PDA

View Full Version : County Durham

chris
27th July 2018, 12:35 PM
Weíve got a few days in County Durham coming up shortly, and Iím hoping to nip out with the gear a couple of times, perhaps a sunrise before everyone is up and then possibly a sunset..
I have a cracking sunrise location in mind, but am on the lookout for a evening shot, if anyone has any ideas or local knowledge? We will be inland near Stanhope, and something thatís close to a road would be great as time will no doubt be limited.

Thanks

Clockwork Donkey
28th July 2018, 12:09 PM
From Penshaw monument?

Wally
28th July 2018, 12:34 PM
Look-up the Killhope Wheel and the High Force waterfall which are over where you are. After the rain fall over the last day or two, it should be worth a visit. A pub is also nearby.

chris
28th July 2018, 02:22 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look. I'll not be far from Sycamore gap either, so that's an option.
I'm planning on Chemical Beach for the sunrise shot, as the tide will be right too

Wally
28th July 2018, 04:56 PM
I'm planning on Chemical Beach for the sunrise shot, as the tide will be right too.

Be advised: If Chemical Beach at Seaham is the one I'm thinking of, then be aware, it is well named. Seepage from old mine workings still occur.

chris
28th July 2018, 07:15 PM
Thanks, i’ll bear that in mind

Wally
28th July 2018, 08:24 PM
Just a thought. If you're to the west side of Newcastle - Hadrian's Wall - Look up Gibside Chapel / Red Kites. They have a garden area -with a cafe - that is worth a look if only to see - if you are lucky - red kites. They were re-introduced around 2004 and are now so prolific that a local bus company is named after them... so you stand a good chance of a sighting.

chris
28th July 2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks, I’ll take a look. It may be something to do with the family in the daytime

Naughty Nigel
28th July 2018, 09:29 PM
If you stray just outside of Co Durham there is the Settle to Carlisle railway line and several spectacular viaducts on that line and others, many now disused.

Otto
29th July 2018, 09:15 AM
Killhope Museum (http://www.killhope.org.uk/) is certainly worth a visit, with the bonus of an ample population of red squirrels as well as a huge waterwheel and underground workings. In common with other museums in Co.Durham your admission ticket is valid for a year. Killhope is west of Stanhope on the A689 towards Alston. Weardale in general is very attractive - I'm afraid I can't suggest any sunrise/sunset locations though.

Jim Ford
29th July 2018, 10:14 PM
Gosh, 'Durham', 'Killhope', 'Stanhope', 'Alston', 'Weardale' - faraway places, with strange sounding names!

Jim (from within the comforting embrace of the M25!)

;)

The Technician
30th July 2018, 11:48 AM
You could do the bridges in newcastle at sunset?

Naughty Nigel
30th July 2018, 11:49 AM
You could do the bridges in newcastle at sunset?

You will certainly find plenty of tripod marks there. :)

birdboy
30th July 2018, 12:23 PM
Weíve got a few days in County Durham coming up shortly, and Iím hoping to nip out with the gear a couple of times, perhaps a sunrise before everyone is up and then possibly a sunset..
I have a cracking sunrise location in mind, but am on the lookout for a evening shot, if anyone has any ideas or local knowledge? We will be inland near Stanhope, and something thatís close to a road would be great as time will no doubt be limited.

Thanks

Durham itself is worth a night time wander take a small tripod and do some burst frames for stacking.
This seems to be a favourite along the river walk I took some years back on our train journey to Harrowgate and Durham.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/M5177692-1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99832)

Naughty Nigel
30th July 2018, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately the cathedral has a white 'top hat' on at present whilst stonework is underway on the tower. As far as I know the top hat will not be removed until some time in 2019. Quite how it survived the Beast from the East I don't know.

birdboy
30th July 2018, 12:35 PM
I don't know the area myself but looking it up on google maps if the skies are clear I would head to some higher ground with a view due south focus on Saturn with as wide a lens as you have do the 200/fl for shutter speed and take about 25 frames for stacking. With a bit of luck for clear nights you should get your Milkyway. Good luck.

chris
30th July 2018, 11:55 PM
I don't know the area myself but looking it up on google maps if the skies are clear I would head to some higher ground with a view due south focus on Saturn with as wide a lens as you have do the 200/fl for shutter speed and take about 25 frames for stacking. With a bit of luck for clear nights you should get your Milkyway. Good luck.

This has Sycamore gap written all over it!!!!

chris
30th July 2018, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, greatly appreciated ..... I feel duty bound to post something worthwhile upon my return..... oh the pressure!!!!!!

chris
6th August 2018, 02:45 PM
Just got back from a great long weekend. We/I managed to visit a few of the suggestions - Killhope wheel, Beamish museum, High Force waterfall, Sycamore gap (sunset) and Chemical beach (sunrise), although the sunset and sunrise light never really materialised!