PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Recommendation?

MarkVarley
26th February 2009, 04:44 PM
It's new-tripod time so I'm looking for recommendations...

it needs to fold down to 40cm or less

it needs to go up to 1.5m height

and take the weight of a 1.8kg camera/lens combo

and costing less than 150 (plus head)

I've tried searching and researching but not coming up with much and really don't have the time just now, so if anyone has or has used a tripod with similar criteria, do let me know here *chr

crimbo
26th February 2009, 05:45 PM
Probably on the small side I have a Velbron Ultramax SF

Graham_of_Rainham
26th February 2009, 05:59 PM
I buy my ones at boot sales, charity shops, school fetes and church bazars.

Excellent value, most paid 10...

Probably not what you want to hear though. So go to a good shop, check out the make model you like then buy it on ebay for a third of the price.;)

*chr

Barrie Norman
26th February 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi Mark

I purchaced an Opticron Carbon fibre tripod a few months ago although designed for spotting scopes I use mine with a sidekick Gimbal Head and my E500, Ownuser Battery Grip and Bigma It is very stable and lightweight, I oftern carry this setup around all day and can reccomend them I have included a link to their web site, mine was purchaced fron InFocus at Titchwell Norfolk but they should be able to give you a list of suppliers or sell one mail order.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/traveller_tripod.htm

Ellie
26th February 2009, 06:58 PM
I've got the Velbon Sherpa Pro 631EL, it's brilliant. (more about it -here- (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=12483&postcount=11) )

I bought it second hand, had to wait a while for one to appear at auction but it was worth the wait. They've updated the range since then, you'll find more on the Velbon uk site.

It's worth going into a shop (LCE for example) and trying heads because they're all so very different. I've got a Gitzo offset ball head, which I chose because I liked it and also because the 'lock' can't come undone by accident if you catch it in thick gloves or clothing.

mike_j
26th February 2009, 07:15 PM

Probably not what you want to hear though. So go to a good shop, check out the make model you like then buy it on ebay for a third of the price.;)

*chr

That's where my Velbon Stratos came from. 3 complete with pan and tilt head and two camera plates.

Tripods really don't hold much second hand value.

Archphoto
26th February 2009, 07:25 PM
A good one ?:
Manfrotto 055XDB with Low Angle Att.

Goes super low and can hold a E520 with 7-14mm with ease.

Peter

Graham_of_Rainham
26th February 2009, 10:58 PM
I have a "Walkabout" bag in which I always have a "HAMA" Clamp. It's a great "get out of trouble" mount that really does a good job.

*chr

StephenL
27th February 2009, 12:06 PM
Velbon Sherpa Pro CF545 - carbon fibre, light and solid. Got a Manfrotto 322RC2 pistol grip head on mine.

Kiwi Paul
27th February 2009, 12:26 PM
I just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB with the 804 head, 125 from Morris http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk this is an excellent site to browse accessories etc, they were the cheapest by far and free delivery next day.

The tripod is supurb, sturdy and well built but may be a bit long and possibly heavy for you, ckeck it out on the web site.

Paul

peak4
27th February 2009, 09:03 PM
Mark, Like Stephen I've got a Velbon CF545 an think it's excelent value for money at 120.
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-velbon-sherpa-pro-cf545-ph157q.htm

It doesn't quite make 1.5m fully extended and folds to 44cm rather than your required 40cm
It's 4 leg sections and is fairly rigid. In order to fulfil your required spec, it looks like you will need a 5 section tripod and there aren't many of those around.

It seems you will need something like a Gitzo GT1550T 5 Section Traveller, but I'd start saving now if I were you.
http://www.waltersphotovideo.co.uk/products/gitzo-gt1550t-tripod/1126/?source=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison_shopping_feeds&utm_nooverride=1

A shade under 400 to you!:rolleyes:

MarkVarley
27th February 2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I'll check them out when I have some spare time.
I was at jessops in kensington today with some time to kill so decided to check theirs out, a suggestion for all jessops staff - when a dude comes in with two big camera bags he's serious about photography, when he spends 15 minutes checking out your tripod display maybe, just maybe, if you got off your **** and went over there, there may be a sniff of a sale? - with the (lack of) service I've had in a few camera shops recently it's no wonder I do most of my buying online!

sapper
28th February 2009, 10:20 AM

*chr
This is one of the reasons local camera shops are shutting. Please, go to a camera shop and then do a deal with them.
I wanted to buy a keyboard some time ago and my local music shop which has been around for ages told me that they don't stock them anymore 'cos folk were doing just what you are suggesting.
And then folk moan 'cos our local high streets are full of charity shops!
Rant over.

I would have thought that you wouldn't get a half decent tripod with head for that sort of money anyway.

MarkVarley
28th February 2009, 10:24 AM
This is one of the reasons local camera shops are shutting. Please, go to a camera shop and then do a deal with them.
I wanted to buy a keyboard some time ago and my local music shop which has been around for ages told me that they don't stock them anymore 'cos folk were doing just what you are suggesting.
And then folk moan 'cos our local high streets are full of charity shops!
Rant over.

I would have thought that you wouldn't get a half decent tripod with head for that sort of money anyway.

See my previous post about lack of service, if these shops 'need' my business I'd expect them to have someone appear when I take the time to check-out their stock of tripods. 15 minutes looking at tripods, 3 members of staff and only 2 other customers, no-one came over. They don't deserve my money.

Perhaps this is also a significant reason why shops are a dying breed?

sapper
28th February 2009, 10:28 AM
See my previous post about lack of service, if these shops 'need' my business I'd expect them to have someone appear when I take the time to check-out their stock of tripods. 15 minutes looking at tripods, 3 members of staff and only 2 other customers, no-one came over. They don't deserve my money.

Perhaps this is also a significant reason why shops are a dying breed?

I agree with you Mark.
But we should not just put up with it, we should have a go at them, or better still, the manager, it just might get the message across.
It seemed to work with Digital Depot???

Dick Bowman
28th February 2009, 02:43 PM
[... deleted ...] I'd expect them to have someone appear when I take the time to check-out their stock of tripods [... deleted ...]

Cuts both ways - I personally like to be left alone rather than be accosted by a salesperson.

When I want their "help" I'll ask.

Question is how useful their "help" might be. If they are anything like the halfwit who took my money (not a lot of it) in the Moorgate Jessops a couple of weeks ago I think a wiser course of action is to go somewhere else (meaning I'd have got a better retail experience and the salesperson would be that step closer to doing a job they were suited to).

MarkVarley
28th February 2009, 08:54 PM
Cuts both ways - I personally like to be left alone rather than be accosted by a salesperson.

When I want their "help" I'll ask.

Question is how useful their "help" might be. If they are anything like the halfwit who took my money (not a lot of it) in the Moorgate Jessops a couple of weeks ago I think a wiser course of action is to go somewhere else (meaning I'd have got a better retail experience and the salesperson would be that step closer to doing a job they were suited to).

Personally I like to be approached so any 'help' I might need will be forthcoming punctually, and otherwise left alone, thats how I deal with people at exhibitions and suchlike.

When I read about camera shops having a hard time I did expect a keener staff protocol.

Ellie
28th February 2009, 11:51 PM
... a suggestion for all jessops staff - when a dude comes in with two big camera bags he's serious about photography, when he spends 15 minutes checking out your tripod display maybe, just maybe, if you got off your **** and went over there, there may be a sniff of a sale? - with the (lack of) service I've had in a few camera shops recently it's no wonder I do most of my buying online!
I had the same treatment when I was looking for a tripod, when I eventually managed to get an assistant to speak to me I asked about their stock (they only had own brand on display) he said they didn't stock anything else and walked away. Didn't even bother to show me what was available and, possibly, missed out on a sale. I think it was one of the stores that was closed, which is hardly surprising really.

We are lucky though, there are two branches of LCE in Southampton, they don't both stock the same, are aware of what each branch has, and both have excellent sales staff.

MarkVarley
28th February 2009, 11:59 PM
I had the same treatment when I was looking for a tripod, when I eventually managed to get an assistant to speak to me I asked about their stock (they only had own brand on display) he said they didn't stock anything else and walked away. Didn't even bother to show me what was available and, possibly, missed out on a sale. I think it was one of the stores that was closed, which is hardly surprising really.

We are lucky though, there are two branches of LCE in Southampton, they don't both stock the same, are aware of what each branch has, and both have excellent sales staff.

I have been impressed with LCE on the strand the two times I've been in there, the first I needed a cable that they didn't have in stock but they went out of their way to help me solve my problem even though it was clear it wasn't leading to a sale. The last time was when I was looking for an E520, I took the best online price and went to a few shops to see if they could match it, LCE was the only one that tried and in a friendly manner too.

I'll be using them in the future for sure.

Hurrah for LCE *chr

Dicky
25th March 2009, 11:10 PM
id have a look at the manfrotto 190 range mines 20 year old at least and its a nice compact tripod pick a head that suits you type on photograpy..the new 190's are a lot lighter than my old one so should be a good buy .. even my old one is light enough to carry about .

yorky
26th March 2009, 09:50 AM
I make no recomendations about these but they seem on the face of it to be very good,

http://www1.clikpic.com/Redsnapper/gallery_103792.html

I use a benbo trekker but theyare not for everyone, marvellous for botanists though.

Nick Temple-Fry
26th March 2009, 10:42 AM
I use a benbo trekker but theyare not for everyone, marvellous for botanists though.

The Trekker is good for church photography too - it can always find a stable position lodged between/on pews etc. But it doesn't meet Marks requirements wrt weight/size, and you do need to work with it for a while in order to learn to love its amazing joint.

Nick