PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Screw up - help please

Pjphoto59
7th July 2018, 09:07 AM
I ordered an item costing some £600 from Amazon on 28th June. I asked for one day delivery to a collection point, my local post office about 2 minutes walk from home.

Amazon sent it by Royal Mail, and their tracking number showed it out for delivery from the local sorting office (a couple of miles away) at 7.15 a.m on the 29th.

It never arrived. Amazon then showed the item as late and that the carrier was checking. They also said, if it does not arrive by the 6th, please contact us on the 7th and we will help you.

What I want to do now is to cancel the order and have my money refunded. On the numerous tick boxes selecting what to do, this option does not appear. I ticked the box saying the Item did not arrive in time.

In the comments box, I typed “I cannot return the item as it has never been delivered, please cancel the order and refund my payment”

This has resulted in the inevitable e-mail from Amazon to me, saying that they will refund the money in 5-7 days from receipt of the goods from me.

Sadly, I paid using a debit card. If I had used a credit card, I could get the card company to refund me.

Anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions about what to do next would be appreciated.

I could print out the tracking details and take them round to the post office, but I doubt if it would do any good.

Beagletorque
7th July 2018, 10:48 AM
Phone them up and explain?

0800 279 7234

Pjphoto59
7th July 2018, 11:32 AM
Thanks for that, I have made a note of the number for future use.
However I have managed to solve the problem. I printed out the invoice and went to the Post Office and asked if the have an Amazon parcel for me.

First the brought out a small parcel, and so I asked whether they have another one. Yes they have, so I got my stuff.

The small parcel was an order I placed four weeks ago for an m4/3 lens back cap. Again, that was never shown as being delivered and I got Amazon to refund the cost.

What Olympus sent however was not a m4/3 back cap, but a 4/3 back cap.

I have no use for this, but if anyone would like it PM me and I will post it too you.

Beagletorque
7th July 2018, 11:34 AM
Good news, save the blood pressure pills for kickoff.

Pjphoto59
7th July 2018, 04:33 PM
Kick off? I am past all that now.

Beagletorque
7th July 2018, 05:02 PM
England 2 Swedes 0

Shaw
7th July 2018, 05:09 PM
England 2 Swedes 0

Well done England, the better team won.

Naughty Nigel
8th July 2018, 04:06 PM
I ordered an item costing some £600 from Amazon on 28th June. I asked for one day delivery to a collection point, my local post office about 2 minutes walk from home.

Amazon sent it by Royal Mail, and their tracking number showed it out for delivery from the local sorting office (a couple of miles away) at 7.15 a.m on the 29th.

It never arrived. Amazon then showed the item as late and that the carrier was checking. They also said, if it does not arrive by the 6th, please contact us on the 7th and we will help you.

What I want to do now is to cancel the order and have my money refunded. On the numerous tick boxes selecting what to do, this option does not appear. I ticked the box saying the Item did not arrive in time.

In the comments box, I typed “I cannot return the item as it has never been delivered, please cancel the order and refund my payment”

This has resulted in the inevitable e-mail from Amazon to me, saying that they will refund the money in 5-7 days from receipt of the goods from me.

Sadly, I paid using a debit card. If I had used a credit card, I could get the card company to refund me.

Anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions about what to do next would be appreciated.

I could print out the tracking details and take them round to the post office, but I doubt if it would do any good.

One of the many reasons that I avoid Amazon unless there is no other alternative.

Amazon is a big, unwieldy and inflexible American organisation that pays no taxes in this country, treats its workforce like *****, has total contempt for customers and is driving small businesses into the ground.

They also sell dangerous goods, including Chinese gas stoves that emit dangerous levels of CO and clearly have no mechanism for vetting what they sell.

Pjphoto59
8th July 2018, 04:57 PM
Well the odd thing about this affair was that the Royal Mail tracking showed the package, on the due date, "Out for delivery" from the Kirkleatham office, with a journey of about 2 miles to our local PO. According to PO tracking it then vanished.

Amazons response was to say that they had asked the carrier to check, and if it had not arrived in 7 days I should contact them for "help".

I do not know if Amazon contacted Royal Mail or not, and if they did so, how was RM unable to find the package at our PO? After the 7 days were up, I went there myself and found the parcel. Somehow our PO had failed to scan the right bar code. And RM could not find that out either. And this was a repeat of what happened to the previous delivery.

If it happens again, I know what to do although neither Amazon or RM does not.

I often manage to avoid buying from Amazon, but I am wary of the courier companies other suppliers use. Until now Royal Mail/Parcelpost was my favourite and if I missed a delivery I could always go th Kirkleathem Depot to pick it up. Perhaps that is my best solution, cut the local Post Office.

Pjphoto59
8th July 2018, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately I no longer have the tracking information which has vanished into the blue, but it did show points along route with date and time;

It came overnight with points recorded at

Dunfermline

Tyne DO

Redcar DO - out for delivery 7.15am

So someone at each of the stages clocked it through. If it had left Dunfermline and never reached the Tyne Depot it would have stopped there.

The place that failed to scan the bar code was my local Post Office. I am glad we managed to keep the PO open when they were being culled. I use them often and I have no wish to offend them. But when I went there and asked for my package, and two turned up one three weeks old and the other one week. I thanked them for the parcels and said: "You Know I was never notified that these had arrived, someone here did not report them"

She "Hmf!!"

Me "Goodbye now..."

Naughty Nigel
9th July 2018, 09:26 AM
Ouch ! I assume you're not an "Amazon Prime" member Nigel :D:D:D

John

No I am not!

They did once sign me up to Prime on one of the few occasions that I used Amazon, and it took some time to work out how to get out of it. :mad:

The checkout process was clearly designed to confuse, and by clicking on the wrong button at the wrong time I became a Prime member. How convenient for them. :rolleyes:

The irony was that the product I bought was not eligible for Prime anyway, and I had no intention of using Amazon for the next twelve months so I was keen to find a way out.

With regards to the gas stove; we purchased a portable stove for picnics and suchlike. The design was quite good with peizo ignition and a short, flexible hose connecting to the gas canister, but the flame tips were noticeably yellow, there was a pungent smell and the bottom of the kettle quickly became black with soot; all indicting incomplete combustion. I am sure you will recognise these symptoms John?

A check with a CO meter confirmed my fears that the amount of CO given off was dangerous, and could kill if used in a confined space.

Amazon were totally disinterested. The product was over 28 days old so they wouldn't offer a refund as the product worked as advertised. Would they issue a warning to other customers? No, Amazon only sells products and according to their T's & C's is not responsible for quality or safety.

I suppose Amazon takes the view that don't contribute anything to our NHS or emergency services anyway so why should they be interested? :mad:

MJ224
9th July 2018, 09:30 AM
Amazon were totally disinterested. The product was over 28 days old so they wouldn't offer a refund as the product worked as advertised. Would they issue a warning to other customers? No, Amazon only sells products and according to their T's & C's is not responsible for quality or safety.

I imagine you wrote this up on the customer reviews...…………….

On another internet site, I wrote a review which was not complimentary, they refused to publish it...(can't remember site nor product now. Brain overflow..:()

Naughty Nigel
9th July 2018, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately the Royal Mail tracking system is only as efficient as it's individual employees. If a worker fails to scan a parcel the system seems to collapse. The "First Class Tracked - Signed For" service is a joke as it only provides a scan when the parcel is collected from the Post Office and the next one after it's been delivered and they call that "tracking" :confused:

Regards,

John

I have noticed similar problems recently where deliveries have been made but the bar code has not been scanned and no signature has been received.

The key point here is that the Postie needs to be aware that the item is tracked. That was easy enough when the Recorded/Special Delivery labels were bright red or orange, but more often than not postage labels from Amazon, eBay et al are just plain black and white with a QR code on them.

Similarly, we sent a letter to our daughter at university with some rail tickets in. I used Recorded Delivery but there was no delivery receipt, and it took some searching in the university post room to find the letter. I suspect these were delivered in a big bundle and Postie simply didn't realise that there was a Recorded Delivery item in amongst the post.

Naughty Nigel
9th July 2018, 09:38 AM

I imagine you wrote this up on the customer reviews...…………….

Yes, but it didn't get published. :rolleyes:

Homer Simpson
9th July 2018, 11:18 AM
Amazon is a big, unwieldy and inflexible American organisation that pays no taxes in this country, treats its workforce like *****, has total contempt for customers and is driving small businesses into the ground.

And here is how and why:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/01/jean-claude-juncker-blocked-eu-curbs-on-tax-avoidance-cables-show

DerekW
9th July 2018, 11:55 AM
Amazon Prime is great, on the Friday before Christmas (22nd Dec) I had a network failure which required a new modem router. The internet provider could not ship one out until the 2nd or 3rd of January. An internet outage of this order would have probably led to a murder conviction so I ordered the required item on the 23rd and had it delivered the next day.

After the neigbours had had their drinks and nibbles and departed I had the new box installed and peace was assured over the festive ordeal. I was then able to help with the clearing up.

Harold Gough
9th July 2018, 01:28 PM
I had a sort of reverse of this last week from Ebay.

A tracking number was provided.
Dispatched
Dispatched
In transit
Out for delivery
Estimated delivery
Sat 7 Jul
Tracking details
Std UK Dom_1 tracking #2C040739900000000159D
Jul 2, 2018
04:52am PDT
Tracking

This is the full history of the tracking.

I received the item OK, my postie scanning it but it was never, according to the tracking ever in transit or out for delivery.

This happened for two almost identical items from the same seller, ordered on the same day. They were delivered on consecutive days, two days before estimated.
I informed the seller.

Harold

TimP
9th July 2018, 03:19 PM
Certainly sounds like the failure was totally down to the local post office, quite how Amazon would be supposed to deal with that, I don’t know. We used to have an Amazon Locker near us, it worked really well for most stuff but not at all for anything from their ‘Marketplace’ which I tend to avoid like the plague. I am a Prime member and given a choice would use Amazon more, bought my M43 lenses from them (bodies from Wex)