PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Vat

sapper
18th May 2018, 11:02 AM
I need a new Manfrotto 410 head, my plate just keeps getting stuck. (it is a new plate).
So I have found a new one in Lithuania at a good price on the auction site, just wondering if I have to pay VAT on it.

Anyone know? And can tell me.
I did look at the UK Gov site re VAT from EU countries and I couldn't work it out if I had to pay VAT or the seller.

Walti
18th May 2018, 11:37 AM
My understanding is that you do not pay the seller VAT, but HMRC may charge you VAT as the product comes into the country, the normal method of avoiding this is for the seller to declare is as “gift - no value” or similar.

AMc
18th May 2018, 03:17 PM
Lithuanian are part of the EU since 2004

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries_en

As I understand it you pay their VAT equivalent or they may charge UK VAT if their orders to the UK are over 35000 E

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm#

I'm pretty sure fleabay prices are supposed to include VAT but only a message will confirm.

You won't pay any duty - again as I understand it.

gphemy
18th May 2018, 03:37 PM
As Amc says, Dave, Lithuania is part of EU, so no VAT (nor Customs duty) is due on import. BUT just check that the seller is not doing what a certain Polish seller does, as well as a well-known Austrian seller, that is claim that they are running a business-to-business operation with prices quoted net of VAT. In that case you have either to provide a UK VAT registration number, or suffer a Polish/Austrian VAT charge.

Good choice of head, by the way!

Piers

Harold Gough
19th May 2018, 05:08 AM
, the normal method of avoiding this is for the seller to declare is as “gift - no value” or similar.

In the context of imports from outside the EU, if you were to request that, that would be fraud!

Harold

MJ224
19th May 2018, 08:42 AM
I think VAT is paid in the country of origin. The seller then pays that VAT to his government.

Thus VAT is paid, and should only be paid once...

That's how it worked when I imported stuff from Germany when I was in business a few years ago.........*chr

Harold Gough
19th May 2018, 09:24 AM
I think VAT is paid in the country of origin. The seller then pays that VAT to his government.

Thus VAT is paid, and should only be paid once...

That's how it worked when I imported stuff from Germany when I was in business a few years ago.........*chr

That is correct, for those countries where VAT is in force. Otherwise, you pay it, not only on the cost of the goods but also on the postage. On top of that, RM charges you 8 handling fee, which is 15 if UPS delivers. Both pay your VAT and Customs Duty and you reimburse them.

Harold

MJ224
19th May 2018, 05:25 PM
That is correct, for those countries where VAT is in force. Otherwise, you pay it, not only on the cost of the goods but also on the postage. On top of that, RM charges you 8 handling fee, which is 15 if UPS delivers. Both pay your VAT and Customs Duty and you reimburse them.

Harold

Should have added that is the way in the EU............*chr

sapper
20th May 2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys, i will not bother. collecting a used one from Glasgow later today. (On my way to Loch Tummel)