PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Jerky Video

freewheeler
12th June 2018, 07:31 AM
Hiya all, I've just tried the video function on my EM5 mkll.
The video I've shot is jerky on playback, looks like a series of stills on slideshow. So can anyone with more experience suggest a set of settings for me to get acceptable movies please. It's not a function I will use very often but I would like to know what I did wrong. I have a couple of thoughts, could it be that I'm using 4/3 lenses via an adaptor or the cards I'm using are too slow and reducing the frame rate will rectify it, stabbing in the dark really without spending the time to check properly or experiment
Cheers, Dave

MJ224
12th June 2018, 08:00 AM
What software are you playing the video on?

freewheeler
12th June 2018, 09:56 AM
Videolan MJ

AMc
12th June 2018, 12:50 PM
Does the video play back OK on the camera?
If so then the lenses and the memory card can't be at fault.

I had a similar problem which I partially resolved by installing OV3 on the affected PC with the camera connected - that updated a video codec IIRC.

MJ224
12th June 2018, 02:05 PM
Videolan MJ

Have to say I am no expert....

But I do do a bit of videoing, and have found that not all playback software runs well. Maybe they don't like the .mov files.

Can only suggest that you use a different playback software. Windows Media Player has always worked well for me, otherwise convert the .mov files to another format. NHC software will do that for you, probably at a small cost!

The Oly cameras have always given me good files, so would doubt its the camera. Apparently if you pan to the right, you might get a bit of shutter lag, but you have to pan quite fast to get that....

Good luck..

Mj..*chr

OM USer
12th June 2018, 02:55 PM
Are you using the video icon on the PASM dial or the red video record button? I am not a video expert but I believe that they function slightly differently with regard to the other camera settings they pick up. Go for the one with most automation to see if the video quality improves.

Ian
12th June 2018, 03:45 PM
As already suggested, verify that the video plays back smoothly in the camera.

If it does, the next likely possibility is that there is a mismatch between the refresh rate of the display and the frame rate of the video, in which case there isn't much of a cure.

You might need a TV with motion processing to see the video play back smoothly.

Ian

freewheeler
12th June 2018, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I've just downloaded a prog to enable me to change things about a bit on the recorded video, I always look for the worst case scenario when things don't go as expected (cup half empty lol).

freewheeler
19th June 2018, 08:17 AM
Well after playing around a bit, it's the VLC program that's not working as it should. Camera and Lenses working fine. VLC is supposed to be the bee knees too, play anything.
Many thanks again to all who offered help/advice.
Cheers, Dave

MJ224
19th June 2018, 08:22 AM
Glad that you found the solution...:-)

I have just posted a short video on the video page, Em1 ii works very well. My only gripe is that its slow to focus. Must read up to see if there is a solution to that...*chr

freewheeler
20th June 2018, 10:59 AM
Knowing your interests MJ. I watched "All is Lost" the other night with Robert Redford. I don't mean Robert was here lol, he was in it. Have you seen it?

Ian
20th June 2018, 12:39 PM
Well after playing around a bit, it's the VLC program that's not working as it should. Camera and Lenses working fine. VLC is supposed to be the bee knees too, play anything.
Many thanks again to all who offered help/advice.
Cheers, Dave

Can I ask if you found an actual solution? Did something else work properly when VLC Player didn't or have you simply established that the video plays normally in the camera?

If the latter, it may not be that VLC Player is at fault, but the aforementioned problem of a mismatch between the display frequency of your monitor or TV and the video frame rate.

Ian

freewheeler
20th June 2018, 12:58 PM
Windows video player plays the videos without any problem Ian. It may be that I need to D/L VLC again in case it hasn't installed properly because it normally will show just about anything without problem. I did D/L a freeware prog called Handbrake which allows making adjustments to a video and after I converted a MKll video I shot, VLC played it. I've not looked too deeply into Handbrake though as video is a secondary thing that will get used very rarely.

OM USer
20th June 2018, 03:32 PM
I have not come across Handbrake. Would you recommend it?

freewheeler
20th June 2018, 03:54 PM
I've not looked into it really regarding its capabilities OM. I don't know a great deal about video editing software so can't say whether its quick or not but it's free so try it and if you don't rate it, it hasn't cost anything

Jim Ford
20th June 2018, 04:39 PM

I use it occasionally - it's pretty good.

Jim

Ian
22nd June 2018, 11:19 AM

I've used Handbrake for a long time, mainly as part of a process to rip DVDs so they can be played on something like a tablet or smartphone.

I confess I don't know how to use it any other way so I'm intrigued to know how it fits into the discussion here :)

Ian

freewheeler
23rd June 2018, 10:17 AM
I just used it to change the frame rate Ian, in case that was the problem with the jerkiness, after doing so VLC played the video. I think reading your previous posts there may have been some confusion, the video wasn't flickering, as though there was a refresh rate issue, it just played as though it was a slideshow on VLC stop/start.