PDA

View Full Version : Who's received their E-3 then?

Ian
14th November 2007, 08:20 PM
Who will be the first here to get their new camera - let us know here! :)

Ian

theMusicMan
14th November 2007, 08:23 PM

IanYou I bet...:):)

Ian
14th November 2007, 08:27 PM
You I bet...:):)

Yes of course :rolleyes: but I don't count (I'm on my third as it happens :D)

Ian

Vokesie
14th November 2007, 10:19 PM
Yes of course :rolleyes: but I don't count (I'm on my third as it happens :D)

Ian

in that case whats your opinion of the camera Ian

Ian
15th November 2007, 07:22 AM
in that case whats your opinion of the camera Ian

I ought to explain I was fortunate to be given time with two pre production models over the last three weeks and now have a production example.

So far - mechanically refined and robust, great viewfinder compared to earlier Es, I love the articulating screen, the 12-60 seems fast and sharp, image noise at high ISOs is better than I had hoped, I really appreciate the splash-proof concept of the camera with certain lenses, very nice to have up to 24 5fps frames in RAW mode.. so far so good. I need to analyse image quality more (resolution, dynamic range, colour, metering accuracy, etc.).

Ian

Vokesie
15th November 2007, 08:20 AM
thanks for that Ian, Is the veiwfinder brighter than previous E systems.

Also I would guess that this thread will be getting busy after next tuesdays press release. my made up order of events for olympus will be:

MONDAY:- Dispactch New E-3 to shops with big red sign saying "Do not sell until 21/11/2007"

TUESDAY:- Press release in london with announcement that will be on sale from 21/11/2007,

WEDNESDAY:- Shops all over england do thier best day in sales all year as they sell out of E-3 and this forum Crashes with the members saying I have mine

Westy
20th November 2007, 06:28 PM
Today had phone call from Digital Depot E3 bodies now in do you still want one? what a silly question,of course, my credit card number is*************. She said it should hopefully arrive tomorrow Wed 21st. I wont sleep tonight, not been this excited about anything for a very long time.Anybody else ordered through Digital Depot?:):):):):):)

Chillimonster
20th November 2007, 06:30 PM
Got the same call, but i didn't have my credit card with me, so gave them the wifes details :D

Paulpp
20th November 2007, 06:47 PM
Park cameras say mine is waiting for me tomorrow.

beardedwombat
20th November 2007, 08:55 PM
Park cameras phoned and offered me a body only but am waiting till friday when they get the 12-60 kit in. Charging £1699 with free 2gb Extreme III card.
Chris

Vokesie
20th November 2007, 09:09 PM
:mad:because I have ordered mine from a smaller retailer, mine may not arrive untill mid december, they have sent out one lens kit to the shop where I ordered it from, unfortunatly I have only ordered the body only.

i did meet the sales rep and the distributor and dropped enough hints that I want my E-3 NOW!!!!! whilst at the Press event,

I hope all of those who get theirs over the next few days have a lot of fun

Dave
Waiting Inpaitiently

dlinney
20th November 2007, 09:20 PM
Park Cameras e-mailed me late today to say they have an E-3 body for me.

emirpprime
20th November 2007, 10:36 PM
If you are really eager Vokesie, and it is possible what with deposits etc, Digitaldepot.co.uk (web and shop but phoneing prob best) have body only packs going spare, atleast of 5.15pm tonight.

More importantly...
Looks like i'm the first :) on this thread atleast. Gat a call from Digitaldepot on the way home, my train conveniently went through Stevenage so collected just before they closed. Also picked up a Canon Ixus 860 for my girlfriends birthday - a really nice compact I think i'll enjoy using too.

OMG! Having your own is a great feeling :D I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight. Going out tomorrow to play and get lost in the menus.

Look forward to seeing all our first shots as they get collected/delivered :)

Phil

Ian
20th November 2007, 10:49 PM
If you are really eager Vokesie, and it is possible what with deposits etc, Digitaldepot.co.uk (web and shop but phoneing prob best) have body only packs going spare, atleast of 5.15pm tonight.

More importantly...
Looks like i'm the first :) on this thread atleast. Gat a call from Digitaldepot on the way home, my train conveniently went through Stevenage so collected just before they closed. Also picked up a Canon Ixus 860 for my girlfriends birthday - a really nice compact I think i'll enjoy using too.

OMG! Having your own is a great feeling :D I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight. Going out tomorrow to play and get lost in the menus.

Phil

Way to go Phil! Can't wait to see some shots from you :)

Ian

theMusicMan
20th November 2007, 10:50 PM
Go Phil... go Phil... great news for you matey... (luck sod!!!)

R MacE
21st November 2007, 03:04 PM
Me, got it this morning, Digital Depot phoned yesterday :)

One question (which I've asked elsewhere) how do I get it to stop Bleeping, the manual says press shutter??? can't get that to work.

Any ideas Ian?

Paulpp
21st November 2007, 03:12 PM
Got mine late this morning and waiting for the battery to charge - be patient be patient be patient...........................
As for bleeping will wait and see - hopefully not, or you will have solved it.

R MacE
21st November 2007, 03:47 PM
Got it sorted, well someone told me actually. It's in the Tool 1/section D settings. I don't know how I missed it but there you go :)

I was lucky I didn't need to wait for the battery to charge, I just took the battery and CF card out of the E-1...........

.........All together now ..........Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh poor E-1 ;)

Have you registered for the Freebies yet?

Westy
21st November 2007, 07:38 PM
Well received the following text from my wife this afternoon

Your new baby has arrived. ie this is code for your bl**dy expensive camera is here.

I'm so glad she is so understanding,anyway got to go now the battery is charged up. Time to play.:):cool:

dlinney
21st November 2007, 07:52 PM
Phil,
May have beaten you; I collected mine from Park cameras at 16:35 this afternoon!
Derek

Barr1e
21st November 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm sulking.

Ian, any chance Olympus will offer me one of the three you have used?:D

Have fun all.:)

Barr1e

Ian
21st November 2007, 08:25 PM
I'm sulking.

Ian, any chance Olympus will offer me one of the three you have used?:D

Have fun all.:)

Barr1e

Poor Barr1e :)

I think the very first I used, which had some fairly obvious pre-production image quality issues, has been taken out of circulation. Not sure about the on in Istanbul, though that seemed to shoot cleanly even with 0.9 firmware.

Ian

Barr1e
21st November 2007, 08:34 PM
Poor Barr1e :)

I think the very first I used, which had some fairly obvious pre-production image quality issues, has been taken out of circulation. Not sure about the on in Istanbul, though that seemed to shoot cleanly even with 0.9 firmware.

Ian

Oh well - back to my dreams. At least the emporium has had four 70-300 lenses in and out and we are next but one on the list.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

emirpprime
21st November 2007, 09:57 PM
Atleast you can focus on the pictures! Those of us lucky enough to have our hands on one will probably be messing with settings and lost in manuals for a while, and forgetting the basics of what you need to take a photo. Perhaps we should all have mandatory OM1 sessions ;)
Hummm... I think i'll go set it on M and get back to basics, or atleast live view aided basics :)
Its the photos not the machine.
Phil

ps, I knows its easy to say. but true. :D

sapper
22nd November 2007, 06:32 AM

More importantly...

Phil

Jealous:D
Dave.

PeterD
23rd November 2007, 10:52 AM
Waiting for the call.....
Park Cameras expect 12-60 + E3 today:D. Car warmed up:cool:, dog anxious:confused: - Can't wait;).

PeterD

beardedwombat
23rd November 2007, 10:58 AM
Me too - credit card all warmed up as well - Come on Park Cameras............!

andym
23rd November 2007, 11:21 AM
I noticed on Tuesday people were starting to get their E3's.I had one on order with the 12-60mm from Digital Depot.I noticed on their web site that they only seemed to have the body in.
On Wednesday my curiosity got the better of me so I phoned them as I had been told last week that I was number 4 on the list.
I was told that there was more than one list!!! ie one for internet orders and one for shop orders and that they would not have anymore until next week.
Yesterday I was on a day trip to Antwerp in Belgium when my mobile went and it was Digital Depot saying my E3 and 12-60 was ready?????
Anyway picked it up this morning so I will not be on again until I've used it a bit.
Will post some photos probably on 4/3 user later.

All the best

Bo_Nydahl
23rd November 2007, 11:44 AM
Received an email fron Warehouse Express stating they have received no information from Olympus as to when they will receive E3's + 12-60. Looks like I might have made a mistake ordering from them, the problem was I have never used Digital Depot or Park Cameras to know how good they are or not. Looks like I should have trusted them.

Silver lining mode< All you guys can sort out the best settings so I will not have to bother>end silver lining mode.

Mike

PeterD
23rd November 2007, 11:49 AM
I noticed on Tuesday people were starting to get their E3's.I had one on order with the 12-60mm from Digital Depot.I noticed on their web site that they only seemed to have the body in.
On Wednesday my curiosity got the better of me so I phoned them as I had been told last week that I was number 4 on the list.
I was told that there was more than one list!!! ie one for internet orders and one for shop orders and that they would not have anymore until next week.
Yesterday I was on a day trip to Antwerp in Belgium when my mobile went and it was Digital Depot saying my E3 and 12-60 was ready?????
Anyway picked it up this morning so I will not be on again until I've used it a bit.
Will post some photos probably on 4/3 user later.

All the best

Great news. Gazumped again:(.

I hope to be using mine over the weekend too.

PeterD

Grahams
23rd November 2007, 12:14 PM
Had mine on order from Warehouse Express. Rang them on Wednesday but they still could not tell me when the delivery would be. Rang Digital Depot Wednesday afternoon and they said they had some body only on stock . Cancelled my order with Warehouse Express and received my E3 from Digital Depot yesterday. Not had time to play with it due to work commitments.

beardedwombat
23rd November 2007, 04:22 PM
Just had a call from Park cameras to say the E-3 + 12-60 won't be in till Monday. Let down by Olympus delivery service apparently. Too much to expect that they could deliver on a Saturday of course. I'm going to put the kettle on and sulk into my tea!

angelpaaul
23rd November 2007, 04:56 PM
Good news - Just picked mine up. :D
Bad news - gotta go out so can't try it out 'till tomorrow. :mad:

My 12-60 lens isn't in yet, delayed for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?

Never mind,at least I've got the camera!!

Vokesie
23rd November 2007, 05:33 PM
Can anyone who has recieved their E-3 tell me if the camera and the lenses come in separate boxes or is a set package.

no that Im getting a lens kit its just the above post and what my retailer are saying are conflicting a bit, I have only brought a body, and waiting for it imapatiently.

the shop rang today and appologised for the delay, and said unfortunatly they have only recieved a couple of 12-35 kits, in and no body only kits

they did say earlier this week that they wernt expecting any body onlys until mid december

emirpprime
23rd November 2007, 05:46 PM
Lots of sellers split packs etc to meet orders. But mine came in 2 seperate silver boxes, within one larger silver Kit box. I was given one of the boxes used to ship to the shop to carry it home as it was raining and there were 2 sizes, one for body only boxes and one for kit boxes, the point being they seem to be shipped to dealers as either kits or bodies, not made up by the dealer.
Though I suppose it is possible the lenses are delayed by Oly themselves and so they are letting the body parts of the kit go.
Body only boxes are shipping so I hope they get yours in soon!
Phil

PeterD
23rd November 2007, 07:27 PM
Just had a call from Park cameras to say the E-3 + 12-60 won't be in till Monday. Let down by Olympus delivery service apparently. Too much to expect that they could deliver on a Saturday of course. I'm going to put the kettle on and sulk into my tea!

Got the same message. Ran out of Diesel warming up the car:( The dog is dissapointed and had to take him for a walk instead:mad: Made a urn of tea to drown my sorrows:(

PeterD

PeterD
23rd November 2007, 07:35 PM
Great news. Gazumped again:(.

I hope to be using mine over the weekend too.

PeterD

Another few days delay. See my other post. Really dissappointed:mad:

Nick Temple-Fry
24th November 2007, 01:32 AM
Ordered on-line from DigitalDepot late thursday morning - in my hands 13:30 friday. Can't complain about the service.

Was going to leave it till march or so next year, but the temptation was too great.

Sorry - I know this is rubbing salt into waiting wounds.

Trying not to gloat

Nick

PeterD
24th November 2007, 09:19 AM
Ordered on-line from DigitalDepot late thursday morning - in my hands 13:30 friday. Can't complain about the service.

Was going to leave it till march or so next year, but the temptation was too great.

Sorry - I know this is rubbing salt into waiting wounds.

Trying not to gloat

Nick

The penalty shall be some uploaded images over the weekend using the E3;).

Seriously Nick, I'm glad for you - Enjoy

PeterD

PeterD
26th November 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi,

Just contacted Park Cameras.

More bad news I am afraid. The E3 + 12-60 kit lens may be in today or tomorrow. Even if its today, it will be delivered to the warehouse and then shipped to the shop before we get a chance to buy.

I've got to drive over from Portsmouth so my chances of getting hold of it today is becoming very uncertain. Can't blame Park Cameras but I do blame Olympus. They promised to deliver last Friday.

Now, where's that drink.........

PeterD

PeterD
26th November 2007, 10:38 AM
The penalty shall be some uploaded images over the weekend using the E3;).

Seriously Nick, I'm glad for you - Enjoy

PeterD

Nick,

Please cheer me up. How did you get on with your kit over the weekend?

PeterD

Vokesie
26th November 2007, 11:11 AM
:D:D:D:DMy wife has stitched me up a treat!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

This morning at 9am, I was reading this forum and expressing my disgust loudly at the fact that people were getting their E-3s and I wasn’t, as I re-entered the bedroom I whinged at my wife who turned to me and said “that’s It I have had enough” and produced a nice and shiny Olympus box containing my camera, “what the bloody hell are you doing with that” was my reply,

She had picked it up last Wednesday and told the shop if i rang to say that it has been delayed” She said “I was going to keep it until xmas but you were becoming unbearable”

What a big set up by both the company where I got it from and my wife. I can’t believe they have managed to do this to me, whole weekend of moansing and groaning, and to think she was goining to wait another month to give it to me

I have now got the camera but working this afternoon. So not going to be able use it until the weekend. Though I may take it into work with my job may some of the pics may make interesting viewing.

Barr1e
26th November 2007, 11:24 AM

This morning at 9am, I was reading this forum and expressing my disgust loudly at the fact that people were getting their E-3s and I wasn’t, as I re-entered the bedroom I whinged at my wife who turned to me and said “that’s It I have had enough” and produced a nice and shiny Olympus box containing my camera, “what the bloody hell are you doing with that” was my reply,

She had picked it up last Wednesday and told the shop if i rang to say that it has been delayed” She said “I was going to keep it until xmas but you were becoming unbearable”

What a big set up by both the company where I got it from and my wife. I can’t believe they have managed to do this to me, whole weekend of moansing and groaning, and to think she was goining to wait another month to give it to me

I have now got the camera but working this afternoon. So not going to be able use it until the weekend. Though I may take it into work with my job may some of the pics may make interesting viewing.

That's much better than one of my jokes.

Where's the pic?

Regards. Barr1e

R MacE
26th November 2007, 11:31 AM
Cruel, bet you didn't know whether to laugh or cry :D

Enjoy it, it took me a couple of days to settle in with mine, but it's nicely set-up now and has some great touches. A few negatives but nothing to worry about.

I haven't had a chance to try mine in anger what with shift work and wet & grey weather.

Richard

emirpprime
26th November 2007, 11:36 AM
Congratulations! Looks like there's a good reason for being a moaner ;)
Good service from the company too :)
Enjoy it!
Phil

emirpprime
26th November 2007, 11:39 AM
Look on the bright side. By the time there's some feedback and pitfalls fallen into you'll be able to pick it up and just enjoy, learning from others mistakes :)
Its taken me this long to really take any photos with mine :( life suddenly got busy once it arrived! Roll on the weekend.
Phil

PeterD
26th November 2007, 11:48 AM
Look on the bright side. By the time there's some feedback and pitfalls fallen into you'll be able to pick it up and just enjoy, learning from others mistakes :)
Its taken me this long to really take any photos with mine :( life suddenly got busy once it arrived! Roll on the weekend.
Phil

Thanks Phil

The price may also be reduced by the time I get it too - ;)

I am retired and will get into action as soon as I get it.

Peter D

Bo_Nydahl
26th November 2007, 11:51 AM
I decided not to go down the pre paid deposit route and take my chances. It was not important to me to be amongst the very first. Mine is now in transit from Ffordes...............WooHoo!

Mike:D

PeterD
26th November 2007, 11:53 AM

Now where is my wife........:(

PeterD

Vokesie
26th November 2007, 11:53 AM
Enjoy it, it took me a couple of days to settle in with mine, but it's nicely set-up now and has some great touches. A few negatives but nothing to worry about.

what are the negitives:confused:

R MacE
26th November 2007, 12:17 PM
Ok,

Plastic card and Battery doors, Shutter not as quiet as the E-1 (none of which are major issues but not as good as the E-1)

There isn't a seperate switch for Focus Mode. That said I've set up the Function Button to switch to MF.

My biggest issue is the Dual Function Buttons on the left Shoulder, the Meter Mode button in particular. I switch Metering Mode quite a lot (conversely I hardly ever switch WB from my default setting of Cloudy) I'd have prefferred the Meter Button to be where the WB button is or in that general area.

Thats about it. :)

Like I say, a few negatives but nothing to worry about.

DerekW
26th November 2007, 12:30 PM
I picked one up at the LCE fest at Soton yesterday, rather fortunate that I got to the show as it opened - by the time I was halfway thru the purchase transaction the last one had sold.

The Olympus rep said that they had sold 2 months sales quota already in the UK. So congrats to Ian and his "viral" marketing campaign <g>

Ian
26th November 2007, 02:11 PM
That's much better than one of my jokes.

Where's the pic?

Regards. Barr1e

Life usually is funnier - :D

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
26th November 2007, 02:36 PM
Nick,

Please cheer me up. How did you get on with your kit over the weekend?

PeterD

Fine - and contrary to Ians expectations in another thread I haven't yet been arrested for my sense of (for want of a better name) humour.

Sunday was uninspiring as far as light was concerned, shot some by the old canal in swindon - a rather dark area with an embankment on one side and mature bushes/trees the other.

If you subscribe to Alt.binaries.photos.original you will have seen a few bird (duck,cygnet, coot) photos I uploaded yesterday - nothing sensational.

Attached image was taken hand held at 1/20 s fd50-200 + ec14 at full crank with IS on, some sharpening has been done to the full size image to correct for compression, the two crops are just 1000*1000 areas of image, nothing done other than jpg compression.

I'm impressed (but I often am), whilst 1/20 handheld is not exceptional, with that lens fully open it is for me unprecedented.

Images were shot raw, converted in master, crop'd in GIMP, compressed IRFANVIEW. Camera settings are still at default.

PeterD
26th November 2007, 05:55 PM
Fine - and contrary to Ians expectations in another thread I haven't yet been arrested for my sense of (for want of a better name) humour.

Sunday was uninspiring as far as light was concerned, shot some by the old canal in swindon - a rather dark area with an embankment on one side and mature bushes/trees the other.

If you subscribe to Alt.binaries.photos.original you will have seen a few bird (duck,cygnet, coot) photos I uploaded yesterday - nothing sensational.

Attached image was taken hand held at 1/20 s fd50-200 + ec14 at full crank with IS on, some sharpening has been done to the full size image to correct for compression, the two crops are just 1000*1000 areas of image, nothing done other than jpg compression.

I'm impressed (but I often am), whilst 1/20 handheld is not exceptional, with that lens fully open it is for me unprecedented.

Images were shot raw, converted in master, crop'd in GIMP, compressed IRFANVIEW. Camera settings are still at default.

Thanks Nick

Just th sort of images I need right now. They say that moving water is calming;)

Guess what, Park Cameras have said that they still have not received their consignment which was originally promised on Friday by Oly. To his credit, he advised other retailers have already received them. I am waiting on a call when he gets back to Oly:mad: to query the shipment.

Maybe I was right in my earlier post that I shall get mine after the price drops:rolleyes:

Thanks again and cheers

PeterD

PeterD
27th November 2007, 07:40 PM
Hi all,

Cancelled my order from Park cameras and ordered from BestCameras. They have the E3 + 12-60 lens in stock and I shall receive mine tomorrow. Same price but with 4GB card, table tripod and cleaning cloths.

Reason for change of supplier was that they still did not have a definitive date for delivery. Same story, we expect delivery today or tomorrow. Its a shame for them as they have to bear the brunt from customers and lose sales when deliveries are not received. Staff at Park Cameras seem to be pretty good and helpful. It must be a dissappointing experience for them.

PeterD

emirpprime
27th November 2007, 08:14 PM
Sorry to hear you were driven to that Peter, but glad you're getting your hands on one!
Its a real shame as Park Cameas have always been one of the better e-tailers.

Look forward to some pics in the next few days :)
Phil

theMusicMan
27th November 2007, 08:52 PM
Having just checked onine, it seems that Best Cameras also offer a free bag and 4GB CF card with all orders for the E-3. Seems like a great deal to me, especially as they have them in stock.

Great purchase PeterD.

Here's the direct link to Best Cameras E-3 deals (http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Olympus_E3_SLR_body_705.html).

PeterD
27th November 2007, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear you were driven to that Peter, but glad you're getting your hands on one!
Its a real shame as Park Cameas have always been one of the better e-tailers.

Look forward to some pics in the next few days :)
Phil

Thanks Phil,

I agree with you, the staff I have spoken to are very friendly and helpful. Its for that reason that I feel sorry for them under the current circumstances:(. I was even prepared to ignore the extras that the other supplier was offering if they could confirm an actual delivery date.

I certainly have not been put off Park Cameras and I am sure I will use them in the future.

I can hardly wait for the courier tomorrrow. I have already got a couple of batteries charged.:D

PeterD

beardedwombat
27th November 2007, 11:44 PM
Park Cameras have told me that the E-3 + 12-60 is "definitely" coming in tomorrow (Weds). We shall see. I am hanging on with them as I want some other stuff too and can usually negotiate a deal of some kind. It is a shame that Olympus have let them down. They were supposed to have had the first shipment. Does not reflect well on Oly.

It is interesting that although this site is sponsored by Olympus, there has been no contact from them directly via responses to posts. There have been quite a few critical E-3 posts which might have elicited a response but nothing has been forthcoming. Perhaps they are biding their time......

Chris

Ian
27th November 2007, 11:50 PM
Park Cameras have told me that the E-3 + 12-60 is "definitely" coming in tomorrow (Weds). We shall see. I am hanging on with them as I want some other stuff too and can usually negotiate a deal of some kind. It is a shame that Olympus have let them down. They were supposed to have had the first shipment. Does not reflect well on Oly.

It is interesting that although this site is sponsored by Olympus, there has been no contact from them directly via responses to posts. There have been quite a few critical E-3 posts which might have elicited a response but nothing has been forthcoming. Perhaps they are biding their time......

Chris

Actually the guys have been incredibly busy with their roadshow, and, of course, the party last night.

I did receive a detailed response to the supply situation just as I was leaving the office this afternoon - I promise to post info first thing tomorrow morning.

From memory, some types of back order have been fully met this week with retailers receiving outstanding stock today or tomorrow - which ties in with what you have been told. Some items, like kits with HLD-4 power grips are in very short supply. There is a good supply of the E-3 14-54 kit. That's all I can remember off the top of my head! :rolleyes:

Ian

sapper
28th November 2007, 12:23 AM
They are probably a bit busy doing events and shipping the camera out.
Must say that I am dissapointed not able to get one as quick as other folk but life is just not fair.
Dave, hoping to get his before the weekend.

DerekC
28th November 2007, 12:24 AM
E3 yes I'm one of the many still waiting... Groan.....:(

I supported an independent retailer, and they were told as they only had the one on order they were fairly high up the order list. How wrong they had been informed.
I was like others I'm sure, annoyed to read people were able to by there E3 from the spare stock of E3's Digital Depot had.
With this in mind I went along to the E system event at Harrisons cameras in Sheffield and questioned the Olympus rep about this. He admitted Digital Depot had been sent too many.
So is that were my E3 went
I also ordered the 70-300, 2 months ago it should have been here last week, the shop had been invoiced by Olympus. But NO the carrier TNT have lost it...! So now waiting for a replacement from Olympus.

Going to Rally GB Saturday and no new lens or E3...!

You bet if it's going to arrive this week I will get the call Saturday Morning when I'm in Wales!!!!

Nick Temple-Fry
28th November 2007, 01:36 AM
E3 yes I'm one of the many still waiting... Groan.....:(

I was like others I'm sure, annoyed to read people were able to by there E3 from the spare stock of E3's Digital Depot had.
He admitted Digital Depot had been sent too many.
So is that were my E3 went

Can I just say - as one who bought his camera online from DD last week, that yours is a lovely camera and I'm greatly enjoying it!

Hope your retailer gets his stock soon.

Nick

ianc
28th November 2007, 02:50 PM
My E3 and 12-60mm has just arrived, at last. I have to admit that I have been suffering from a growing feeling of jealousy for the past week or so. Anyway here are my first impressions after an hour or two of playing. You have to remember that I have until recently been in photographic retail for over 20 years and so I'm used to getting to know cameras quickly.

Firstly the build quality is what you would expect, the camera has a robust feel. The only possible point of weakness is the screen hinge but having said that when the screen is turned in to the body and for me this is how it will spend most of its time, it is probably better protected than any other DSLR on the market with the exception of the Lumix L10 which has the same arrangement.

There are one hell of a lot of buttons on the body and these will take some time to get used to but the advantage of them is once you are used to them you will be able to adjust almost any setting without taking your eye away from the view finder. However the way the camera comes out of the box it is almost unusable, you have to hold in the button and while holding it turn one of the dials or use the arrow pad to adjust the setting. One of the first things I would recommend doing is setting the button timer, with this set you touch the button and do not have to hold it down while making adjustments. The camera will reset to normal after the time you have selected in the menu or touching the shutter button switches the camera back to normal. Once I'm used to the button layout I feel confident I will be able make changes without taking the camera from my eye.

As for the view finder its self it is a huge advance on anything that Olympus has previously produced. Big bright and with a good info display under the screen. The other thing I like about the viewfinder is the diopter appears to be better positioned than the E1's and less likely to be accidently moved.

The menus are sub divided in a way that is similar to the newer Nikons, grouped together in subsets such as focus or exposure/metering/ISO. Again this will take a bit of getting used to but with the huge number of settings it will make navigation faster.

There are a few other quirks such as having to go into the menu to activate the ability to set the best quality jpeg but having said that these are not really faults it is just odd that the camera comes set this way.

Of course the real test will be in using the camera and these are only first impressions. I will post again when I have had a chance to use the camera for a few days and have some results to show.

ianc.

beardedwombat
28th November 2007, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

Cancelled my order from Park cameras and ordered from BestCameras. They have the E3 + 12-60 lens in stock and I shall receive mine tomorrow. Same price but with 4GB card, table tripod and cleaning cloths.

Reason for change of supplier was that they still did not have a definitive date for delivery. Same story, we expect delivery today or tomorrow. Its a shame for them as they have to bear the brunt from customers and lose sales when deliveries are not received. Staff at Park Cameras seem to be pretty good and helpful. It must be a dissappointing experience for them.

PeterD

I'm afraid I've had to do the same.:( Olympus let down Park Cameras yet again - a pretty shabby way to treat a retailer of your products. They cannot give me a firm date so I managed to get the last E-3 + 12-60 at BestCameras. Got to wait till Friday now though, grrrrr! Hope your's turned up as promised Peter!
Chris

PeterD
28th November 2007, 05:11 PM
I'm afraid I've had to do the same.:( Olympus let down Park Cameras yet again - a pretty shabby way to treat a retailer of your products. They cannot give me a firm date so I managed to get the last E-3 + 12-60 at BestCameras. Got to wait till Friday now though, grrrrr! Hope your's turned up as promised Peter!
Chris

Chris,

I am sorry to hear that the delivery failed yet again but glad you have managed to secure the E3 + 12-60.

I think that Park Cameras are partly at fault which was the reason for me cancelling. I contacted Olympus Sales yesterday am to try and find out the story. Obviously they would not talk about the specific order but I asked generic questions. All European supplies are sourced from a Hamburg warehouse. Olympus UK use a courier service to collect and distribute though the couriers' own network to retail stores as per paperwork associated with the shipment. I asked if this meant that if a shipment was picked up by the courier then the shipment was trackable. They replied it was and that if the retailer were to check with Olympus Sales, they would be able to state the stage at which the consignment had reached. Now remember, we were promised delivery last Friday.......... I contacted Park Cameras and tried to pass this info on but the individual I spoke to was not interested hence my cancellation having firstly established stock was available elsewhere. Sad I know, but I am not too sure we should blame Olympus for everything.

Now, about my delivery. Still not received but they have another 20 mins to go. Waited in all day and it looks as though it will go to the wire.

All the best

PeterD

PeterD
28th November 2007, 07:47 PM
Chris

Address error on package meant that the camera was delivered to someone else:mad:, mid afternoon. Managed to get it:) and just loaded the hot battery and in the pocess of setting up and getting familiar with the controls.

Be out and about tomorrow -whatever the weather- and we shall see how I get on.

Hope yours arrives Friday, in good time for you to be able to use it.

All the best

PeterD

beardedwombat
28th November 2007, 08:34 PM
Glad you got yours Peter, let us know how you get on tomorrow. Probably just as well it's weatherproof!
Cheers
Chris

Melaka
28th November 2007, 09:51 PM
I ordered mine, body only, from Park last Thursday and it arrived on Friday. You can't do much better than that. Early photos are promising but I've not had much chance to use it yet.

PeterD
28th November 2007, 10:34 PM
Glad you got yours Peter, let us know how you get on tomorrow. Probably just as well it's weatherproof!
Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Grabbed the bull by the horns and took the dog & E3 out this evening. I have still to find my way around the camera but couldn't resist taking some shots.

I am really impressed how well the AF works even under very poor lighting conditions (street lights alongside a footpath). The images are not bad considering I am not optimising the settings although they are not good enough to show.

The other pleasant surprise was the upload times into Master2. Many times faster than the E500.

The 12-60 lens is impressive. The lens cover supplied has grips towards the centre so its easy to remove and refit with the lens hood fitted. I remember the problems with the kit 40-150 lens that came with the E500. A simple change but very worthwhile.

The actual lens plus camera weight was a bit of a surprise but as others have reported, they are well balanced. The drag on the kneck is noticable.

Give me a bit of time to get used to the camera and I shall upload some images.

Hope you have good luck in getting yours on Friday. Just a tip to avoid the problems I had on delivery. Ask them for the tracking number - they were not going to give me that info until after the last delivery time but its worth asking.

All the best

PeterD

beardedwombat
28th November 2007, 11:03 PM
The actual lens plus camera weight was a bit of a surprise but as others have reported, they are well balanced. The drag on the kneck is noticable.

Give me a bit of time to get used to the camera and I shall upload some images.

Hope you have good luck in getting yours on Friday. Just a tip to avoid the problems I had on delivery. Ask them for the tracking number - they were not going to give me that info until after the last delivery time but its worth asking.

All the best

PeterD

Thanks for the tip, I will ask tomorrow.

Re the weight, get yourself an Optech strap, I have this one: http://www.optech-online.co.uk/lst86.htm it's plain black so you are not advertising an expensive camera to muggers and does make the camera feel lighter around the neck because it is slightly stretchy, soft and very comfortable. Go for webbing connectors not the pro loop connectors. I used it with a Nikon D200 and can highly recommend it.

Look forward to seeing some images.

Cheers
Chris

PeterD
28th November 2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will ask tomorrow.

Re the weight, get yourself an Optech strap, I have this one: http://www.optech-online.co.uk/lst86.htm it's plain black so you are not advertising an expensive camera to muggers and does make the camera feel lighter around the neck because it is slightly stretchy, soft and very comfortable. Go for webbing connectors not the pro loop connectors. I used it with a Nikon D200 and can highly recommend it.

Look forward to seeing some images.

Cheers
Chris

Chris

Thanks for your tip. Been on the website and will order tomorrow. Looks like its just what I need.

Thanks again

PeterD

rich s
29th November 2007, 12:01 AM
Can I just say - as one who bought his camera online from DD last week, that yours is a lovely camera and I'm greatly enjoying it!

Hope your retailer gets his stock soon.

Nick

Yes, I'm afraid I was one of those who rang DD on the Friday and the kit arrived on Saturday morning. Park my name down and said they would ring when they came in ... not heard yet!

PeterD
29th November 2007, 10:11 AM
Managed to get off copies of my receipt and warranty cards to Olympus EU. Now its a case of waiting......

Friendly warning

I thought that the receipt was all that was needed but one of the items requires copies of the warranty card(s). I had to resend one e-mail as a result of my oversight. I also made sure the cards were completed with the names etc. Just belts and braces!

Regards

PeterD

Ian
29th November 2007, 10:24 AM
Managed to get off copies of my receipt and warranty cards to Olympus EU. Now its a case of waiting......

Friendly warning

I thought that the receipt was all that was needed but one of the items requires copies of the warranty card(s). I had to resend one e-mail as a result of my oversight. I also made sure the cards were completed with the names etc. Just belts and braces!

Regards

PeterD

I'll try to get clarification of this - but my understanding is that proof of ownership of a previous E-System camera is basically its serial number.

Ian

PeterD
29th November 2007, 10:42 AM
I'll try to get clarification of this - but my understanding is that proof of ownership of a previous E-System camera is basically its serial number.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Sorry I have obviously confused you. You are correct that current ownership requires serial numbers only.

What I am referring to is the e-mails to be sent to OlympusEU to claim the backpack and grip. Within the text of my e-mail, I have stated that all are registered with Olympus UK.

Cheers

PeterD

andym
29th November 2007, 10:49 AM

Friendly warning

Regards

PeterD

Very strange the promotion website clearly says a copy of the receipt only.That is all I have sent but have had no responce from Olympus.

Ian
29th November 2007, 10:56 AM
Hi Ian,

Sorry I have obviously confused you. You are correct that current ownership requires serial numbers only.

What I am referring to is the e-mails to be sent to OlympusEU to claim the backpack and grip. Within the text of my e-mail, I have stated that all are registered with Olympus UK.

Cheers

PeterD

Do you mean the warranty card(s) for the new E-3 you have just bought only or of your old camera as well?

Ian

PeterD
29th November 2007, 11:05 AM
Do you mean the warranty card(s) for the new E-3 you have just bought only or of your old camera as well?

Ian

Ian

Only the new items.

I have just checked the site again and it asks ONLY for the purchase receipt to be sent NOT copies of the warranty cards. I followed an old link which misguided me and I have misguided everyone else as a result. Sorry.:o

emirpprime
29th November 2007, 11:17 AM
I must have done the same as you. Before I had the E3, I clearly read that you needed to send the new warranty + receipt for one, and receipt only for the other. That is what i sent. Now I look again I see no mention on warranty. Strangely I remember when seeing it the first time, it only mentioned the warranty in one of two sections where it mentioned what was needed for the offer. Perhaps they hadn't decided/changed their mind as the launch date approached.

Regardless, lets hope they fulfill these offers quickly!
Phil

Paulpp
29th November 2007, 12:06 PM
Just to add to the discussion I e-mailed as an attachment, a scan of both the warranty card and the receipt and Olympus have confirmed that is all they need.

Vokesie
29th November 2007, 12:23 PM
Free HLD-4 power grip promotion
All existing owners of an Olympus E-System D-SLR camera, who also purchase the new E-3, are eligible to receive a HLD-4 power grip free of charge. Taking advantage of this special loyalty offer is as easy as 1, 2 , 3:

1. Ensure that your current E-System camera is officially registered
2. Register your new Olympus E-3 by 31 December 2007
3. Post, fax or email your purchase receipt to:

Olympus D-SLR Promotion
Postfach 1420
32773 Lage
Germany

Fax: +49 (0) 5232-68445

E-Mail: Imaging.News@olympus-europa.com

Once all conditions have been fulfilled, the HLD-4 power grip will mailed out to your given address. Click here to go to product registration page

Nowhere does it say about warranty card, I have emailed the email address and not recieved any response, not even a thank you i dont know if it has even gon through!!!!!!

Ray Shotter
29th November 2007, 12:45 PM

Ian

I collected my E-3 body yesterday. Charged the battery and fired off a few shots in low light conditions using 14-54 mm lens set at ISO 800 without flash and 100 with flash. Both very acceptable results with Image stabilisation. I suspect that the noise levels are better than similar shots with my E-510 but have not yet made a proper comparison. The extra weight compared with my E-1 is evident but, as I have been using the E-1 with the SHLD-2 battery holder most of the time, then it feels light by comparison. It will be interesting to compare the weight of the E-3 complete with HLD-4 and 2 small BLM-1 batteries with the weight of the E-1 and SHLD-2 complete with the enormous BLL-1 battery.

So far I like the layout of the controls - I found the E-510 excellent is this regard. However, the removal of the mode dial on the E-3 may mean that it will take me take some time to get used to using the button and the appropriate dial - (ie sub-dial or main dial or "front" or "back") - but I think this will prove to be an improvement nevertheless.

As an amateur enthusiast photographer I may try to write a more considered set of comments in a few months time when I have familiarised myself with the majority of the features contained in what appears to me to be a very well designed DSLR. It appears to be a significant step-up in design compared to the E-1 and the E-510 and, since I consider the E-510 to be the best designed (and best value for money) enthusiast's DSLR model on the market, I am looking forward to getting to know my E-3.

However, I shall be reluctant to dispose of my E-1 DSLR since I consider its design, although dated now, has yet to be matched by similar priced models made by Nikon and Canon. I am probably biased but when deciding to change from film to digital (three years ago) I studied very carefully all the current models in my price range (ie the "enthusiast's range") made by these two manufacturing giants and concluded they had not made sufficient changes in design or prices from film to digital - certainly not in regard to their lens construction. Maybe I should add - I owned both Nikon and Canon film cameras and lenses for many years before changing to Olympus.

beardedwombat
29th November 2007, 02:39 PM
The warranty card requirement is on the free backpack promotion. Below is a screenshot of the thankyou dialogue you get when registering your interest in an E-3.
Chris

PeterD
29th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Chris,

Hopefully Ian will get the answer tomorrow regarding the warranty card. As I said earlier I have sent a copy to Olympus earlier today as I would prefer to play safe. If its not needed then it will be ignored - so what. I apologised earlier for sending the hare running. Now I am not to sure it was a bad thing as a number of others have confirmed seeing the same requirements.

Tomorrow is your big day. I hope your camera and lens arrives early! As it turns out, I could not get out to use my camera as I had planned. I have taken a few shots to check dof and focus. I made no attempt to compose the shots as time did not allow. Tomorrow may be different - I hope.

Good luck

PeterD

beardedwombat
30th November 2007, 05:10 PM
YippeE-3! Finally got my E-3+12-60 this afternoon. Naturally the heavens opened and though I know its splashproof, I just didn't fancy taking a new expensive camera out in the rain. I've also got another toy to play with which is a mint Sigma 105 ex macro I got from Ebay, that arrived today as well.

First impressions of the E-3 are as remembered from the Park Cameras event. Fits your hand like a glove. Nice to be able to use the top LCD screen again. Very responsive. Great viewfinder. Easy to adjust once you know where the buttons are.

One thing I have noticed with the E-510 and the E-3 is that the tripod socket is set back near the back edge of the camera which means that when mounted on a QR plate, the camera doesn't cover the whole of the plate. The socket ought to be further forward - or at least on the "film" plane.

Anyway, lets hope we have a reasonable weekend so we can all go out to play!

Cheers
Chris

Barr1e
30th November 2007, 05:23 PM
YippeE-3! Finally got my E-3+12-60 this afternoon. Naturally the heavens opened and though I know its splashproof, I just didn't fancy taking a new expensive camera out in the rain. I've also got another toy to play with which is a mint Sigma 105 ex macro I got from Ebay, that arrived today as well.

First impressions of the E-3 are as remembered from the Park Cameras event. Fits your hand like a glove. Nice to be able to use the top LCD screen again. Very responsive. Great viewfinder. Easy to adjust once you know where the buttons are.

One thing I have noticed with the E-510 and the E-3 is that the tripod socket is set back near the back edge of the camera which means that when mounted on a QR plate, the camera doesn't cover the whole of the plate. The socket ought to be further forward - or at least on the "film" plane.

Cheers
Chris

Great news.

I hope it brings you a great deal of enjoyment.:)

Kindest regards. Barr1e

PeterD
30th November 2007, 07:21 PM
Great news.

Kindest regards. Barr1e

First problem with my E3.

Went out (briefly in the rain) with the camera slung around my neck. Went to take some shots and found that the eyecup had become detached. Searched everywhere for it but it is lost.

It must have been a loose fit as I checked my E500 and there is no way it could become accidentally detatched. Will have to find out where I can get a replacement. lost too much time and got soaked so I lost the opportunity for a photo shoot except for a couple taken of my dog in the sea.

Chris,

Glad you received your camera. Have Park Cameras received their consignment yet I wonder?

All the best

PeterD

emirpprime
30th November 2007, 09:01 PM
That sucks! Im sure there are stockists, or will be. Its probably just waiting for Oly to get these small parts to retailers. Hope you find one! In fact thinking about it, don't the eye cups from some other models fit too? Or is that just the ME-1?

I also tested the weather seals tonight covering the neighbouring villages christmas lights turn on in the pouring rain. Big turn out though. However the FL-36 is not weathersealed... It still works, for the moment, and got me the shots, but it has water in the LCD. Hopefully it will survive.

All the best,
Phil

Barr1e
30th November 2007, 09:35 PM
Possibly too early for the web page to include E-3 eyepiece.
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_7609.htm

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/index.php?filter_id=593&manufacturers_id=5

Regards. Barr1e

PeterD
30th November 2007, 10:21 PM

Cheers
Chris

Chris

The E500 is the same. The tripod I use has a shoe that you fit to the camera body. When secured, the shoe fits neatly across the body of the camera. The purpose of the shoe is to provide a quick release system on the tripod.

I have not had a problem at all with this arrangement.

PeterD

rich s
30th November 2007, 11:56 PM

Went out (briefly in the rain) with the camera slung around my neck. Went to take some shots and found that the eyecup had become detached. Searched everywhere for it but it is lost.

It must have been a loose fit as I checked my E500 and there is no way it could become accidentally detatched. Will have to find out where I can get a replacement. lost too much time and got soaked so I lost the opportunity for a photo shoot except for a couple taken of my dog in the sea.

Chris,

Glad you received your camera. Have Park Cameras received their consignment yet I wonder?

All the best

PeterD

Park must have received their consignment, as they rang me yesterday to tell me that an E3 was waiting for me! Too late though as DD sent mine last Friday - I understand they were allocated too many.

beardedwombat
1st December 2007, 07:24 AM
Great news.

Kindest regards. Barr1e
Thank you Barr1e, What I like about Olympus is that we all seem to get a great deal of pleasure from our cameras even though there may be one or two things that we don't like. That say's a great deal about the cameras.

PeterD
That's a real downer! I checked mine and the eyecup was clipped in to place ok but I don't think it would take too much to dislodge it accidentaly - dragging out of a bag or rubbing against a jacket zip for instance. Hope you find a replacement quickly.

Chris

The E500 is the same. The tripod I use has a shoe that you fit to the camera body. When secured, the shoe fits neatly across the body of the camera. The purpose of the shoe is to provide a quick release system on the tripod.

I have not had a problem at all with this arrangement.

PeterD
What I mean is that the shoe (QR plate) sticks out the back of the camera a little because of the position of the tripod socket on the camera (though looking at the Nikon D300, that is the same). It will, of course, depend on the size of the plate - mine is 50mm square. If you look at the OM1, for example, the socket is just behind the lens mounting which seems more logical to me and means the mounting is further toward the centre of gravity when a lens is attached.

Just looked out the window and the sky seems clear - lets hope it stays that way for a while!

Cheers,
Chris

PeterD
1st December 2007, 10:32 AM
Chris,

re. the eyecup.

Borrowed the cup from my E500 and fited it to the E3. Transfer was fine.

I noticed that the fitment to the E500 was very tight which explains why I have not lost one from this camera. Interestingly, it was also a tight fit on the E3 and I reckon it will not fall off this camera too.

Noting your observation and my misfortune, I wonder if the tolerances on the E3 build eyecups is wrong. Certainly I shall be making a warranty claim on this.

It would be something for other E3 owners to check for on their cameras. There is nothing worse than loosing the cup when you are in the middle of a photo shoot.

PeterD

Ian
1st December 2007, 11:37 AM
Oh dear, sorry to hear about the eyecup. The E-3 one is much more generously shaped and I guess it is more easily caught - but I must confess that in four years of slinging E-System bodies of all types over my shoulder or into and out of bags, I've never had an eyecup that was knocked off, so I'm with you - there must have been some kind of failure. At least the E-3 is compatible, as you have found, with E-300 and later eyepiece fit accessories.

Ian

Invicta
1st December 2007, 02:32 PM
Found a shop which had the SWD kit in stock so been out for a drive down the motorway and bought myself an E3. :)

sapper
1st December 2007, 03:15 PM
Mine arrives around seven this evening, shame we are going out. :((but only for a short while:D-)

Dave

art frames
1st December 2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the warning. (It would be something for other E3 owners to check for on their cameras.)

I did check and mine wasn't really firmly in place. :( Even now it seems a lot looser than the E500. I'll watch it so this is good advice chaps.

Also I adjusted my diopter adjustment as that wasn't set to zero... Made a huge difference, obvious.... but I hadn't checked as it isn't something I expect to change.

Peter

PeterD
1st December 2007, 05:52 PM
Oh dear, sorry to hear about the eyecup. The E-3 one is much more generously shaped and I guess it is more easily caught - but I must confess that in four years of slinging E-System bodies of all types over my shoulder or into and out of bags, I've never had an eyecup that was knocked off, so I'm with you - there must have been some kind of failure. At least the E-3 is compatible, as you have found, with E-300 and later eyepiece fit accessories.

Ian

Ian
Retraced my steps of yesterday and found the missing eyecup:D

Checked to see why it may have become detached in the first place and now I beleive I may have a faulty casting:(. The photos below compare the E500 and the E3. The eyecups look to be the same in the camera interface area but the slide into which the eyecup fits is about 30% short on the LHS as viewed on the photo.

I shall query this with Olympus on Monday.

I shall have to keep an eye (excuse the pun) on this until it is resolved.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/E500_Eyecup_Body.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=808)
E500 Eyecup & Body
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/E3_Eyecup_Body.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=807)
E3 Eyecup & Body

Regards

PeterD

ianc
1st December 2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think you have a faulty casting mine is the same and I think it is designed that way.

Ian C.

Ian
1st December 2007, 06:14 PM
I don't think you have a faulty casting mine is the same and I think it is designed that way.

Ian C.
Interesting - guess what, I'm not with my E-3 at the moment (tsk! :)) but I will check in about half an hour when I get back home.

Ian

Paulpp
1st December 2007, 06:20 PM
Just checked my eye cup and not only is it firmly in place but seems to click into place with a definate "click".

Invicta
1st December 2007, 06:57 PM
Checked to see why it may have become detached in the first place and now I beleive I may have a faulty casting:(. The photos below compare the E500 and the E3.

Glad to hear you managed to find your eye cup. :)

Same "design" for me..... My E3 has the same shorter bracket on the left. My old E300 has equal length brackets.

No idea why the E3 should be shorter on one side :confused:

DerekW
1st December 2007, 06:58 PM
Leading on from the eyecup/camera affinity, is that the VA-1 Angle finder works with the E3 as long as you remove the adapter for the E1 (should you be using the VA-1 with an E1) and replace it with the adapter for the other E range of cameras (eg E300). However I find that the adapter has a greater affinity to the camera than to the angle finder. So I have a two step process to remove the Angle finder from the camera -

1 remover angle finder from camera

2 remover adapter from camera.

This will help to ensure that the eye cup will stay firmly attached to the camera.

beardedwombat
1st December 2007, 10:41 PM
Mine is the same as well but there is no obvious reason for it to be designed that way. It means that there is nowhere for the spring clip bobble on the left side of the eyepiece to locate. Seems a bit daft. I use a Lowepro Micro Trekker bag and have twice partially dislodged the eyepiece when removing the camera from the bag.

PeterD
1st December 2007, 10:50 PM
Mine is the same as well but there is no obvious reason for it to be designed that way. It means that there is nowhere for the spring clip bobble on the left side of the eyepiece to locate. Seems a bit daft. I use a Lowepro Micro Trekker bag and have twice partially dislodged the eyepiece when removing the camera from the bag.

I agree with you Chris.Because the spring clip is not engaged properly, it allows the engaged side to rock when the eyepiece is rubbed against an object and to disengage. From then on its a matter of luck if you notice it in time. Still, forewarned is forearmed. I now check it regularly. Be interested in Oly's comments Monday.

PeterD

beardedwombat
1st December 2007, 11:04 PM
Here's another little idea, could the E-3 firmware be modified to allow functions to be allocated to the arrow pad buttons a la E-510. There are two or three useful functions I would like to have buttons for, but only one function button. It's a great camera though - I love it!
Chris

PeterD
3rd December 2007, 05:01 PM

I e-mailed Olympus Europe Technical support over the weekend and included the two photographs (E500 & E3).

Just received a reply which essentially said there is no fault. Phoned the author of the e-mail and he said that it was difficult to remove the eyecup from the camera he had but the construction was the same as in the photograph. Pointed out that because one side of the eyecup slider was not full length then a slight movement in the direction of the secured side would cause it to disengage which would result in the eyepiece potentially becoming detatched. He found that this would not happen with his camera and suggested that I return the camera to the store.
I also pointed out to him that a number of people had noticed this effect.

The bottom line is that he recommended that I discuss this with Olympus UK which unfortunately closed at 1600hrs. I shall discuss this further ith them tomorrow.

I must say that I was disapointed but maybe its a case of tolerances as far as this effect is concerned but nonetheless I still believe that the interface area is a design error.

I'll update you when I have more news.

PeterD

R MacE
3rd December 2007, 06:10 PM
I had the eycup off my E-3 and after replacing, it fell off pretty easily. Turns out that I hadn't pushed it down fully. When you push it down fully it actually 'Clicks' into place. Obviously it doesn't 'Click' as a result of the two lips which only prevent it from pulling off backwards. In fact the 'Short' side has a 'V' area at the bottom that the tab on the eycup seems to sit in. I suspect that if it doesn't 'Click' when fitted then it's not properly seated.

In any case mine is very tight, I'm almost worried I'll break it when I try to remove it.

By comparison I had the Large Eyecup on my E-1 and while the complete part didn't come off accidently the actual rubber section was always falling off the mounting ring.

PeterD
3rd December 2007, 08:17 PM
I had the eycup off my E-3 and after replacing, it fell off pretty easily. Turns out that I hadn't pushed it down fully. When you push it down fully it actually 'Clicks' into place. Obviously it doesn't 'Click' as a result of the two lips which only prevent it from pulling off backwards. In fact the 'Short' side has a 'V' area at the bottom that the tab on the eycup seems to sit in. I suspect that if it doesn't 'Click' when fitted then it's not properly seated.

In any case mine is very tight, I'm almost worried I'll break it when I try to remove it.

By comparison I had the Large Eyecup on my E-1 and while the complete part didn't come off accidently the actual rubber section was always falling off the mounting ring.

Thanks for your comments above.

I have looked again at the problem and see that my original concern of a design error or faulty casting is probably wrong. The raised slides of unequal length on the camera body are merely guides to ensure the eyecup is brought into contact with the bodyThe clips on the eyecup travel down to the bottom of the raised portion. I did not see a 'v' section. See Photo below:-
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/E3_LHS_Eye_Cup_Mount.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=859)

I had ensured that both sides gave a 'click' when the eyecup was fitted. Despite this, I do not have the secure fit that both you and the Olympus Technical Support person describe. I suspect the differences are to do with tolerances.

Don't get me wrong. I love the camera and now that I know what to look out for, I shall try and avoid a repetition. I'll still discuss this with Olympus UK to see what they think.

Once again, thanks for giving me your information. It made me look again and revise my thoughts.

Kind regards

PeterD

R MacE
3rd December 2007, 08:53 PM
I wonder if it's possible that your eyecup hasn't been fully seated when it was originally fitted and that the 'springy' tabs on the eyecup have been forced back and no longer ensure a tight fit?

Just thinking out loud really.

The 'V' is on the 'Short Side' it's very slight but it's there, you can see it more clearly if you view the 'slot'? from below.

Looking at the section on the body and the mount on the eyecup it's hard to say what exactly holds it on.

PeterD
4th December 2007, 11:20 AM
I wonder if it's possible that your eyecup hasn't been fully seated when it was originally fitted and that the 'springy' tabs on the eyecup have been forced back and no longer ensure a tight fit?

Just thinking out loud really.

The 'V' is on the 'Short Side' it's very slight but it's there, you can see it more clearly if you view the 'slot'? from below.

Looking at the section on the body and the mount on the eyecup it's hard to say what exactly holds it on.

Hi

Just an update.
Spoke to Olympus UK Customer Support this morning. Told them about the problem and they have offered to send me a replacement eyecup when one is available. I am pretty sure that this will solve the problem. I mentioned that a number of others had experienced loose eyecups and that this had been reported o this site.
I also took the opportunity to mention the lack of feedback given to those who have submitted their claim for the promotions. They will tell Olympus EU that this is a concern.
All in all, I was very pleased the way my concerns were handled. Truly customer focussed.

Kind regards

PeterD

R MacE
4th December 2007, 11:51 AM
Thats good news Peter, hopefully they'll sort it out quickly :)

beardedwombat
4th December 2007, 11:57 AM
Nice to know that Olympus are taking customer care seriously. Bodes well.
Chris

emirpprime
4th December 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Peter.
I get the impression Oly UK are very good, but sometimes getting things to filter up is harder. Glad you had a good experience with them.
Phil

DerekW
4th December 2007, 12:45 PM
Passing news up the organisation tree only works when it is good news.

Bad news is very difficult to pass up the tree.

PeterD
4th December 2007, 12:49 PM
Passing news up the organisation tree only works when it is good news.

Bad news is very difficult to pass up the tree.

Usually this is the case. You normally hit a defensive brick wall. In this case none of the defensive mechanisms kicked in. This is the reason I believe Olympus ARE Customer focussed and deserve my comments.

PeterD

sapper
4th December 2007, 10:51 PM
Got mine this morning after what seemed like a very loooooong wait.
No manual but a DVD which is a lot of use when I want a quick overview.
Took it to the camera club this evening, portraits. Once I had fathomed out how to do this and that I got some nice shots of a bloke with a banjo:-)
So far I am pleased with it, but then I did try it at three different venues before I got it.
Dave.

sapper
4th December 2007, 10:53 PM

I cannot remember how many I lost on my E 1 before someone mentioned PTFE tape, works a treat.
Dave.