PDA

View Full Version : Location.

Jim Ford
23rd June 2018, 08:41 AM
Why are some people so coy about revealing even a rough indication of their location eg 'uk' or 'england', rather than say 'essex' or 'derbyshire'?

Jim

Walti
23rd June 2018, 11:00 AM
They're afraid you might drop in on them unexpectedly! ;)

Shaw
23rd June 2018, 06:56 PM
Why are some people so coy about revealing even a rough indication of their location eg 'uk' or 'england', rather than say 'essex' or 'derbyshire'?

Jim

I've often wondered about that.

Jim Ford
23rd June 2018, 08:47 PM
A few times in the past people have asked on forums about equipment eg a lens. When I've had the particular piece of equipment I've considered that if they are near(ish) I could lend the item to them to try, or meet them up so they could try it. From memory when this has occurred, the poster has lived a long way away, but I can remember at least one instance where their location was too general eg 'england' so I've just shrugged and moved on, though they could be just down the road from me. If people are too secretive, I can't be bothered to engage with them.

Jim

Walti
24th June 2018, 08:31 AM
I had a phone call with a software support line, where you ring a UK number but obviously go through to the States...

As friendly chat I asked her where she was “whereabouts in the world are you? You sound like you’re in America” “I’m not here to answer personal questions” *click*

Bizarre!

MJ224
24th June 2018, 09:49 AM

Jim

Because my wife is paranoid.....*chr

(She does not read this forum..:))

Harold Gough
25th June 2018, 06:34 AM

Jim

It would then be apparent that some are registered under several different names and personalities!

Harold

Naughty Nigel
25th June 2018, 09:42 AM
I think it boils down to the fact that many people are wary of giving away too much information to total strangers.

We only have to look at Facebook to see the damage that 'too much information' can cause. :rolleyes:

There is nothing to stop anyone using PM if they want to meet up or say more.

Beagletorque
25th June 2018, 04:04 PM
Updated accordingly!

Jim Ford
25th June 2018, 04:53 PM
I think it boils down to the fact that many people are wary of giving away too much information to total strangers.

So they think that stating 'Yorkshire' rather than 'England' is giving away too much information that might make them vulnerable?

Jim

Jim Ford
25th June 2018, 04:57 PM
Because my wife is paranoid

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean to say the the b**tards aren't out to get you!

(Douglas Adams IIRC)

Jim

Naughty Nigel
25th June 2018, 05:05 PM
So they think that stating 'Yorkshire' rather than 'England' is giving away too much information that might make them vulnerable?

Jim

I wouldn't think that way myself but some people do seem paranoid about giving anything away about themselves. Maybe they have something to hide, or maybe they masquerade as multiple names and personalities?

I came across one forum where it was very clear that one member would post things that he had done, and then would log in with his other user name to praise himself. :confused:

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean to say the the b**tards aren't out to get you!

(Douglas Adams IIRC)

Jim

:D:D*yes