PDA

View Full Version : How to go from RAW to JPG

DannyH
14th March 2009, 07:57 PM
I have finally decided to give RAW a try and use it exclusively for a while. I have both Lightroom2 and CS3. My question is how is the best way to go from RAW and end up with a JPG image for showing. When modifying an image in RAW, if I go to CS3 and make changes it makes a TIFF file. The only way I have come up with using the TIFF file is to make it into a DNG file in lightroom2, go to the actual file on hard drive, open it in CS3, and change it into a JPG. There must be a better way that I just have not come across.

Thanks

Jim Ford
14th March 2009, 08:05 PM
My question is how is the best way to go from RAW and end up with a JPG image for showing. When modifying an image in RAW, if I go to CS3 and make changes it makes a TIFF file.

Sounds like you're not lastly converting it to 8 bit in CS3. You have to do this if you want to save as a JPEG, which is 8 bit.

Jim

andym
14th March 2009, 08:26 PM
Hi Danny

Yes as Jim says you probaly need to convert the file to 8 bit and then it will give you the option to save as a Jpeg.
Catches a lot of people this one.

DannyH
14th March 2009, 08:36 PM
I have looked and can not fiand where to find convert to 8 bit. I checked the help files, but do not see an area to do this. It does it in"Save for the web and devices", but I want better quality.

gno
14th March 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Danny,

You may find this (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/16-bit/)tutorial on 16 bit images of interest.

Regards

Gavin

DannyH
14th March 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Gavin, that gave me the "image/mode/8 bits" information that I needed. In playing around with RAW and JPG in the levels and white balance, I noticed a much better range of quality with RAW.

Pete_VN52
14th March 2009, 09:10 PM
In Lightroom, go to File-Export and then under File Settings choose jpeg and whatever criteria you want.

gno
14th March 2009, 09:25 PM
Danny,

I also found this (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=E3Urw48Oz74C&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=cs+convert+16+bit+color+image+to+8bit&source=bl&ots=waSMatYPcW&sig=WscFRVlQtrVGZXqtN6Q5x23aQl0&hl=en&ei=Hx-8SZv9G6TJjAfiwZShCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA1,M1) which shows some of the advantages of using RAW,

Rewards

Gavin

DannyH
14th March 2009, 11:50 PM
Pete, I saw and used the file/export function. It works fine, but when I save my final jpg it's usually for clubs that require and maximum size of 350 kb. In file/export I can reduce the quality to get this, but it does not say what the new size is (like CS3) and you must save and look at the file on the hard drive to see the size, and re-do if it's to large. Is there an area to see this information before saving?

Thanks

Pete_VN52
15th March 2009, 02:46 PM
You could try LR/Mogrify - I haven't used it myself, but it looks like an export plugin that you can install, and then one of the options is the file size that you want. From the comments, it might be a bit tricky to install, but worth a look?

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1519018

DannyH
15th March 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks pete. I loaded LR/Morify to check it out. It has some nice features, but it does not have an area that tells the new KB of a file that has been sized.

theMusicMan
15th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Hey Danny, not sure if this is the right way to do things, but it's the way I work.

I have my images in LR, and I edit them as required and then if I need to undertake further edits in CS3, I right click on the image and select 'Edit In' as shown below;

http://img.skitch.com/20090315-rae5t8m34kjtjaqbnyra551knb.jpg

LR creates a virtual copy of the image, then opens up this window;

http://img.skitch.com/20090315-bii18grk5qcxh2p6ucs11c1q4m.jpg

... and I can choose the type of file that will be created and opened in CS3. I always choose PSD (not sure if this is the best though). The image then opens in CS3 where I carry out any adjustments required using that app.

When I click on 'Save', CS3 updates the image and saves it to LR as '1 of 2' leaving the original as '2 of 2'. I can then export this new virtual copy of the image in LR and save as jpg any size I want to. I also use LRMogrify when needed to add watermarks and borders etc.

Hope this helps a little.

DannyH
15th March 2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks John. That is a nice workflow and I can save it and see the file size that way. I'll have to look up saving as a PSD, as I'lm not familiar with it. Almost everyone I know saves and works with TIFF files, but I do not know why.

theMusicMan
16th March 2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks John. That is a nice workflow and I can save it and see the file size that way. I'll have to look up saving as a PSD, as I'lm not familiar with it. Almost everyone I know saves and works with TIFF files, but I do not know why.
It is easy enough to change the file LR generates when you select 'Edit In' by clicking the drop down list for 'File Format' in the 1st image.

You then have TIFF or PSD to select;

http://img.skitch.com/20090316-m9wx91gj8sy3mrtehg47h48gyn.jpg

I see others working with TIFF files too Danny, but have always worked with PSD (which is the Photoshop native format as far as I remember).

Glad it helped though.

donmcmahan
12th June 2009, 03:13 PM
like all things Adobe there are no end of different ways to do anything and most are quite complicated, the easiest way i have found to convert a raw file to a jpeg of the right size for posting in galleries on this site or on Flicker or for emailing is simply to use the export for email function, just right click on the thumbnail in Lightroom select "export" then "for email" the first time you use it you specify the size and then the folder in which to save it, the default being to create a "email" folder in the picture folder. after the first time it will automaticaly use those settings. then you just export for email and when you are posting the image you just navigate to the email folder from the picture uploader and there it is. the advantage of this method is that it all happens right in Lightroom, no going over and back to Photoshop, this is particularly useful to those who don't have Photoshop. *chr