PDA

View Full Version : I am short of cash!

Gate Keeper
27th June 2018, 12:59 PM
Over the weekend, we stayed in a safari lodge in Tsavo overlooking a water hole. Whilst in the veranda of the restaurant, I was doing filming and taking photos of the wildlife.

Another guest in the restaurant asked to pay for his drinks. The waiter came and said his bar bill was 13,000 KES / £100!

The guest said in a booming deep voice, “I am short of cash at the moment, can I send it to you”??? to which the waiter replied, I will just get the manager. The manager came and said “Yes, that is perfectly acceptable”.

Hotel bar bills are notoriously expensive at these places and I wondered if I would have the nerve to announce to everyone around me in a restaurant, that I couldn’t pay my bill.

Would you have the nerve or what would you do?

Graham_of_Rainham
27th June 2018, 02:05 PM
We had a meal in Spain and when it came to the bill, they said it was their first day opening and they didn't have the card machine working yet. I had very little cash so couldn't pay.

That's ok! they said, pay us tomorrow...

As we were leaving the next morning, I walked down to the bank, drew out the cash and paid them. They refused to take the tip.

pdk42
27th June 2018, 04:04 PM
Had a similar experience in Spain. It was a business meal with about 10 of us. We took three taxis to the restaurant and had a very nice meal. Come bill time I took out my card only to be informed that they didn't take cards. Since it was a sizable bill and none of us had the Spanish skills to discuss complicated payment options it was a case of finding the cash. By everyone emptying their pockets we just about scraped together the amount required.

Instead of taxis back though, we had a six mile walk!

Shaw
27th June 2018, 05:36 PM
I had a similar experience in France a couple of years ago. The day we were due to leave for Eurotunnel, my car battery died. Benedicte, the owner of the B&B saw to all the phone calls, etc., and after the new battery was fitted, there was to be a 20k journey to pay the bill by card, but Benedicte offered to pay the €120 in cash, and I sent her the money on return to UK.

stevewestern
27th June 2018, 08:09 PM
Many many years ago I lived in South Spain - one day (in the early '80's) there was an attempted coup, tanks were in the streets in the cities and curfews were in place. My then partner decided we should go out for a meal, but all restaurants were closed due to the coup. We knocked on the door, and the family took us in, fed us their food, and see t us home very full, very drunk, and with a bottle of wine for later, and refused any sort of payment. It was a special evening and part of the reason why I love the place so much..

Naughty Nigel
28th June 2018, 12:57 PM
Five or six years ago we stayed at a place on Mull for the first time.

They didn't serve evening meals but recommended a place in the village about three miles away. However, we were told that they didn't accept cards and that the nearest cashpoint was in Tobermory, which was about a thirty mile round trip - or two hours of driving on Mull's roads!

We were then lent £100 in cash and were told that there was no hurry and simply to settle by card when we left!

I am pleased to say that we made many return trips there. :)

Naughty Nigel
28th June 2018, 01:46 PM
...... Or you could pull the Clarkson stunt and say "I'm sorry but I have left my wallet in the Jaaaag"! :D

https://youtu.be/7eWIrBOc3zE

Gate Keeper
28th June 2018, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone for writing up their experiences of compassion at its best. Years ago filling up at an Esso in Devizes and going to pay at the till, realised I had left my wallet at home. Shock, horror! The staff at the garage were not at all pleased. I was quite apologetic and asked if they could take my watch as surety until I could pay. I had used the garage several times before, it’s not as though I was a stranger, but I could see how unhappy they all looked. It seemed an age before I was able to talk them round. They did not take the watch and said they would trust me to come back with the money. I later returned and settled what I owed.

sapper
3rd July 2018, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone for writing up their experiences of compassion at its best. Years ago filling up at an Esso in Devizes and going to pay at the till, realised I had left my wallet at home. Shock, horror! The staff at the garage were not at all pleased. I was quite apologetic and asked if they could take my watch as surety until I could pay. I had used the garage several times before, it’s not as though I was a stranger, but I could see how unhappy they all looked. It seemed an age before I was able to talk them round. They did not take the watch and said they would trust me to come back with the money. I later returned and settled what I owed.

This happened to me when I drove off from my usual garage. They just asked me to pay next time I filled up.
When on the Isle of Skye we stopped at a cottage to look at some artwork. My wife fell in love with a picture but we didn't didn't have enough cash to pay for it, it was £250.00. The owners said, 'Send me the money when you get home". But Wifey found a cheque in her purse so was able to give him that. Restores our faith in people.

Gate Keeper
7th July 2018, 07:51 AM
This happened to me when I drove off from my usual garage. They just asked me to pay next time I filled up.
When on the Isle of Skye we stopped at a cottage to look at some artwork. My wife fell in love with a picture but we didn't didn't have enough cash to pay for it, it was £250.00. The owners said, 'Send me the money when you get home". But Wifey found a cheque in her purse so was able to give him that. Restores our faith in people.

A heart warming story with a happy ending. Thanks for sharing.