! ;)