PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-620 pre-production review

Four Thirds User
24th February 2009, 07:12 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

In a surprise move, just prior to the big annual PMA trade show in Las Vegas next week, Olympus has unveiled an all new 12 megapixel E-System DSLR model, the E-620, that fits in between the E-520 and the new E-30, although it has more than a passing resemblance, in both appearance and, to an extent, size, to the baby of the range, the E-420. We have been evaluating the E-620 for the last couple of weeks and have a 29 image product gallery - see the thumbnails below

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2009/02/olympus_e620_preproduction_review.php)

OlyPaul
24th February 2009, 07:14 AM
Yep this seems to be the one I have been waiting for and having seen the full spec on a USA site this seems to be the camera I want at a price I can afford. :D

Ian
24th February 2009, 07:51 AM
Sorry about the gremlins on our FTU news story - you can't see the 30 product pix and various other goodies :(

We're working on fixing it...

But here's a taster for you:

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/171/E620_01.jpg

..actually, it's now fixed :)

Ian

dbutch
24th February 2009, 10:06 AM
Looking good

Nice to see external WB sensor and the improved focus and slightly larger viewfinder

Should be a winner

Dave

Ian
24th February 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks goodness the E-620 has a power grip option:

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/e-620grip.jpg

Ian

Ray Shotter
24th February 2009, 06:47 PM
Ian,

Thanks for the information about the E-620 - it appears to be an exciting development. I notice from the specification that the viewfinder still displays only 95%. Is the viewfinder any bigger than that on the E-510 ? I found that viewfinder too small when wearing spectacles and bought the ME-1 which was a little better. I appreciate that it is unlikely to match the E-3 viewfinder but hope it may be a little better than the standard one fitted to the E-510 - or - am I hoping for too much ? The articulating screen and the image stabilisation features coupled to the camera's overall small size and weight makes me wonder whether E-620 will upstage the micro four thirds camera from Olympus when it arrives !!

Ray.

padgreen
24th February 2009, 07:09 PM
Hi

I had a brief look at the new E620 at Focus on Imaging today in Birmingham. The new viewfinder is a huge improvement compared to the E420/E520. Not as big as the E30, but still very good.

Actually, I thought the E620 was absoutely fab. I've always liked the size of the E420 (I have an OM1n), but didn't like the small viewfinder, the fixed LCD, or the lack of image stablisation and function buttons. Now it's got all four plus more focus points, 12 MP etc...

Really, I think Olympus has got it very right with this camera.

shenstone
24th February 2009, 09:54 PM
Flabergasted :eek:

Confused :confused:

Excited :D

I'd just managed to convince myself last weekend that I really had to have an E-30 and now this comes along :confused::D:confused::D

One one level I love it

On another I'm so confused I don't know what to think

Sorry Oly my cash will have to stay in my pocket a while longer

Regards
Andy

crimbo
24th February 2009, 10:04 PM
but will it be sold as body only or do we end up buying a lens we already have?

Archphoto
24th February 2009, 10:58 PM
I have understood body-only too.

R MacE
24th February 2009, 11:40 PM
Looks like the camera I was waiting for a while back, then the G1 came along. Not sure which would suit me best.

Great to see Olympus going from strength to strength. 11 cameras now from a system that the experts said had no future :rolleyes:

dennisg
25th February 2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/GetOlympus

This is a video from Youtube on the E620.

Dennis G*chr

DekHog
25th February 2009, 09:03 AM
Looks very nice - assuming the price of this is considerably less, you really have to ask why anyone would buy an E-30 now?

Makonde
25th February 2009, 09:06 AM
I think Oly are spot on with this development at this price point (I saw a figure of $700 body only for launch in USA)

shenstone
25th February 2009, 11:28 AM
Looks very nice - assuming the price of this is considerably less, you really have to ask why anyone would buy an E-30 now?

That's where I am - the new camera looks great, and I really need to see some more comparitive information before jumping

I was going to be placing my order and I think you are right and this new announcement will unfortunaltey hit sales of the E-30

Regards
Andy

gno
25th February 2009, 11:42 AM
That's where I am - the new camera looks great, and I really need to see some more comparitive information before jumping

I was going to be placing my order and I think you are right and this new announcement will unfortunaltey hit sales of the E-30

I agree with you Andy about the E-30 and I also think it will limit sales of the E-520 too as it would appear that there will be about 140 /150 difference between them.

You seem to get quite a bit extra for that 140 /150 with the E-620 and not a lot short of an E-3 bar weatherproofing and a metal body.

Regards

Gavin

Ian
25th February 2009, 08:46 PM
Ian,

Thanks for the information about the E-620 - it appears to be an exciting development. I notice from the specification that the viewfinder still displays only 95%. Is the viewfinder any bigger than that on the E-510 ? I found that viewfinder too small when wearing spectacles and bought the ME-1 which was a little better. I appreciate that it is unlikely to match the E-3 viewfinder but hope it may be a little better than the standard one fitted to the E-510 - or - am I hoping for too much ? The articulating screen and the image stabilisation features coupled to the camera's overall small size and weight makes me wonder whether E-620 will upstage the micro four thirds camera from Olympus when it arrives !!

Ray.

The 95% figure represents the frame coverage, not the viewed size. Most cameras have a sub-100% frame coverage as it's difficult (and so, expensive) to make a viewfinder match the frame area precisely 100%. In the Olympus E-System, only the flagship E-1 and the E-3 have 100% viewfinders.

The E-620 viewfinder magnification is slightly higher than that of the E-4xx or E-5xx, but slightly smaller than the E-30.

Ian

HughofBardfield
26th February 2009, 01:57 PM
I too was considering an E30 (if Ambulance Chasers - oops! Injury Lawyers For You ever succeed in getting me some money for an accident last year - doubt it will stretch to an E3 or the must-be-coming-soon E4 :) ). On the face of it, this doesn't appeal much as I find the E4xx just a bit on the small side, especially with the lack of a proper grip. Having said that, this looks a bit meatier.

However, it looks a bit weird with the portrait grip attached - and I've grown very attached to one on the E1: wouldn't want to be without one on an upgraded camera.

However, hats off to Oly for addressing some the gripes with the E5xx.

I now go off to eat humble pie for doubting their commitment to "proper" DSLRs in the wake of the m4/3rds launch :o

Ellie
26th February 2009, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, this looks very interesting. A few questions please.

Ian, how well would you say it handles with a long lens?

Where within the viewfinder is the display - shutter speed etc?

What are the significant differences between it and the E-30?

Lord Minty
26th February 2009, 09:38 PM
Where within the viewfinder is the display - shutter speed etc?

From what I've read elsewhere it's all below the viewfinder - I think the OM4 was like that.

alert_bri
27th February 2009, 03:27 PM
It will be interesting to see how the ME-1 eyepiece magnifier works with the E-620.

Kind Regards

Brian

benvendetta
27th February 2009, 09:41 PM
From what I've read elsewhere it's all below the viewfinder - I think the OM4 was like that.

Yes it is along the bottom edge - and very nice and clear it is just like my E-3. Far better, and brighter than the E-4xx and E-5xx series bodies. Result for Oly!

talepictures.com
3rd March 2009, 05:59 AM
Look at the PMA sneak peek and you'll notice all the shots are using the E-620 and 12-60mm at ISO 2500.
:cool:

gno
3rd March 2009, 11:19 AM
Look at the PMA sneak peek and you'll notice all the shots are using the E-620 and 12-60mm at ISO 2500.

Do you have a link?

talepictures.com
3rd March 2009, 03:08 PM
Of course, sorry wasn't thinking:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pma2009/Sneak_Peek/

snaarman
3rd March 2009, 03:21 PM
Yes I spotted that info in the exif data when I looked this morning. Am I going mad, or has the exif data vanished this afternoon??

I don't think pictures (at ISO2500) represent the E620's strongest points :-) However I will admit to being very interested by what I have seen and read about the camera.

Pete

shenstone
3rd March 2009, 08:01 PM
The Exif is not there in the thumbnails, but if you click through to the full sze pictures then it's there

They seem to range from about 1600 to 2500

Like you say maybe not a strongest point, but very useable especially when you run a noise removal process across them whereas with the banding issues on some of teh other E-Series cameras I would not have throught so

A real move forward and a real sucess I hope

Regards
Andy

gno
4th March 2009, 01:15 PM
Hi all,

Lets Go Digital have posted some sample images (http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/21671/lasvegas-photos/)taken with the New E-620.

Regards

Gavin