PDA

View Full Version : High Sierra Mac OSX

Gate Keeper
27th June 2018, 06:02 AM
Good morning folks :) I spent most of yesterday trying to resolve a start up problem on my MacBook Pro laptop. We came back from safari on Sunday and on Monday I loaded up the photos onto it, from 2 memory cards, 600. No problem there, so I thought......I will do the edits on Tuesday. On Tuesday and on start up, out of the blue, the system could only get to the white screen with the Apple logo. I was able to run a hardware diagnostics which did not find any problem - command and D. I did what’s called “first aid and repair” on the software via internet recovery, command, option + R. The start up problem remains. I have only basic technical know how and have decided to take the MBP into Apple in Nairobi. Has this happened to anyone else?

Shaw
27th June 2018, 06:41 AM
Good morning folks :) I spent most of yesterday trying to resolve a start up problem on my MacBook Pro laptop. We came back from safari on Sunday and on Monday I loaded up the photos onto it, from 2 memory cards, 600. No problem there, so I thought......I will do the edits on Tuesday. On Tuesday and on start up, out of the blue, the system could only get to the white screen with the Apple logo. I was able to run a hardware diagnostics which did not find any problem - command and D. I did whatís called ďfirst aid and repairĒ on the software via internet recovery, command, option + R. The start up problem remains. I have only basic technical know how and have decided to take the MBP into Apple in Nairobi. Has this happened to anyone else?

You could try one of the solutions suggested by this site:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/fix-white-screen-on-mac

Gate Keeper
27th June 2018, 08:24 AM
You could try one of the solutions suggested by this site:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/fix-white-screen-on-mac

Thank you Shaw for looking, thank you very much. Itís all coming back. I tried that site yesterday and the steps 1-4. In step no 4 with the Mac OSX latest installation, 17 minutes from the end of it, a message flashed up, ďcannot complete the installation, the file might be corrupted, try againĒ. After that I allowed the laptop to power down.

Gate Keeper
27th June 2018, 12:38 PM
In follow up to my earlier post, I took the MBP into Apple in Nairobi. The technician looked at it and said itís operating system is the problem. He will do a back up first and then the installation. I gave him a flash drive and asked if could turn it into an emergency Mac OSX boot up drive in case the white screen happens again. He expects the work to be completed by 5pm today or by tomorrow at the latest, £30 or 4,060 Kenyan shillings all in.

Naughty Nigel
28th June 2018, 01:02 PM
I think our son had a similar problem with his MacBook. It turned out to be an update which was either badly written or simply went wrong.

He was able to resolve it by installing a new OS via the internet, but you would lose any personal data that is not backed up. This also assumes that you have access to an internet connection that is able to provide 1GB or so of data!

Gate Keeper
28th June 2018, 03:09 PM
I think our son had a similar problem with his MacBook. It turned out to be an update which was either badly written or simply went wrong.

He was able to resolve it by installing a new OS via the internet, but you would lose any personal data that is not backed up. This also assumes that you have access to an internet connection that is able to provide 1GB or so of data!

Thank you :) I picked up the laptop this afternoon and everything is still there, the system was backed up and all is well. They said it was the update which messed things up, similar to what your son had. Fortunately Apple in Nairobi have a fast internet. Even though the laptop is password protected, they were able to get into it and carry out the work. I was not asked for the password. I wondered if they can do it, so can the crooks.

I am on pay-as-you-go and have to use a 4G pocket WiFi router made by HUAWEI. 12GB lasts us for 2 weeks and costs us 3000 KES / about £20. There is no internet landline, everything is on mobile networks.

Naughty Nigel
28th June 2018, 03:40 PM
Well that is good news Phil.

I mentioned this to my son a few minutes ago. For future reference: - apparently if a Mac will only boot to the white Apple screen, and if you can connect it to another Mac by Thunderbolt the first machine will be seen as a storage space, so you can access and recover your files that way.

I hope that makes sense but I will try again if it doesn't. :)

DerekW
28th June 2018, 08:10 PM
or boot the Mac with T key pressed down to boot it in drive mode.

Gate Keeper
1st July 2018, 09:53 AM
Well that is good news Phil.

I mentioned this to my son a few minutes ago. For future reference: - apparently if a Mac will only boot to the white Apple screen, and if you can connect it to another Mac by Thunderbolt the first machine will be seen as a storage space, so you can access and recover your files that way.

I hope that makes sense but I will try again if it doesn't. :)

May I call you Nigel? Thanks for the tip about using a second Mac. I understand what you are saying. In fact, I used this set up last summer. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and it was beginning to flag. Then my wife lost here new MacBook Pro and went out and bought a MacBook Air. By chance, I found her lost MacBook Pro under the sofa. She said I could have it, so I used the set up you described Nigel for transferring the files etc over. That is how I manage to keep a MBP in Nairobi and one in London, ha! the generosity of my other half.

Thank you for helping *chr

TimP
1st July 2018, 10:42 AM
I too have a 2010 MBP and it’s been a great machine for all this time. When mine started to flag I popped in a new 1TB SSD, maxed out the ram and it’s been flying ever since. When I did the SSD install I used a FireWire to SATA adapter, hung the new drive off this and used Carbon Copy Cloner (free trial) and duped the original disk. Obviously I was working with a stable and working machine at this point. Once copied I was able to pop out the old HDD and install the SSD. With the added bonus of a spare bootable drive containing all my files (up to that point) that I could safely store somewhere. I’ve done this procedure several times going from HDD to one of those HDD+SSD hybrids then to bigger SSD’s. I’ve also recently done a fresh O/S install and restored user settings from the original disk mounted as an external.
Mid 2010 MBPs didn’t have Thunderbolt, only FireWire 800 and mini display port (same physical as TB)

Gate Keeper
1st July 2018, 01:20 PM
I too have a 2010 MBP and itís been a great machine for all this time. When mine started to flag I popped in a new 1TB SSD, maxed out the ram and itís been flying ever since. When I did the SSD install I used a FireWire to SATA adapter, hung the new drive off this and used Carbon Copy Cloner (free trial) and duped the original disk. Obviously I was working with a stable and working machine at this point. Once copied I was able to pop out the old HDD and install the SSD. With the added bonus of a spare bootable drive containing all my files (up to that point) that I could safely store somewhere. Iíve done this procedure several times going from HDD to one of those HDD+SSD hybrids then to bigger SSDís. Iíve also recently done a fresh O/S install and restored user settings from the original disk mounted as an external.
Mid 2010 MBPs didnít have Thunderbolt, only FireWire 800 and mini display port (same physical as TB)

Hi Tim

Itís nice to chat with another a MacBook Pro user. I wonder how many of us here there are. Thanks for the information about using Carbon Copy Cloner. You have a better understanding on how these things work. I am currently on OS version 10.13.4 and am a bit nervous about installing the next update.

If I may ask, have you a preference for storing your photos on the new 1TB SSD or do you use an external hard drive?

TimP
1st July 2018, 02:00 PM
Storage is always a belt, braces and some string I’m afraid. Just going through the process now, having got back from a holiday on Vancouver Island. First I copy all cards to a folder on the desktop, check random files and take a quick pass through them with Olympus Viewer. Next I copy them (from the desktop) to 3 different ext HDDs and also to a networked Windows Home Server (original version).
The bit I’m not good at doing is to immediately reformat the cards and that results in the process happening all over again when I next want to use the cards! I’m paranoid about losing stuff so I create another folder, mark it ‘probably dupes’ and copy ‘em all over again before then formatting them. This time around I’m going to try to do it soon to avoid duplicating them and filling up the HDDs.

I’ve always upgraded the O/S whenever a new version appears. I’m afraid that it seems that as of the last version the 2010 MBP is no longer going to be compatible. I need to get a new one as I’m kinda stuck with where to go for photo library / edit software having used Aperture. Now Apple have binned it I think I need to move on and get all my past phot projects into something new and supported. Problem with getting a new Mac is that none of the current range have the interfaces I want (except the still available 2015 model). Really don’t want to buy the USB-C only MacBook or MacBook Pro. I’d buy a new Air if it wasn’t for the crappy screen on the current one.

Walti
1st July 2018, 02:35 PM
I'm all "Macced up" and have a 27" iMac as well as a 2015 MacBook Pro.

The iMac is the slower of the two machines, even though it's got more memory and faster processor, entirely due to the fact its got a mechanical hard drive and an external hard drive.

The MacBook Pro has a SSD built in and a 256GB mini SSD card permanently in the slot to give extra storage.

I use the iMac for photo editing and main storage and if I need to copy files etc simply Remote Desktop from the laptop if I want to stay local to the family!

TimP
1st July 2018, 03:13 PM
“a 256GB mini SSD card permanently in the slot to give extra storage.”

Please elaborate on this bit. I’m severely tempted to buy a ‘new’ 2015 MBP from the Apple shiny store, due to a complete lack of anything else, although a 21.5 in iMac has been on the cards for a while but then it gets to the point where I’m buying an out of date bit of kit (yes, yes, I know, a 2015 MBP is seriously out of date but it has lots of ports!)

Walti
1st July 2018, 03:35 PM
You need a card and a holder...

It's micro not mini sorry!

Micro SD card (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074RNRM2B/?coliid=I2L2GZQHGC3F6B&colid=2T24VWE3XJBYS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

Card adaptor (https://www.amazon.co.uk/BASEQI-aluminum-microSD-Adapter-MacBook/dp/B012F38H9A)

You can get cheaper elsewhere, and you need to check the compatibility of the adaptor with the actual computer you have (I've just pulled a generic one up) it simply works and you have an icon on your desktop for the add in card, I have photos and music on it and it's seamless!

Edit: PS you can use them in your camera in the supplied adaptor, but I've found them a little unreliable in this application - something to do with the adaptor apparently!

TimP
1st July 2018, 03:55 PM
Ah, OK, ta. I was thinking there was some fancy internal option. I use the SD slot a lot and would miss one on a new Mac laptop. Yes I could get a USB-C hub and plug all kinds of things in but somehow it feels a backwards step removing all the useful legacy stuff and the brilliant MagSafe PSU connector - idiots!

Walti
1st July 2018, 04:19 PM
I use a USB SD card reader which isn't TOOOOOOoooooooo much of a retrograde step..

(got one free with the high speed card for the camera)

TimP
1st July 2018, 04:27 PM
I got one of them too, mine came with a Lexar 2000x card (should hope so given the price of the cards at the time). Even one of those would be zero use with a new MBP though, no USB-A slots.

Naughty Nigel
2nd July 2018, 08:25 AM
It isn't just Apple though. All manufacturers seem to be doing away with useful ports such as headphone sockets, USB and so forth in an effort to make devices ultra slim and sleek.

One of the first casualties was Ethernet, because a bulky Ethernet socket apparently spoils the lines of a laptop; but you can buy a bulky and expensive docking station. Never mind that Ethernet is the quickest and most reliable way of connecting computers to the outside world. :rolleyes:

TimP
2nd July 2018, 09:04 AM
Ethernet is a good example, I much prefer a solid, reliable Gb wired connection to wireless any day of the week. I’ve seen some innovative methods of shrinking an RJ45 connector on some laptops so you’d have thought someone like Apple could do something similar. Wireless seems to be an excuse for the loss of USB-A too, anyone seen a wireless scanner?
The MacBook, lovely (if underpowered) device that it is has a single USB-C port for everything, including charging - you try telling me that isn’t a recipe for a disaster with constant plugging /unplugging.

DerekW
2nd July 2018, 09:31 AM
Agree re ethernet port for speed and reliability but many hotels do not supply an ethernet port in the room and only a few cafes have ethernet sockets for customer use.

WiFI is king regardless of any potential health risks.

Naughty Nigel
2nd July 2018, 10:23 AM
I suspect that sockets are comparatively expensive components to incorporate into computers and are prone to fail. External design also becomes easier without sockets.

My own Portege laptop is a very thin design, and the RJ54 socket requires a slight bulge in the underside as a result.

As far as the manufacturers are concerned they only need the machines to work until the warranty expires. :rolleyes:

DerekW
2nd July 2018, 11:59 AM
which in England is 6 years.

Naughty Nigel
2nd July 2018, 04:11 PM
which in England is 6 years.

True; but try getting any manufacturer to honour it. :rolleyes:

Naughty Nigel
2nd July 2018, 04:13 PM
On an Apple related subject does anyone have a recent (5th or 6th generation) iPod?

If so, does it have a built in FM radio tuner, (rather than an internet radio app)?

My old iPod Nano had an FM tuner that I used quite a lot, but I lost it on a Eurostar train (long story) so I am looking for a replacement.

Gate Keeper
3rd July 2018, 09:17 PM
On an Apple related subject does anyone have a recent (5th or 6th generation) iPod?

If so, does it have a built in FM radio tuner, (rather than an internet radio app)?

My old iPod Nano had an FM tuner that I used quite a lot, but I lost it on a Eurostar train (long story) so I am looking for a replacement.

I donít possess an iPod at all, how sad. Nigel, just giving your question a bump.

TimP
4th July 2018, 08:17 AM
Here’s another bump then. I do, an older Gen4 I think, which didn’t have a radio as an option. They use the headphone wires as an antenna don’t they? ( the ones that do have a radio option!)

Naughty Nigel
4th July 2018, 04:34 PM
Hereís another bump then. I do, an older Gen4 I think, which didnít have a radio as an option. They use the headphone wires as an antenna donít they? ( the ones that do have a radio option!)

I think I have spotted a fly in the ointment!

FM Wireless reception wouldn't work with Bluetooth would it? There would be no headphone cable to act as an aerial. Doh! :o

TimP
4th July 2018, 04:45 PM
This is the first mention of ointment, flies or Bluetooth!