PDA

View Full Version : HELP! GTech vacuum cleaners

sapper
12th July 2018, 11:19 AM
Her indoors, Wifey wants one of those new fangled cordless vacs. I have been looking at the GTech ones, tried out my next door neighbours, it works fine, but thought I would seek out the wisdom of the folk here. Anyone got one, used one, can recommend one?

Otto
12th July 2018, 11:22 AM
Sis had one of their cordless carpet sweepers (not the vac) which was very flimsy and didn't last long, that's all I can offer.

Naughty Nigel
12th July 2018, 11:29 AM
You are paying a lot of money for the rechargeable batteries and charger, which will be knackered long before the rest of the machine.

Working time away from power is limited, and the motor will be less powerful than a mains powered machine.

I must stress that the above is a generalisation rather than a comment on the GTech machines, but you get now't for ow't.

CJJE
12th July 2018, 02:38 PM
Dyson say they are also moving to cordless vacuum cleaners - with a run time of around half an hour! So useless if you want to clean the whole floor - or house - but OK if you just want to do a room at a time.

I'd guess their mains powered cleaners will be on discount soon if they're stopping production?

DerekW
12th July 2018, 03:01 PM
The new trend will be for each room to have a battery run vacuum cleaner permanently on charge.

Otto
12th July 2018, 03:31 PM
I believe there is (or was) a system whereby each room could have a vacuum socket on the wall - just attach a hose and floorhead! I prefer the traditional corded cylinder vac with bags; I just replaced a bagless Vax with a Miele which can lift the carpet off the floor on just half power. On full I reckon it'd lift a parquet floor :D. The Vax was such a pita to empty I vowed never to go bagless again!

TimP
12th July 2018, 03:48 PM
Cow-orker really rates the GTech ones but I never managed to persuade him to bring one in to work to demo it. Seems to rave about the simple removal of compressed dust packets aspect of it.
I’ve been tempted a few times when I get a discount offer through the post but never actually succumbed. Reasonably satisfied with an older mains powered Dyson but the emptying and filter cleaning is a pain. Use a Makita cordless for a quick whip round the kitchen and porch floors but not really suitable for proper good suck on the carpet.

Naughty Nigel
12th July 2018, 04:21 PM
Dyson say they are also moving to cordless vacuum cleaners - with a run time of around half an hour! So useless if you want to clean the whole floor - or house - but OK if you just want to do a room at a time.

I'd guess their mains powered cleaners will be on discount soon if they're stopping production?

I would say that is more about designed obsolescence than evolution.

As I said above, the batteries are expensive and will be knackered long before anything else on the machine. Will they be economic to replace I wonder? Somehow I doubt it. :(

TimP
12th July 2018, 04:58 PM
Economic to replace? You’ve only got to look closer to home and things like camera batteries!

sapper
12th July 2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys. My neighbours tell me they have had one for 5 years and no problems, they really rate it.
One reason Wifey wants one is because our Dyson is too heavy for her and the Henry is rubbish at vacuuming the carpet. And I suspect the Dyson is on it's last legs.

Have to have a think.

Jim Ford
12th July 2018, 08:54 PM
I bought a Dyson cordless about 6 months ago, and it's brilliant! It's a Dyson refurbished one on their ebay site. It cost about £120 IIRC.

It'll do several rooms on a charge and is plenty powerful. The only 'problem' is that to keep the size and weight down the dust collection container isn't very large.

It's just so convenient to pick off the charging station, blitz round a room and put it back on charge.

It's like a general purpose cordless drill, compared to a mains powered one. Who uses mains powered drills nowadays?

Jim

wornish
12th July 2018, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys. My neighbours tell me they have had one for 5 years and no problems, they really rate it.
One reason Wifey wants one is because our Dyson is too heavy for her and the Henry is rubbish at vacuuming the carpet. And I suspect the Dyson is on it's last legs.

Have to have a think.

My wife has the same concerns about the Dyson its too heavy. So I do the vacuuming!

That said none of the rechargeable ones last long enough to do a house or have enough suck to really clean a carpet. She did get a Karcha window cleaning vacuum thing which lasts 20 minutes and then takes 4 hours to recharge. Battery tech still isn't there yet in my opinion.

Naughty Nigel
12th July 2018, 09:07 PM
It's like a general purpose cordless drill, compared to a mains powered one. Who uses mains powered drills nowadays?

Jim

Fair point, but drills tend to be used intermittently and only for short periods.

When SWMBO gets the vacuum cleaner out I swear she doesn't give up until she can see the carpet thread, especially if family are expected. :rolleyes:

Jim Ford
12th July 2018, 10:59 PM
Fair point, but drills tend to be used intermittently and only for short periods.

You won't see builders using anything but a battery drill nowadays, unless it's something like a Kango. A cordless vac. is a revelation to use - just the same as a cordless drill. They're so quick and easy to handle and use. I wouldn't go back to a corded one.

Jim

shotokan101
13th July 2018, 12:23 AM

Have to have a think.

Did they!even do a cordless 5 years ago? :confused:

Naughty Nigel
13th July 2018, 07:02 AM
Drilling engineering or burnt rustic brick with even an 18 volt good quality battery hammer drill takes twice as long as with a 240V mains equivalent and replacement batteries are definitely not cheap.

John

Come to think of it, I have never come across a rechargeable core drill! :)

Otto
13th July 2018, 08:02 AM
Who uses mains powered drills nowadays?

Anyone who wants to put anything on the wall around here. Solid stone walls just laugh at battery drills!

Gate Keeper
13th July 2018, 02:47 PM
I have used a G-Tech. It was powerful, easy to empty, simple to use, but it ripped some of the cord out of an old carpet in our flat in London, so I gave it away and went back to a mains Hoover without a bag.

OM USer
13th July 2018, 03:22 PM
We had a "Dustbuster" some years ago (so it would have been Ni-Cad based). It never held its charge, only worked for about 10 minutes even after a fresh charge, and had so little suction if left dirt behine rather than pick it up.

I have had many cordless drills (Ni-Cad and Li-Ion). The good ones are good but only in wood and plaster. For brick, concrete, or stone you need a mains powered motor. I have even found on some walls that my regular mains power hammer drill takes an age and have had to switch to my mains powered SDS drill (which is normally like a knife through butter at anything I want it for).

sapper
13th July 2018, 03:28 PM
I have even found on some walls that my regular mains power hammer drill takes an age and have had to switch to my mains powered SDS drill (which is normally like a knife through butter at anything I want it for).

What is a SDS drill?

shotokan101
13th July 2018, 03:30 PM
What is a SDS drill?

https://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/what-is-an-sds-drill/

OM USer
13th July 2018, 04:28 PM
...There is simply no comparison between mains powered tools and battery power. Mains wins every time. Maybe the same with vacuum cleaners...

Don't tell Dyson. I think think they have shot themselves in the foot with abandoning corded vacuum cleaners - but maybe they did it with a battery operated one.

Otto
14th July 2018, 08:06 AM
My 900W Miele has far more suck than my 2000W Vax ever managed. Saving energy by good design makes good sense. The Vax did double as a fan heater quite well though which was handy in the winter!

al_kaholik
14th July 2018, 02:22 PM
We have a Dyson v8, its brilliant. It cost a pretty penny a couple of years ago, but I'm sure refurbished ones would be a good buy now. I wouldn't go back to a corded vacuum again. Plenty of charge to clean around the house in one go on the normal power. Easy to use and empty, bit of a faff to clean properly inside, but the brush bars come off very easily to clean.

The v8 was much quieter than the v6 which was a big factor to buying it. Intelligent battery management is also a plus.

The Dyson digital motor is a work of art. This guy does a good review, but watch it if you are around polite company or offended easily...

https://youtu.be/i0Rens9oKb4

Keith-369
14th July 2018, 04:52 PM
I would agree with al kaholik, the Dyson V8 is definitely a very good machine. We have an old mains upright Dyson and a pull along newer mains dyson and the V8 is in many ways better, the electronic brush head is a marvel and its suction is excellent. In all fairness, many older Dyson 'stick' vacuums were not good at all, their suction was poor and the brush heads were very prone to stopping. We have a DC35 stick Dyson which belonged to the M.I.L. and it really is not worth having in comparison to the V8. I personally would only buy either the V8 or the new V10 out of the whole of the Dyson range. That is based on experience.

drmarkf
15th July 2018, 08:29 PM
We’ve had a Bosch Athlet upright cordless for a couple of years and, within limits, it does a decent job especially for some types of use.

It’s light and manoeuvrable so really good for small spaces and for doing the stairs. It suits a “clean 2-3 rooms every few days, working your way round the house every week or two” approach rather than “spend all day cleaning and vacuuming the whole house” because of battery life. Works for us.

It’s brilliant on hard floors, but less good at removing stuff from carpets (or, rather, full power is needed on carpets, which runs the battery down quickly). On full power it seems fine for removing animal hairs etc.

It has been very reliable as long as you dismantle it properly to clean the dirt bay, head and filter. No noticeable battery fading, yet.

We also have a cylinder vacuum we use for tasks appropriate for that.

When I was a junior doctor the Hoover Dustette was famous in casualty for causing a particularly grievous and embarrassing injury to gentlemen keen to exploit its errrm suck. Depending on the anatomy with which they were blessed, the rotor blades were often just the wrong distance from the hose socket, and the result quite ruined many Saturday nights.
I believe the design of the machine was adjusted in later models to make it less risky.

Jim Ford
15th July 2018, 08:39 PM
When I was a junior doctor the Hoover Dustette was famous in casualty for causing a particularly grievous and embarrassing injury to gentlemen keen to exploit its errrm suck. Depending on the anatomy with which they were blessed, the rotor blades were often just the wrong distance from the hose socket, and the result quite ruined many Saturday nights.
I believe the design of the machine was adjusted in later models to make it less risky.

Thanks for the warning, Mark! ;)

Jim

MJ224
15th July 2018, 10:27 PM
Bit late on this thread, but have to admit being a lazy b****r and I use a Robotic carpet / floor cleaner. That wY I get more time for birding...*chr

sapper
16th July 2018, 07:12 AM
Thanks guys. Got a GTech Air Ram K9. Works a treat, just as good as the Dyson (when it worked).

shotokan101
16th July 2018, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys. Got a GTech Air Ram K9. Works a treat, just as good as the Dyson (when it worked).

How do you find the build quality? They always look vrry flimsy in the TV adverts

Jim

sapper
17th July 2018, 08:06 AM
How do you find the build quality? They always look vrry flimsy in the TV adverts

Jim

Because it has a 'wobbly' business end, it appears flimsy, but the build quality is adequate. I think the corded Dysons were overdone on build quality. Instructions not so good.

TimP
17th July 2018, 08:09 AM
Instructions? It’s a hoover, what’s to instruct? (BTW, my wife does this stuff, so I have no idea if instructions would be needed or not!)

sapper
17th July 2018, 08:24 AM
Instructions? It’s a hoover, what’s to instruct? (BTW, my wife does this stuff, so I have no idea if instructions would be needed or not!)

It comes in bits and has to be assembled. Most of it pretty obvious but there was something on it that stopped the machine switch from working, I didn't spot is till I was repacking it to go back. (They were going to replace it 'cos it didn't work). When I realised I rang to cancel the replacement and mentioned this and was told, yes it had happened before, which put my mind at rest as I thought I must be a bit dim not to see it when I assembled said machine.

Otto
17th July 2018, 08:40 AM
When you get several people reporting the same "fault" it's time for a design change! As I said earlier the build quality of my sister's G-tech electric carpet sweeper was very flimsy which would put me off the other products. I am intrigued by the idea of the Air Ram though.

Isn't it amazing how "hoover" has entered the language so pervasively? I went looking on eBay for some bags for my Miele and just about every listing was for "Miele hoover bags" :).

TimP
17th July 2018, 08:56 AM
The hoover thing probably dates from the 60s when Hoover were the commonest brand in the UK (I’m guessing here!). Other brands obviously existed but hoover works better as a verb than say ‘Electrolux’ - try it! Also, back then things like Bex Bissel carpet sweepers were pretty ubiquitous too.
We even say we’re hoovering the lawn when we use the Flymo on it.

al_kaholik
17th July 2018, 09:24 AM
It’s a hoover

It's a Vacuum:p If it were a Hoover I'm sure it would be easy. My experience of that brand is they aren't up to much...

I'm interested on long term thoughts on the G-tech. My parents recently purchased a corded Dyson despite my effort to move them on to cordless. They are a big lump to lug up the stairs

Naughty Nigel
17th July 2018, 09:36 AM
Isn't it amazing how "hoover" has entered the language so pervasively?

The hoover thing probably dates from the 60s when Hoover were the commonest brand in the UK (I’m guessing here!). Other brands obviously existed but hoover works better as a verb than say ‘Electrolux’ - try it! Also, back then things like Bex Bissel carpet sweepers were pretty ubiquitous too.
We even say we’re hoovering the lawn when we use the Flymo on it.

About fifteen years ago when our children were young we went into Comet, Curry's or whatever and were approached by a Salesman. Without thinking I said we were looking for a new 'Noo Noo', which is what we still call it today. :o

The Salesman gave us a strange look, but his colleague, overhearing the conversation (and obviously familiar with a certain children's television programme) came over knowing exactly what we meant! :D

Thinking back to the late 1950's and early 1960's I am fairly sure that Hoover was the first and only vacuum cleaner on the market in the UK at least. We didn't see many products from continental Europe in those days so there may have been others in other countries, but they didn't become popular in the UK until some time later.

For some reason the word 'Hoover' rolls easily from the tongue and is easily applied to so many situations. You wouldn't say the dog 'Dysons up scraps of food' would you? I think for that reason 'Hoover' has become part of our common language.

sapper
17th July 2018, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Otto;451319]When you get several people reporting the same "fault" it's time for a design change! As I said earlier the build quality of my sister's G-tech electric carpet sweeper was very flimsy which would put me off the other products. I am intrigued by the idea of the Air Ram though.

It was not the product that needed re designing, it was the instructions.

Naughty Nigel
17th July 2018, 10:58 AM
This is an old publication but still an interesting read *yes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1515776.stm

John

Very interesting. I didn't know about the history of Goblin.

Goblin somehow became better known for their 'Goblin Teasmade' which of course became a standing joke back in the day. *yes

Refusing to accept the knock-backs - when he [Dyson] offered his technology to Hotpoint in 1982, he was told "This project is dead from the neck up" - he persevered, and has since cornered the British market.

Maybe Hotpoint made more money selling the bags than the machines ('Hoovers') themselves? Where have we heard that before? :rolleyes:

DerekW
17th July 2018, 11:44 AM
We had a Hoover at home in the late 40s, a great big black object with a light at the front of it so you could see where it was going.

Every so often a service man would visit, strip down the cleaner, put in new brushes, belts etc. Then to test the machine the service chap would vacuum up any mess he might have made.

Just like the Dyson service agent does 60 years later.

al_kaholik
17th July 2018, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the razor industry! Rolls Razors went out of business because the blades were so good and could be sharpened. Cartridge throw away things then took over

Naughty Nigel
17th July 2018, 11:51 AM
We had a Hoover at home in the late 40s, a great big black object with a light at the front of it so you could see where it was going.

Every so often a service man would visit, strip down the cleaner, put in new brushes, belts etc. Then to test the machine the service chap would vacuum up any mess he might have made.

Just like the Dyson service agent does 60 years later.

I remember the early Hoovers did have a light in them, but the bulbs didn't last long and were rarely replaced.

Did the Hoover service man wear a white coat?

I remember when the TV service man used to arrive with a suitcase full of valves, and would swap them until he found the faulty one. He always wore a white coat. :)

I bet the Hoover service man took rather longer than the Dyson man does nowadays, and probably had time for a cup of tea.

shotokan101
17th July 2018, 11:58 AM
Because it has a 'wobbly' business end, it appears flimsy, but the build quality is adequate. I think the corded Dysons were overdone on build quality. Instructions not so good.

Thanks Dave - I too wouldn't mind hearing how it fares after some more use

Jim

drmarkf
17th July 2018, 12:18 PM
We used to have a Vorwerk vacuum cleaner back in the day - expensive, but very efficient and it lasted years and years.

One of my engineer friends likes telling the story of how they had a Vorwerk salesman call round for a demo. His standard spiel involved using the customer's own cleaner to vacuum an area of carpet, then putting a piece of light muslin across the tube of the Vorwerk and re-vacuuming the same area of carpet. Lo and behold, the muslin collects a mass of dirt and the salesman crows how much more efficient his machine is.

My mate John (who used to be a consulting engineer on multi-million pound contracts across the world) was not impressed.

He took a fresh bit of muslin and put it over the tube of his old cleaner and went over the same bit of carpet yet again, and you won't be surprised to hear that on opening it up it was just as filthy as the Vorwerk one had been.

'Oh' said the crushed salesman 'Nobody's ever done that before'.

DerekW
17th July 2018, 12:59 PM
White coat - cannot remember, the bulb used to fail as well. I learnt about electricity by sticking my finger into the empty bulb socket, the fridge empty light socket also was a bit of a magnet for my fingers.

OM USer
17th July 2018, 02:15 PM
I had a Goblin cylinder vacuum cleaner for a long time. It was very easy to service as you unclipped the end (to empty the bag) and all the bits just slid out. I also remember a hoover with the light on the front - jolly heavy it was being all metal construction.

TimP
17th July 2018, 03:14 PM
I've still got one of the old original Goblin cylinder vacuums up in the loft somewhere. Antique Road Show material ? :)

John
I guess with all those antiques there must be a lot of dust about so yes, maybe take it along and offer to help!:)

Otto
17th July 2018, 04:03 PM
When I were a lad my mum used to refer to her Hoover vacuum cleaner as a "vac", as did many others iirc. "Hoover" has since taken over for all the good reasons cited above. I've had a couple of Vaxes so I've tended to talk about "Vaxing the carpet". I haven't had the Miele long enough to come up with a suitable verb! Interesting article, John.

I remember a question on a TV game show not long ago about US Presidents. One contestant answered "Hoover". When asked for the first name, he thought for a moment and then offered "Henry?" :D.

TimP
17th July 2018, 04:08 PM
What was the company from the 70/80/90s that was notorious for hugely expensive kit, they came to your house to do a demo (same as mentioned above, pouring dust on carpet) and then you got a discount for inviting friends to have them visit to try to sell to them as well.

MJ224
17th July 2018, 04:26 PM
I remember my neighbours trying to sell me that on the pretext they were practicing their sales spiel...……..Good hoover but I could have bought a small car for the same money....Can't remember the name tho'...:confused:

Naughty Nigel
17th July 2018, 04:27 PM
I remember my neighbours trying to sell me that on the pretext they were practicing their sales spiel...……..Good hoover but I could have bought a small car for the same money....Can't remember the name tho'...:confused:

Maybe an early Apple product? :D

MJ224
17th July 2018, 04:38 PM
What was the company from the 70/80/90s that was notorious for hugely expensive kit, they came to your house to do a demo (same as mentioned above, pouring dust on carpet) and then you got a discount for inviting friends to have them visit to try to sell to them as well.

Kirby...…………….*chr

TimP
17th July 2018, 05:12 PM
Was it Kirby? Doesn’t ring a bell. I thought when I heard the name it would instantly be familiar.

MJ224
17th July 2018, 05:35 PM
Maybe you are thinking of another...………...*chr

Keith-369
17th July 2018, 08:28 PM
Something has just occurred to me, (yes it does happen occasionally). This thread has attracted 68 posts so far, all by males who supposedly rarely use a vacuum cleaner.

This means one of two things,

Either:

(1) Now the footie and tennis finals are over, we are all bored out of our skulls, or

(2) The concept that women do the vacuuming is a total myth !

Now where did I leave my apron ? :D:D:D

John

Maybe it's because we just want to find the best for them so that our ladies lives are made just that bit easier *yes *yes *yes :D :D :D :D

MJ224
17th July 2018, 08:40 PM
I don't mind switching on my Robo Cleaner. Just love to watch it for a minute or two...……..*chr

Boys Toy really...…...

TimP
17th July 2018, 08:59 PM
Surely it’s just an excuse to research and purchase something techie. Wifey is the only one that can see the dust so she’s the ideal one to operate said techie kit.

wornish
17th July 2018, 09:06 PM
71 posts and counting.
Maybe there is a case for a vacuuming appliance forum.

This subject seems to create more responses than Olympus cameras :)

This is sent by a Dyson DC55 stand up user, I am responsible for cleaning all flat surfaces in our house by order of HWMBO.

shotokan101
17th July 2018, 09:08 PM
Well Panasonic do vacs but Oly.? :eek:

sapper
17th July 2018, 09:13 PM
Well Panasonic do vacs but Oly.? :eek:

Maybe not Vacs, but they do a good line in medical stuff. When I had a procedure, I was able to watch it via Oly medical imaging gear.

shotokan101
17th July 2018, 09:50 PM
Maybe not Vacs, but they do a good line in medical stuff. When I had a procedure, I was able to watch it via Oly medical imaging gear.

Why on earth would anyone want to watch their Colonoscopy? :eek: :D

Wee man
18th July 2018, 06:33 AM
So they know themselves inside out?

I prefer to sleep when having one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

olbond
2nd August 2018, 12:29 PM
I personally have Black & Decker vacuum that plugs into the 12V. It works great to keep the seats clean. Maybe not as great as the Dyson's, but I can keep in the car as it costs below $100. If you want cheap yet powerful vacuum unit, read these reviews https://www.gurureviewclub.com/best-vacuum-under-100/ . Quite helpful.

Jim Ford
3rd August 2018, 08:16 AM
Why on earth would anyone want to watch their Colonoscopy? :eek: :D

There's a hilarious David Sedaris monologue about the subject. It's called 'The Happy Place'. Well worth searching out.

Jim

Otto
3rd August 2018, 08:40 AM
When I was vacuuming the living room yesterday I accidentally discovered that my Miele was capable of lifting the hearthrug entirely off the floor and holding it in mid air, and it's by no means a lightweight one!

Naughty Nigel
3rd August 2018, 08:48 AM
I personally have Black & Decker vacuum that plugs into the 12V. It works great to keep the seats clean. Maybe not as great as the Dyson's, but I can keep in the car as it costs below $100. If you want cheap yet powerful vacuum unit, read these reviews https://www.gurureviewclub.com/best-vacuum-under-100/ . Quite helpful.

I cannot see the point in buying a Dyson to Hoover out the car. It would be cheaper to buy a new car. *yes