PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Networked Drives in Lightroom... never finds them

theMusicMan
2nd January 2008, 08:43 AM
Hi All

This is something I have been meaning to find out about for some time, but haven't got around to it and I am not sure this is documented in detail anywhere else as I have never really looked into it (I should) but Lightroom seems to have a problem with networked drives - it simply doesn't find them.

I have a Mac Extreme router - and I have a networked external drive attached to this router - a My Book 250GB drive. When accessed directly from the Mac, I can gain access to this external networked drive quickly and easily, but when I run Lightroom, it does not see the drive at all and all the images on this drive are highlighted in red, and are unavailable for anything but viewing until within LR I 'Locate Missing Files' and manually locate the images.

Lightroom sees and works fine with my main 500GB external drive which is connected to my Mac directly via USB, but not for the networked drive.

Anyone come across this before. Any ideas here folks...?

emirpprime
3rd January 2008, 06:37 PM
Are you using leopard by any chance? It has some issues with automounting drives on the extreme router that Tiger didn't have. One way to solve it is to browse to the drive before opening Lightroom, then you know the Mac can access them and the drive is mounted.
Phil

theMusicMan
3rd January 2008, 06:42 PM
Yep, am using leopard Phil.

Here's an example of the issue I am experiencing. LR running on Mac, switched to it and this is what I see for images on the external Extreme drive..

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa14/themouthpiecedotcom/LR1.jpg

Items in red are unavailable for editing/processing as hey need to be re-read by LR in order to do so.

taxi
4th January 2008, 01:16 AM
I cann't tell you how to fix the problem, but I can tell you that Lightroom was not developed toworkover networks. This may explain the problems that you are getting.

try this website as it seems have some idea of network issue with macs
http://lightroom-news.com/category/lightroom/lightroom-issues/

theMusicMan
4th January 2008, 01:39 AM
Hey there taxi - I am not trying to get Lightroom to work over a network - my copy is installed on the local hard drive of my Mac. All I am asking it to do is to find a drive that is on a network which is where some of my images have been archived.

There is another issue that is network related and that is that one cannot access the same database of images using multiple copies of LR over a network as the data store is only a single instance of SQL.

emirpprime
4th January 2008, 06:53 AM
Did you try navigating to the drive in Finder prior to launching Lightroom? Did it help at all?
I'm afraid my only suggestion is that the drive is not mounted before Lightroom launches so it fails. This seems to be caused by Leopard as it doesn't auto-mount network drives like Tiger, you have to access them then it mounts them.

Good luck with it!
Phil

emirpprime
4th January 2008, 06:55 AM
If you have no luck, I'd try some Mac forums for hints. Personally I use Appleinsider and MacOSHints.
Phil

theMusicMan
4th January 2008, 08:23 AM
If you have no luck, I'd try some Mac forums for hints. Personally I use Appleinsider and MacOSHints.
Phil
Well that's just it Phil... I can use 'Locate Missing Files' and point to the drive and Lightroom will get busy locating the all of the missing files which then are made available to me.

I just launched LR 5 mins ago - and hey presto they are all there. It's an intermittent issue that I can't seem to put my finger on! The Mac was 'slept' overnight, turned on and bingo. The drive is always there when I look in the system so if I open Finder, I see it under 'shared'.

taxi
5th January 2008, 01:16 PM
Sry TMM, badly worded my reply.

Lightroom, is designed to work on one PC, where all the photos are stored. By using the network drive Lightroom sometimes has trouble finding the files, especially once removed and reconnected, and will search all folders until it locates the photos, but from what I have read in no particular order.

I cannot offer you an answer to your problem, I was just trying to make you aware that, although the feature does work it was not designed into Lightroom.

Gerald

theMusicMan
5th January 2008, 02:43 PM
Okies, many thanks Gerald. I do appreciate the feedback and information, thank you... :)