PDA

View Full Version : Birdie Stuff

Harold Gough
9th June 2018, 08:17 AM
I'm not a bird spotter but I take an interest in the birds in our garden and put out seed, etc., each morning.

Last month we started having daily visits from at least up to 3 Greenfinches. This was after a gap of about a decade since they were last regular residents. A bit earlier, we had a small flock of Goldfinches on some days, only about half a dozen (usually as pairs) seen during the previous two decades. Both species are common in a sprawling estate half a mile away.

On occasions, we have seen a Green Woodpecker feeding (on ants) on the ground. Up to about 5 years ago, I used to occasionally see a Great Spotted WP feeding on a rotting apple tree, now felled and feeding fungi and slime moulds. This morning I saw a Green WP and and feed on our lawn and, within half an hour, a Great Spotted feeding on a rotting Silver Birch. I went to a position close to the SB ad kept still, to see male and female feeding, partly on the very mature ivy stems on a willow.

Yesterday, my wife saw a small, bright yellow bird on our flat roof and has not found a picture to match.

Harold

OM USer
9th June 2018, 05:27 PM
Like you, Harold, we enjoy it when the less common visitors decide to turn up. Keep us updated and see if you can grab some shots.

Harold Gough
9th June 2018, 06:07 PM
Like you, Harold, we enjoy it when the less common visitors decide to turn up. Keep us updated and see if you can grab some shots.

The finches have gone. Whether the WPs will return remains to be seen.

I ted to have the camera outside with me when I am out there.

Harold