PDA

View Full Version : snoots/grids

Jonesgj
14th March 2009, 03:45 PM
Okay, I had lots of work to do and then stumbled across this on the net.
Home Made flash Grid (http://stephenzeller.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/tutorial-homemade-grid-spot-for-your-flash/) - one of many sites. Being easily distracted I had a go. There are now straws, elastic bands and cellotape bits all over the place :D but I have made a reasonable representation of what it should be - enough for me to think about buying one of those commercially available snoots/grids for my FL36r.

Anyone tried this, or had experience with the commercial snoots/grids? e.g. I was wondering about Honl products.

Regards

Graydon

Graham_of_Rainham
14th March 2009, 04:31 PM
Unless you will be using these things a lot, stick to the DIY.

I use an old plastic box my business cards came in with a bit of Tesco carrier bag as a diffuser. A translucent film canister is used as a diffuser in the pop-up flash.

I'm about to glue together some stuff to make a Snoot.

I actually get a lot of satisfaction from making things and more from saving many pounds on something I will only use very infrequently.

Have Fun

MarkVarley
14th March 2009, 05:16 PM
I have some straw & card ones for my hotshoe strobes and a metal one for my mains strobes, the former get bashed around and I dont worry about breaking them, the latter doesnt get used for lovation shoots as it will get damaged en-route.

I'm all-for the home-made ones.