PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Phone unlocking

sapper
5th July 2018, 02:43 PM
My stepson is going to give me his 'old' iPhone, which is much superior to my old Samsung. But it needs unlocking. I have seen adverts for firms to do this, is there anything I should watch out for?

TimP
5th July 2018, 02:59 PM
Are you sure it needs unlocking? Have you tried your sim in it? If it was a contract phone then the original suppliers could well provide a code providing the contract has run its course.

sapper
5th July 2018, 03:00 PM
Are you sure it needs unlocking? Have you tried your sim in it? If it was a contract phone then the original suppliers could well provide a code providing the contract has run its course.

I don't have it yet so cannot try my sim card. It is on a contract i believe, he gets a new phone every so often.

TimP
5th July 2018, 03:14 PM
He should be able to contact the service provider and request an unlock code then. Assuming it is actually locked.

sapper
5th July 2018, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful.

Graham_of_Rainham
5th July 2018, 06:00 PM
Just ask him to do a total reset of the iPhone before he gives it to you.

That way all data on it is erased and it is unlocked ready for the next user.

Settings : General : Reset : Erase all Content and Settings

Graham_of_Rainham
5th July 2018, 07:00 PM
My stepson is going to give me his 'old' iPhone,<snip>

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201252

Wee man
5th July 2018, 07:34 PM
Not sure but if you both use the same network provider it should just mean plugging in your SIM card and away you go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sapper
5th July 2018, 07:56 PM
Not sure but if you both use the same network provider it should just mean plugging in your SIM card and away you go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We don't unfortunately.

Naughty Nigel
5th July 2018, 10:54 PM
I have bought several handsets over the years that were allegedly 'locked' to a provider, but none of them ever was!

Jim Ford
6th July 2018, 09:57 PM
If your Samsung becomes redundant Dave, it might be worth flashing with the latest 'Lineage' OS image. It may well transform the phone.

Jim

IPWheatley
7th July 2018, 04:35 AM
As soon as you put a sim card in an iPhone the device is locked to that particular network provider. It is possible to unlock them but it a bit more complicated on an iPhone than other devices and doing this will invalidate any warranty left on the device. All phones, apart from Apple that is, purchased from Carphone Warehouse are unlocked so when your contract is up and its time for a new handset you can sell them on and get some money back on them. I personally have an aversion to Apple products and have never owned anything from that company mainly on price grounds but that's just me. As for phones I was always a Samsung Note fan but as soon as I got them I would root them to get rid of all the bloatware on the device and then unroot them when my contract was up to be able to resell the handset, its called Jailbreaking on Apple devices BTW and again its a bit more complicated on them. Gone back to a Blackberry for my latest handset, love a real keypad. IW.

DerekW
7th July 2018, 08:16 AM
I think that wiith iPhones the use of a Sim only contract do not lock the phone to a network. I thought that phones were only locked to neyworks if they were bought on a contract that included the payment for the phone.

sapper
7th July 2018, 08:48 AM
I think that wiith iPhones the use of a Sim only contract do not lock the phone to a network. I thought that phones were only locked to neyworks if they were bought on a contract that included the payment for the phone.

I think this is the case with my stepsons phone. He is on EE, whoever they are :-)

Naughty Nigel
9th July 2018, 10:22 PM
I thought that phones were only locked to neyworks if they were bought on a contract that included the payment for the phone.

Not always. Quite often network providers sell handsets at reduced prices. In such cases the handsets usually come with the provider's bloatware installed.

I bought a Motorola handset from Three that was allegedly locked, but it wasn't. I also bought a Sony Z3 that was allegedly locked to Vodafone but it works perfectly well on O2.

In both cases I had to buy a PAYG SIM from the provider for £10 to get the reduced price, but once that ran out ...

These are the two that I can remember, but there were others previously.

I always buy my handsets outright and have SIM only contracts for them. I will not buy handsets on contract as a matter of principle because I view it as a rip off!

Otto
10th July 2018, 08:04 AM
I think this is the case with my stepsons phone. He is on EE, whoever they are :-)

EE is a combination of the old Orange and T-mobile networks. I used to be on Orange and they were fine but since the merger everything went pear-shaped and their customer service is awful. They do however have the best network coverage (or so they claim). Thankfully since BT took over EE they now provide their own service which if you're a BT Broadband customer can be had for as little as a fiver a month. If like me you live in an area with poor mobile coverage you can use wi-fi calling with an iPhone 6 or later, which is great. Have fun :).

MJ224
10th July 2018, 08:17 AM
EE is a combination of the old Orange and T-mobile networks. I used to be on Orange and they were fine but since the merger everything went pear-shaped and their customer service is awful. They do however have the best network coverage (or so they claim). Thankfully since BT took over EE they now provide their own service which if you're a BT Broadband customer can be had for as little as a fiver a month. If like me you live in an area with poor mobile coverage you can use wi-fi calling with an iPhone 6 or later, which is great. Have fun :).

My wife has EE. When we go abroad, EE take her to the cleaners.

I use "3", and find coverage good, and abroad I don't pay a penny extra...*chr

Naughty Nigel
10th July 2018, 08:24 AM
My wife has EE. When we go abroad, EE take her to the cleaners.

I use "3", and find coverage good, and abroad I don't pay a penny extra...*chr

I think you'll find that under EU law mobile operators now have to provide the same service throughout Europe at no extra cost. So if you have 500 free minutes a month in the UK you can use them in Europe at no extra charge.

However, the moment you leave the EU things can get pricey, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Vodafone now includes Turkey in its EU zone, but it can be very pricey using other operators.

All of the above concerns phone calls and texts. I believe mobile data is a different matter although most operators now allow 'reasonable' amounts of data for no extra charge within the EU.

Otto
10th July 2018, 08:33 AM
I was in the Netherlands last year and used my phone without difficulty and without charges for calls or texts. However, in the western Lake District a couple of months ago my phone connected to Manx Telecom and BT warned I'd be charged for data roaming!

MJ224
10th July 2018, 09:05 AM
I have used the "3" service in Australia and Hawaii, with no extra cost. "3" do publish a list of countries where they provide this service. Not sure about Outer Mongolia tho'...………….*chr

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations?#fah-m if you are interested...………..

Naughty Nigel
10th July 2018, 09:48 AM
I have used the "3" service in Australia and Hawaii, with no extra cost. "3" do publish a list of countries where they provide this service. Not sure about Outer Mongolia tho'...………….*chr

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations?#fah-m if you are interested...………..

I note that Turkey is missing from the list. I mention this only because it is, or was a popular holiday destination as well as an increasingly important manufacturing country.

sapper
10th July 2018, 10:56 AM
I have a close relative who can never remember which company provides his mobile service. He uses PAYG and is adamant that, as he hardly uses his phone, he only does a £10 top-up 2 or 3 times a year.

I was under the impression top-ups always had a minimum requirement of around £10 per month. Am I wrong ?

John

I used top ups on mine, £10 two or three times a year, till SWMBO nagged me to get a contract, £6.00 a month, which is not bad, it means I don't run out of credit.

Still waiting for stepson to hand over his 'old' phone.

Naughty Nigel
10th July 2018, 11:02 AM
I have a close relative who can never remember which company provides his mobile service. He uses PAYG and is adamant that, as he hardly uses his phone, he only does a £10 top-up 2 or 3 times a year.

I was under the impression top-ups always had a minimum requirement of around £10 per month. Am I wrong ?

John

I think you can top up with as little as £5.00, but it depends on the network. Some networks carry credits forward to the next month, but others do not.

However, you need to be careful with PAYG as I found out to my cost.

I had a Vodafone SIM on PAYG for use when I couldn't get a signal from O2. I found this particularly useful in remote parts of Scotland and occasionally when abroad.

I always kept the SIM topped up, and using bonus top ups (double your credit if you top up today sort of thing) I had about £70.00 in credit. This meant that I didn't need to top up for a while, and with not using the phone to make OUTGOING calls Vodafone decided to cancel the account!

I could still receive incoming calls but was unable to make outgoing calls or to top up.

I tried every way to get in touch with Vodafone to find out what had happened to my missing credit, but PAYG customers are automatically directed to overseas call centres where they tried to deny that the account ever existed, and just lie to get you off of the phone.

I did have a PAYG SIM with another operator (TalkTalk I think), which used the same Vodafone network, but Vodafone pulled the plug on that after a while too.

The bottom line is that mobile operators don't like PAYG as there is no guaranteed monthly income.

Naughty Nigel
10th July 2018, 11:21 AM
Thanks Nigel.

TalkTalk, previously Carphone Warehouse took over the AOL ISP service we used to have. They turned out to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. Lies, deceipt, and actions bordering on the illegal. I cringe every time I see one of their adverts now. I would advise anyone not to go anywhere near any of the services they provide no matter how attractive the deal seems to be.

Thanks again,
John

Sorry John, I was with Talk Mobile, not TalkTalk. They were very different, and I have to say, provided a very good and fair service until Vodafone pulled the plug.

I seem to remember that Sainsbury's also had a mobile service with Vodafone, and that too had the plug pulled on it.

The collapse of the Phones4u chain also had something to do with Vodafone if I recall.

Naughty Nigel
10th July 2018, 11:36 AM
I should add, please, please do not enter into any agreement with an outfit called ICE Communications based in Crewe, (previously called TalkFair) because you WILL be ripped off.

They deliberately miss-sold me a contract, and then tried to sue me for just shy of £7,000 plus costs when I terminated it! I am by no means alone in this. It seems that most people just pay up rather than risk being taken to court, but I am not 'most people' so I rolled the dice, went all the way and won, but it was not a pleasant experience.

There are a lot of nasty people in the mobile phone industry.

sapper
12th July 2018, 07:52 AM
I am still waiting for stepson to let me have the phone, but in the meantime thought I might just get the new Huawei P20, only £28.99 for two years. (I don't think so)

Jim Ford
12th July 2018, 09:03 AM
I've been using giffgaff for a few years and never had any problems with their service, though I suspect that it might not still be the cheapest.

Jim

MJ224
12th July 2018, 09:24 AM
I had a year with Avoidafone………...never again...……...*chr

Otto
12th July 2018, 11:26 AM
Or Vodkafone as a friend of mine calls them. I did have a payg phone from themyears ago, an old Nokia, but when I moved here there was no signal so I had to buy a dual-band phone so I could use Orange.

The likes of Giffgaff, Tesco Mobile etc all buy their service from the four major networks, the only difference being price and customer service - much like the energy companies!

Naughty Nigel
12th July 2018, 12:25 PM
I doubt very much whether UK phone companies understand the concept of Customer Service or if it's even part of their vocabulary :D

John

Just read their T's & C's. Some are downright scary, but don't expect their fast talking salesmen to warn you about them in advance. :mad:

Jim Ford
12th July 2018, 11:01 PM
Giffgaff 'piggybacks' off O2.

Jim

MJ224
13th July 2018, 09:28 AM
Giffgaff 'piggybacks' off O2.

Jim

As does Tesco, but cheaper and more flexible....

Jim Ford
13th July 2018, 10:37 AM
As does Tesco, but cheaper and more flexible....

Thanks - I'll look into it.

Jim

Jim Ford
13th July 2018, 10:46 AM
Hmm - Giffgaff £10 per month 3G data, unlimited texts and minutes, with no contract. Tesco £10 per month 3G data, 5000 texts and 500 minutes + 12 month contract.

Giffgaff wins hands down on value and flexibility!

Jim

Naughty Nigel
13th July 2018, 10:49 AM
Hmm - Giffgaff £10 per month 3G data, unlimited texts and minutes, with no contract. Tesco £10 per month 3G data, 5000 texts and 500 minutes + 12 month contract.

Giffgaff wins hands down on value and flexibility!

Jim

I think that is what MJ224 said, but it could be read either way.

Naughty Nigel
13th July 2018, 11:08 AM
Or Vodkafone as a friend of mine calls them.

The only reason that I ever used Vodkafone (or Avoidafone if you prefer) is that their telephone coverage is, or was better than the other operators, and even today in parts of Scotland and the Scottish isles it is the only network that actually works. However, they are expensive, and their 3G/4G service is nowhere near as good as the competition.

The Vodkafone network was used by several third parties including Sainsbury's and Talk Mobile, but one by one Vodkafone pulled the plug on them, and made its own PAYG service as unattractive as possible.

Otto
13th July 2018, 11:22 AM
Vodafone used to be useless around here but I think they've put up a new mast in the area now as I can see all four networks. I can only connect to EE though. It's high time the networks shared their coverage in rural areas; I think that was on Blair's list some time ago but it's never happened.

Naughty Nigel
13th July 2018, 11:45 AM
Vodafone used to be useless around here but I think they've put up a new mast in the area now as I can see all four networks. I can only connect to EE though. It's high time the networks shared their coverage in rural areas; I think that was on Blair's list some time ago but it's never happened.

When 'roaming' abroad you can connect to any available network for the same price.

I don't know whether network sharing was one of Blair's ideas but it was mentioned recently and the mobile operators said it wouldn't work and clearly didn't want it.

I think OFCOM also had objections because it would mean that lazy, profit-centred operators would only install masts where there was guaranteed business, and they would simply leave it to other operators to cover unprofitable, rural areas.

Personally I think it would be a great idea if it worked, and would save money, energy and resources.

MJ224
13th July 2018, 12:03 PM
The only reason that I ever used Vodkafone (or Avoidafone if you prefer) is that their telephone coverage is, or was better than the other operators, and even today in parts of Scotland and the Scottish isles it is the only network that actually works. However, they are expensive, and their 3G/4G service is nowhere near as good as the competition.

That's my experience too. Phone coverage was good, but 3G/4G was not as good as I wanted, as I had come to expect with other Networks. Out of date I would say, but that was several years ago to be fair...*chr

Naughty Nigel
13th July 2018, 12:20 PM
That's my experience too. Phone coverage was good, but 3G/4G was not as good as I wanted, as I had come to expect with other Networks. Out of date I would say, but that was several years ago to be fair...*chr

I had a Vodkafone 3G/4G data SIM in my laptop for a while. I found it painfully slow to the point that I would say it was nigh impossible to use all of the bandwidth that I paid for.

I switched to Three for data which was a hundred times better, whilst O2 also seems to have caught up (now being owned by Three).

I have heard that EE is very good for data but I have also heard horror stores about customer service. :rolleyes:

Otto
13th July 2018, 01:14 PM
The trouble I found with EE is not only that their customer service is lousy but that I needed it so often! Since switching to BT, which uses the EE network, I've not needed it once. The BT Mobile app works properly too while the EE one never did. The old Orange web site wasn't bad but my experience with EE's was atrocious! Based on my BT data, the network works well.

al_kaholik
13th July 2018, 05:27 PM
If you haven't resolved this yet, all Apple phones are network unlocked. So long as its not registered stolen and the phone has been factory reset, you should be fine as soon as a Sim goes into it. Apple, unlike android, doesn't allow companies to install their own versions of software.

As to phone network providers, pick what is best in your area or whichever is cheapest. I'm with 3 and their service is terrible on my commute, but my old contract gives me unlimited everything and unlimited roaming (except tethering) which is worth its weight in gold when we travel.

Have fun!

Naughty Nigel
19th July 2018, 12:03 PM
On a related subject this is of interest:

Ofcom - Latest telecoms and pay-TV complaints revealed. (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/telecoms-pay-tv-complaints-q1-2018?utm_source=social&utm_medium=facebook)

sapper
14th August 2018, 11:15 AM
Well, after waiting for stepson to hand over phone, I am fed up waiting. And getting grief from SWMBO and blood son re getting a 'proper phone'. One that can use 'WhatsApp"
So although I use Macs I am not sure I need an iPhone, but I could do with one that can run apps, my old Samsung Galaxy cannot it seems. I think I deleted an important bit of software on it yonks ago.
The kids all rave over the new Huawei and I wonder if anyone has experience of the Huawei Y6. I can get a 2 yr deal from Tesco that will give me all the data/calls/texts that I need at only a slight increase in cost over what I am paying. £10 instead of £6.
I sometimes long for the days of always carrying around 4d in my pocket for phone calls, but realise that the world has moved somewhat from them days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DerekW
14th August 2018, 11:23 AM
It will route all your calls via the Chinese Security Service

Otto
14th August 2018, 12:06 PM
You might consider a used iPhone, eBay is full of them at quite sensible prices from suppliers who offer a warranty. I bought an iPhone 4S a few years ago for a shade over £100 and it still works well, but won't run the later versions of iOS. I bought an iPhone 6 two years ago for about £220, a fraction of the new price, and that's fine too although it has just had a new battery fitted - Apple have a special offer on till the end of this year due to the known issues with iPhone 6 batteries.
If you want a cheap smartphone the Motorola range is well regarded.

sapper
14th August 2018, 02:18 PM
Dave, if your existing phone is missing essential software, have you tried to reset it back to Factory Status ?

John

No John, not sure how to do that, I will have a look, ta.

Naughty Nigel
14th August 2018, 02:46 PM
No John, not sure how to do that, I will have a look, ta.

There will be a menu option somewhere to do a factory reset.

Sony have a web utility which allows you do download the latest OS for the phone in question so that you reset to the latest software. This is downloaded directly to the phone via USB. I am sure other Android phone manufacturers have similar apps.

If it is an Apple phone you can reset it and automatically install the latest IOS version.

In either case you can back up phone settings and documents to the cloud (Google or iCloud) to restore to your device, but I generally avoid this in case it was a setting that caused the problem in the first place.

sapper
5th September 2018, 08:58 AM
Got myself a used iphone 6s, now need info re using it to trigger the camera. Advice please.

TimP
5th September 2018, 09:52 AM
Having never tried it up until today (I know, shame on me!) you’ll need to install the Oly Image Share App to get started, then the top option is ‘Remote Control’

It’s a bit of a faff having to set up Wi-fi on the camera (obviously assuming a Wi-fi enabled camera here!), then you get an option to scan it from the phone and after a bit of jiggery pokery jobs a good ‘un! Get the app installed first and come back here for more advice if needed.