PDA

View Full Version : Chinese phone spam

MargaretR
11th June 2018, 10:07 AM
Anyone else getting spam calls from a robot, in Chinese? I've had a few of these in the past week, coming apparently from local or UK mobile numbers. Since everyone I know is in my contacts and would come up on caller ID, if I see a number I don't know, I don't answer and let it go to voicemail.

The recent voicemails are all in Chinese, in a robotic voice, with music in the background; needless to say I have no clue what they're about! Anyway, I've blocked those numbers, but I'm sure there'll be others.

Having googled on this, apparently there's an epidemic of Chinese robo-call spam going on in the US, so it now appears to have crossed the pond. I don't even have a chinese name, so heaven knows why I've been so favoured, but just be aware this seems to be the latest 'virus' on the airwaves. I'll be letting voicemail and 'Block this Caller' be my antibiotics against it!

blu-by-u
12th June 2018, 02:49 AM
Don't reply, don't answer. It's phone data mining for possible scam or future advertisement.

OM USer
12th June 2018, 03:39 PM
Not chinese, but yesterday we had 3 calls from an automated voice calling herself Shirley and stating that my IP address has been compromised in many countries and will be removed in 24 hours. Guess what - still working.

Naughty Nigel
12th June 2018, 10:05 PM
Do not trust caller ID!

I will say it again: Do not trust caller ID!

There are hundreds of mobile phone apps, many free, that allow you to call from whatever number you like.

These apps are often used by scammers to give the impression that they are calling from a victim's bank or whatever.

I know of one highly organised scam (on a business) where the caller claimed there was a problem with a bank transaction and asked an employee in the firms accounts department to generate a secure code (via a Pin Sentry type device).

The employee was suspicious, and refused to provide the information, so the caller asked who they usually dealt with at the bank and their phone number. Within a few minutes 'the bank' called. The caller apologised that their usual contact was on holiday, and continued to ask for the secure code.

Trusting Caller ID this information was given several times, resulting in a total of 1.2 million being taken from the firm's account within the space of about ten minutes!

The money was never recovered as the bank refused to provide information to the police about the receiving account holder quickly enough owing to data protection rules, and the need to protect the criminal's privacy. (Apparently a Court Order is required, and this takes time. Criminals are well aware of this 'protection'.)

Harold Gough
13th June 2018, 05:58 PM
Good luck to them mining my land-line phone!

This is a good excuse to hand up when my Chinese sister-in-law phones! *chr

Harold