PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 Mark II endorsement from ex-Nikon user

Ian
28th October 2017, 11:16 AM
There is an element of 'sponsored post' about this but it's otherwise and interesting read:

https://en.patrikstanek.cz/olmypus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-why-did-i-replace-my-equipment.html

Ian

GyRob
28th October 2017, 11:42 AM
Nice read and hopefully in a mkIII Noise will be a little better, for BIF you often have to increase ISO that bit more to get a faster shutter speed IS does not help much in this respect .
and they need to put more feel in the shutter button too Now that would be nice :)
Rob.

Ian
28th October 2017, 12:03 PM
There are some impressive shots further down the page in the article too.

Ian

pdk42
28th October 2017, 01:38 PM
Shortly after reading the linked blog post, I read the article by DPReview looking at the new Pro primes. After the article there were pages of comments by the armchair experts of the DPR forums. There were endless posts by FF and Fuji snobs who seemed only to want to pour scorn over these lenses ("only f2.4 equiv", "way too expensive", "m43 no smaller than FF" etc etc). That such a small sensor deserves quality glass or that it could compete with their "big sensor" cameras seems like an affront to their masculinity (or femininity as necessary!).

Almost certainly very few will have ever used a m43 camera and they base their analysis entirely on the view that sensor size and pixel peeking are all that matters. As the link Ian posted shows though, in the hands of a competent photographer the image quality is still there to be had; and of course the overall size, weight and capabilities of the bodies are generally superior to many other systems.

TimP
1st November 2017, 03:06 PM
and they need to put more feel in the shutter button too Now that would be nice :)
Rob.
Youíre right about that, how have they managed to make it so sensitive? My Canon just works yet the 1-II goes off like a teenager!
Still I guess itís better to have too many shots than not enough.

Graham_of_Rainham
1st November 2017, 04:31 PM
... there were pages of comments by the armchair experts of the DPR forums. There were endless posts by FF and Fuji snobs who seemed only to want to pour scorn over these lenses ....

Whenever I come up against any such comments or opinions that are "Brandist" I always refer to the fact that the end product, has been through so many stages of processing that nothing of those "precious pixels" remains, beyond that which is being viewed. At least with slide film we were seeing the real image quality that the camera was producing.