PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent recording on 2 cards

Petrus
2nd December 2017, 04:33 PM
Hi,
I am new to Olympus and the logics behind recording onto the two cards in the camera. As expected I have two cards, settings are set to record on second card when first card is full. However, recording started on card two even if first card was far from full, then recording by itself went back to card #1. Why? The file numbering was consistent, continuing from card1 to card2 and back again.

Shouldn't the camera record on card1 until full and then continue on card2? Can it have something to do with switching power on and off between the shootings?

MJ224
2nd December 2017, 07:16 PM
I must admit I seemed to have a similar sort of problem last week, when switching between video and still shots.

I could not find what I had recorded on the camera, but all was well when the cards were dumped to computer. Slight mystery at the time, camera seemed to be confused, as I was...........*chr

Walti
2nd December 2017, 10:44 PM
I've noticed something similar when going back to view images on the second card, the camera seems to then carry on recording to the second until its switched off then reverts to the first... though I've not managed to consistently replicate this... so it seems to be a small bug in the operating system somewhere...

Petrus
3rd December 2017, 05:18 AM
This inconsistency can be a real problem, you never know when to replace a card! The other problem is when you take a long series of pictures and the buffer fills up - you find you are on card 2 instead of the much faster card 1. Such a bug should not happen under any circumstances!

Ross the fiddler
3rd December 2017, 08:25 AM
It might be occurring if the camera is turned on while one of the cards is out of the camera, then it defaults to the one that's left. That's how I perceive its behaviour.

Growltiger
3rd December 2017, 09:57 AM
I think the settings also depend on how they are set for C1, C2 and C3, if you are using those. You need to store the card settings for each, making it easy to change the way the cards work depending on how you turn the dial.

Petrus
3rd December 2017, 11:44 AM
It might be occurring if the camera is turned on while one of the cards is out of the camera, then it defaults to the one that's left. That's how I perceive its behaviour.

Of course that would be normal, but did not happen that way in this case.

Petrus
3rd December 2017, 11:49 AM
I think the settings also depend on how they are set for C1, C2 and C3, if you are using those. You need to store the card settings for each, making it easy to change the way the cards work depending on how you turn the dial.

Has no bearing in this case, as the operating mode (C1, A, M etc) was not changed during the shooting. Anyway, the inconsistent card switching has happend many times. I am led to believe, that card switching may occur, not always but sometimes, when switching the camera off and then on again, and/or viewing picture just taken. I cannot think of any other reason. In any case the card switching should not happen until card is full.