PDA

View Full Version : OM convertor ring and lens recomendations for 50mm F2 alternative

scanny
9th March 2009, 11:20 PM
Hi all

With all the glowing results being posted recently with OM lenses (albeit from very competent users far above my skill level) i have decided to dable in the use of legacy lenses.

I had the ZD50mm and enjoyed it however i sold it to fund a summer adventure and have been toying with trying macro again since. I would be greatfull to hear of recomendations for both OM or other branded prime macro's and any adaptor rings as i am a digital kid and this is another new area. From some preliminary reding it seems a less expensive route also thankfully with a more envolved user input.

I found the link to Pete's (snarrman's) e400 test shots using OM lenses in other OM threads and the 50mm f3.5 seems like a good option and sell for a reasonable 100ish price

Thanks in advance

Steve

mike_j
10th March 2009, 10:06 AM
A good starting point is the OM 50mm f1.8. I bought a nice one for a friend last week, 10. You also nees an OM to 4/3 adapter. I bought my last one from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-CAMERA-PARTNERS bout 10. Excellent quality and came within a couple of days as they are UK based.

Ater the OM you can decide whether to invest more. The range of lenses is enormous. As a quick guide, wide angle wide aperture lenses and zooms may be disappointing. Very wide aperture lenses may underperform their more modest aperture cheaper counterparts.

Make sure whatever you buy has full manual aperture and focus as no electrical control is available.

For macro, the range is huge but snaarman and I both like out Tamron Adaptall SP 90mm f2.5 macros. With Adaptall lenses the lens has an unique mount that needs an adapter which is available for most SLR makes. You then need a second adaptor to 4/3. OM is easiest but you can just as well use Contax, Nikon (NOT Canon) etc - whatever the lens is sold with. The 4/3 adapter will cosy you another 10 if you don't have one.

Have a look at this Four Thirds user thread for lots of sample pictures

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

scanny
10th March 2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks Mike ive taken your lead and got an adapter ordered and there are a few 50 1,8's on ebay just now so i shall purchase one this week and start to have a play. After searching for lenses you get a bit dwarfed by the range available. Am i right in thinking to use IS on a legacy lens you manually input the focal distance into the IS screen in the FL box.

Thanks again

Steve

theMusicMan
10th March 2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks Mike ive taken your lead and got an adapter ordered and there are a few 50 1,8's on ebay just now so i shall purchase one this week and start to have a play. After searching for lenses you get a bit dwarfed by the range available. Am i right in thinking to use IS on a legacy lens you manually input the focal distance into the IS screen in the FL box.

Thanks again

Steve
Yes Steve, that's exactly the right way to do it.

scanny
10th March 2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks John i had a feeling it was a legacy feature.

Hopefully the adaptor will turn up soon and i bought a 50mm 3.5 so that will be here in the morning, there goes any studying this week then :)

Cheers guys

mike_j
10th March 2009, 06:15 PM
Cuople more points: generally it's best to work in aperture priority mode (A). Don't forget to enable the option 'work without lens' in the menu (the camera doesn't know that the lens is there).

Live view zoom is a great help when focussing!

Have fun

Mike