PDA

View Full Version : E510 Slit Image Focusing Screens

JackBenedict
9th March 2009, 01:53 PM
Hello All,

Is there anybody on the forum who has purchased and / or fitted a third party Split Image focusing screen to an E510.

I was thinking of buying one through Ebay and I would welcome your comments,experiences if you have one of these screens before proceeding

Thanks

MarkVarley
9th March 2009, 02:09 PM
I fitted one to my E300, due to it's smaller size and awkward position it took me an hour or so.

Having looked at my E520 I will be fitting one to I expect it to be easier.

One important point to note is that due to the excessive fiddling around on the E300's screen I got some dust trapped behind it, which is ugly (but not that hard to ignore) when using the viewfinder (obviously doesn't affect the recorded image).

Due to damaging my eyes with a flash going off when I was looking into it from only a few inches away, the split screen is, for me, the difference between being able to use manual lenses and not (thought the zoom ability of the E520 live view is another option).

Take your time, check youtube for instruction videos, be as clean as possible.

snaarman
9th March 2009, 02:12 PM
I fitted a Katzeye in my E400 which I suspect is a similar method. here's my page relating to it..

http://www.snaar.co.uk/fourthirds/

As to the results.. well I was happy for a while but I have come to the conclusion that the split image focus point is very slightly out from the sensor focus point. With several screen swaps investigating this, I eventually got dirt under the screen which I can't remove. :-(

Hope you have a better experience than I did. I am sure the split screen can help :)

Pete

JackBenedict
10th March 2009, 09:04 AM
Hi Mark & Snaarman,

Thanks for the information. The problem I am having is in the fine focusing when using the 4/3 rd lenses ( not wanting to continually use Autofocus ).

The Katseye split screen doesn't come cheap - so I will have to think about it,as it doesn't appear at the outset to be a clear cut answer to the problem.

Regards

HughofBardfield
10th March 2009, 01:58 PM
You get what you pay for IMHO. Had a KatzEye on my E500, which was excellent. Mine focused accurately out of the box, but some need shimming (presumably for manufacturing tolerances). Katz included a shim in the pack. Sold the Katz at the same time as the E500. I haven't bothered with a split image screen for the E510 as I find magnified live view works quite well and you lose the focus lights in the viewfinder with the Katz screen. As I wear glasses, I can't normally see the focus confirm light on the RHS of the viewfinder, so I need those central blobs.

Bought an eBay Chinese clone split screen for the E1 and took it out after a couple of weeks. Focusing was way off, which I might have been able to fix with shims if I had felt it worth persevering with, but metering was also seriously unpredictable - irrespective of whether I used spot, CW or matrix.

Fluffy
10th March 2009, 02:07 PM
I use a katzEye in my 510. Works superbly and I'm very comfortable with it. I had someone else install it and the focus is dead on. It is a split prism and does darken way down under some conditions.

JackBenedict
10th March 2009, 02:29 PM
You get what you pay for IMHO. Had a KatzEye on my E500, which was excellent. Mine focused accurately out of the box, but some need shimming (presumably for manufacturing tolerances). Katz included a shim in the pack. Sold the Katz at the same time as the E500. I haven't bothered with a split image screen for the E510 as I find magnified live view works quite well and you lose the focus lights in the viewfinder with the Katz screen. As I wear glasses, I can't normally see the focus confirm light on the RHS of the viewfinder, so I need those central blobs.

Bought an eBay Chinese clone split screen for the E1 and took it out after a couple of weeks. Focusing was way off, which I might have been able to fix with shims if I had felt it worth persevering with, but metering was also seriously unpredictable - irrespective of whether I used spot, CW or matrix.

Yes I did initially look at a chinese clone,but for one costing about 10 I had my doubts as to its effectiveness, which prompted my question in the first place.

I too wear glasses so I think my problem is similiar to yours.

Thanks for the reply - it is appreciated.

JackBenedict
10th March 2009, 02:35 PM
I use a katzEye in my 510. Works superbly and I'm very comfortable with it. I had someone else install it and the focus is dead on. It is a split prism and does darken way down under some conditions.

Looking on the Katseye website I see that they also sell the option to lighten the screen under the conditions you mention.

I just can't help but feel that it is all getting a bit expensive this digital game.

Archphoto
10th March 2009, 03:47 PM
Any system can be expensive, esp when you want more and more.

The cheapest camera's are the little compacts at the sales of the big box-movers. You get little you pay little.

It is like riding a bike or a car.......................

Peter