PDA

View Full Version : "Yes" R.I.P.

Harold Gough
23rd May 2018, 06:28 AM
Does the BBC have a ban on people being interviewed using the word "yes" in reply to a question? I don't think I have heard a single one from Radio 4 or BBC1 in many months. Apparently, "absolutely" is the permitted response.

We were concerned that we might not hear the first cuckoo this spring but one has been around for about a week now. As for that other "rare bird", we are still waiting.

Harold

Magus
23rd May 2018, 09:26 PM
Or.................. "Let me be clear" which is usually followed by a totally ambiguous meaningless statement.

John

or "let me be absolutely clear..." which is invariably followed by an outright lie!

pdk42
23rd May 2018, 10:12 PM
I thought sentences always began with "so" or "well" on Today these days?

Otto
24th May 2018, 08:03 AM
So did I ;).

The "Radio Times" and "Feedback" frequently feature letters on this subject.

Graham_of_Rainham
24th May 2018, 11:56 AM
So many pre-cursers to: Lie & Deny... :mad:

wornish
24th May 2018, 03:30 PM
Most politicians dont even attempt to answer the question they are asked, they simply waffle on about something completely irrelevant. There are a few exceptions but you can count them on the fingers of one hand.

Both of the main party leaders are guilty as charged.

Otto
25th May 2018, 08:47 AM
Nobody in their right mind would want to be a politician these days. QED.

Naughty Nigel
26th May 2018, 09:51 PM
Most politicians dont even attempt to answer the question they are asked, they simply waffle on about something completely irrelevant. There are a few exceptions but you can count them on the fingers of one hand.

Both of the main party leaders are guilty as charged.

The incumbent party always likes to quote a load of figures/cobblers claiming that they are spending more money on [insert worthy cause] than the opposition ever did when they were in power, whilst conveniently forgetting to mention that they cut that department's budget before increasing is again.