PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

ndl0071
21st February 2009, 03:54 PM
Having scraped up enough pennies I took myself off to Park Cameras this afternoon with the intention of buying the 25mm Pancake Lens, having tried it and decided to buy, the assistant (a typical saturday cover person with little/no real knowledge) then informed me that he couldn't find a new one, there was then a whispered debate between him and a more senior full timer anyway to cut a long story short he appeard with a 'new' lens with a warranty card (no box) with the explanation that they had split a kit and thats how it came, I stated that I would prefer a new boxed one and if they didn't have one I would leave it for now, they assured me that splitting kits was common practise and they did it across all the camera brands, I have no reason to doubt that it wasn't a new lens but to me that wasn't the point, if for any reason I wanted to sell it on a box would make an easier sale, anyway I decided to leave it for now to think it over.
Should I have bought it without the box? I haven't come across this before, perhaps because I normally mail order, am I being too sensitive?
What would you have done?

mike_j
21st February 2009, 04:04 PM
Some companies do split kits but the fact that the orphan item is unboxed etc should be reflected in the price as the original bundled price will have been less than the sum of the individual items.

ndl0071
21st February 2009, 04:40 PM
Some companies do split kits but the fact that the orphan item is unboxed etc should be reflected in the price as the original bundled price will have been less than the sum of the individual items.

Thanks for your thoughts, I too drew that conclusion, and I did ask, sadly though they were not interested in any discounting.

Zuiko
21st February 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, I too drew that conclusion, and I did ask, sadly though they were not interested in any discounting.

I would have expected at least 20 off for no box. :(

StephenL
22nd February 2009, 07:51 AM
I consider the box to be very important re resale value, but of no use whatsever if you intend to keep the lens forever!

Dick Bowman
22nd February 2009, 09:02 AM
I've seen "splitting" where both items in the kit come in their own boxes - which seems fair enough. Don't buy equipment often enough to know whether "no box" is common.

Is there actually a kit that combines body with pancake lens? Not actively pursuing any purchases at the moment, so I'm not up to date on what's currently on sale.

But I don't like the sound of it - I'd have walked away (even if they dangled a discount under my nose).

MarkVarley
22nd February 2009, 10:21 AM
Is there actually a kit that combines body with pancake lens? Not actively pursuing any purchases at the moment, so I'm not up to date on what's currently on sale.

yes, E420 comes with the pancake (and when it does I can slip the bugger into my coat pocket!)

kuvvy
22nd February 2009, 05:49 PM
Splitting the kits has ben going on for a while. When the pancake was launched it was mainly available as a kit and a number of dealers were willing to split in order to fulfil the demand.