PDA

View Full Version : Does Money really bring Happiness?

Naughty Nigel
8th June 2018, 12:48 PM
I came across this story earlier today via a trade organisation, and I have to say it is as surreal as it is bizarre.

A Russian Oligarch’s $500 Million Yacht is in the middle of Britain’s costliest divorce (https://www.marineindustrynews.co.uk/a-russian-oligarchs-500-million-yacht-is-in-the-middle-of-britains-costliest-divorce/)

Farkhad Akhmedov, a Russian billionaire divorced his wife Tatiana in Moscow, but the couple owned a lot of assets in the UK so Tatiana took her ex-husband to court in London and was awarded $646 million.

Farkhad Akhmedov is refusing to accept the court's decision, and is trying to get a hearing in a Sharia court in the Middle East, alleging his wife's infidelity and claiming that he is a devout Moslem. Meanwhile Tatiana says she has never seen her ex-husband on a prayer mat!

You really couldn't make it up. :rolleyes:

Zuiko
8th June 2018, 05:09 PM
How the other half live, eh?

Naughty Nigel
8th June 2018, 05:25 PM
How the other half live, eh?

I just find it absurd that somebody with so much money should go to such lengths to avoid paying his ex-wife, and mother of his children a reasonable settlement.

I have known a lot of such people play games with money, almost as if it is a toy, and that is exactly what this is.

I bet the lawyers are rubbing their hands though. *yes

MJ224
8th June 2018, 05:45 PM
It is obscene...………

And I am no communist...……...:(

DerekW
8th June 2018, 06:32 PM
but think of the legal fees coiming into the UK.

With a bit of luck all the resources will end up in various barrister's bank accounts

MJ224
8th June 2018, 06:56 PM
Barristers etc are not on the poor list. As long as they spend it quick...……….*chr

Naughty Nigel
8th June 2018, 08:33 PM
It is obscene...………

And I am no communist...……...:(

No; but Mr Akhmedov, might be. :)

Naughty Nigel
8th June 2018, 08:44 PM
but think of the legal fees coiming into the UK.

With a bit of luck all the resources will end up in various barrister's bank accounts

Let us hope so. :)

In fact virtually all of the legal work and insurance income from building, refitting and running these 'megayachts' comes straight to London. Curiously, most contracts around the world stipulate that English law will be observed, so any disputes tend to come to London too.

The bigger yachts are built mainly in Germany nowadays in converted naval dockyards, of which the Germans have plenty, but many vessels up to about 65 metres overall length are built in Holland and Italy.

The steel hulls and aluminium superstructures are often fabricated in Poland and then towed to Germany as Polish welders are about the best in the world.

Virtually all of the yachts are designed in the UK and are built with labour from all around Europe, but much of it is British.

Officers tend to be British or Australian, but there are other nationalities too.

Harold Gough
11th June 2018, 08:51 AM
Farkhad Akhmedov, a Russian billionaire divorced his wife Tatiana in Moscow, but the couple owned a lot of assets in the UK so Tatiana took her ex-husband to court in London and was awarded $646 million.

How much was left after she paid the lawyers?

Harold

Naughty Nigel
12th June 2018, 09:46 PM
How much was left after she paid the lawyers?

Harold

She hasn't been paid yet. :rolleyes:

Mr Akhmedov is refusing to accept the ruling of the High Court in London, alleging, amongst other things, that as a Russian he will never be granted a fair trial in London, even though his ex-wife is also Russian.

Mr Akhmedov is trying to get the case heard in a Sharia Court on the grounds that a); he is a man, and a Sharia Court is likely to favour a man's position, and b); he alleges that his wife committed adultery, which would almost certainly win the case in a Sharia Court, even though Mr Akhmedov also committed adultery and had a child with another woman. Men are allowed to commit adultery under Sharia Law but women can be stoned to death for the same offence.