PDA

View Full Version : What does warranty cover?

thecedars
2nd December 2017, 06:54 PM
Hi

I hope this isn't a silly question but I've just noticed that a little fleck of paint has come off the prism hump on the angled edge. The camera (EM1 Mk2) has not been dropped or ill treated in any way and was only bought new in February - would this be covered under warranty as I feel it devalues the camera and may spread?

Thanks

Mark

Clockwork Donkey
2nd December 2017, 08:43 PM
I have nothing but praise for the Olympus warranty cover. I dropped my camera and lens on to rocks, resulting in damage to the lens zoom mechanism. Sent to Nottingham on the Monday, received back from Olympus, Portugal on the Friday and all FOC.

Give them a try.

thecedars
2nd December 2017, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. I will speak to them after Christmas. I didn't want to appear petty but at the same time it didn't seem right.

Ricoh
3rd December 2017, 01:19 PM
Hi

I hope this isn't a silly question but I've just noticed that a little fleck of paint has come off the prism hump on the angled edge. The camera (EM1 Mk2) has not been dropped or ill treated in any way and was only bought new in February - would this be covered under warranty as I feel it devalues the camera and may spread?

Thanks

Mark
I know how annoying it can be, but even if you wrapped the camera in cotton wool, without taking a single shot, the value will decrease in a surprisingly short period of time. Look at the second prices for the previous models. I have an EM5 mk1 in remarkable condition, it looks nearly as good as the day it was purchased. Value? 200 possibly. I think I've lost a grand over four years. I only know of one solution, but it involves chemicals and I know it's not everybody's cup of tea.

ritastine
4th December 2017, 03:52 AM
You should bring it to the store where you have bought them, since when did you notice the problem?

thecedars
4th December 2017, 01:56 PM
I only noticed the other day and I'm certain it has not been there before. It is annoying (but I know not the end of the world and there are far worse problems!) as it is right on the sharply angled top/side edge of the faux prism and catches the light so you see it. I don't think it is a shop thing as I have had it 6 months and in reality would only send it to Olympus if it spreads - which is my main worry. It genuinely has been handled carefully as I am very careful with expensive things which is why I'm a bit disappointed.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Mark

Growltiger
4th December 2017, 03:09 PM
Forget about it and take more photos. My camera has the black rubbed off on the bottom edge, showing that it has travelled and has been used. There have been cameras that have increased in value because they have lost so much paint. Since it has no effect at all on the camera as a tool, let it age gracefully as it slowly develops a more battered appearance.