PDA

View Full Version : Herts. Police Web Chat

Jim Ford
9th June 2018, 03:50 PM
I've just been chatting to Herts. Police about an abandoned vehicle.

At one point the operator (male/female?) said "Bare with me ...." to which I almost responded "OK - we've both got our kit off - what's next?".

I regret not having done so!..

Jim

MJ224
9th June 2018, 06:22 PM
I think your back up wisdom worked....

Not sure what computers they have in the nick....*chr

pandora
10th June 2018, 08:10 PM
He/She may well have put you behind bras ... *chr

MJ224
10th June 2018, 08:12 PM
He/She may well have put you behind bras ... *chr

Now there is thought.....*chr

Otto
11th June 2018, 08:32 AM
The bus I travelled on yesterday had a notice inside saying "Please remain seated until the bus is stationery". It wasn't route A4 though.

I think you can forgive a quick typo during a chat, but not a howler like that on a notice! Speaking of notices I was out for a walk yesterday on a bridleway I'd not been to for years. Last time there was a notice on a gate saying "Bridal Path - no motorcycles". I guess they might have splashed mud on her dress ...

Harold Gough
11th June 2018, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=Otto;448851]The bus I travelled on yesterday had a notice inside saying "Please remain seated until the bus is stationery".

They might have said "comes to a full stop".

Harold

Naughty Nigel
15th June 2018, 07:27 AM
It seems the use of homophones is now compulsory on social meeeja. :(

Sadly this now seems to be filtering into working lives, with many people simply not realising that there is a difference between 'whole and hole', 'two, too and to', 'bear and bare', etc. :rolleyes:

pdk42
15th June 2018, 07:46 AM
There's a howler of an error on a Waitrose cranberry juice carton that says this:

Notoriously tart we balance the flavour of cranberry juice from fruit grown in The Americas, with water and sugar to create a sweet, smooth, refreshing drink with a dry finish. Best served chilled.

Maybe the Waitrose people really are "notoriously tart", but I don't think that's what they are trying to say!

It's even on their website:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-cranberry-juice/456805-200091-200092.

My wife (who despite being French - or maybe because of it) is a stickler for grammar and has written to them pointing it out, but they don't seem to want to change it.

If you like apostrophe errors, you'll love this Flickr pool:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/470582@N21/pool/