PDA

View Full Version : Rubber grip falling off!

Walti
18th September 2017, 09:44 AM
Just returned from holiday and find that the grip has started to peel off near the remote control socket...

I suppose the best way to fix it is to get it done under warranty?

How long do things like this take?

MJ224
18th September 2017, 10:04 AM
Fortnight or so.

Only going on having a lens serviced, and not under warranty.

I found Olympus repair people to be communicative and honest!

Olybirder
18th September 2017, 10:05 AM
It shouldn't take too long under warranty. I am not sure but I think DavyG might have had a similar problem so he should be able to give you a better idea. It is rather disappointing that Olympus haven't resolved this long-term issue with the new model. I hope there won't be other problems such as the failing rear dial and strap lugs of the Mark 1.

Ron

DavyG
18th September 2017, 11:56 AM
Just returned from holiday and find that the grip has started to peel off near the remote control socket...

I suppose the best way to fix it is to get it done under warranty?

How long do things like this take?

Hi Walti,

As Ron mentioned, I had the same problem however, Olympus dealt with it efficiently under warranty.

Sadly, unless you've taken out a Pro Service Advanced or Eite package, you'll have to arrange the delivery of the camera to Olympus, this isn't a problem but it's disappointing when compared to the service provided for the E-M1.

I think the total turnaround time for my repair was circa fourteen days.

On a positive note, the repaired rubber grip is still solidly in place.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Walti
18th September 2017, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure I want to be without it for 14 days!

Mrs Walti's MKi will have to be commandeered...

MJ224
18th September 2017, 05:58 PM
Good opportunity to carry out a realistic comparison...........*chr

drmarkf
18th September 2017, 10:06 PM
Yes, one of our local camera club members has had to send theirs back to have a peeling grip fixed.

Others with a long Olympus history might remember this used to happen with the OM1...

David M
18th September 2017, 10:29 PM
Yes, one of our local camera club members has had to send theirs back to have a peeling grip fixed.

Others with a long Olympus history might remember this used to happen with the OM1...

I remember that although I never bothered getting it stuck back down as it was only cosmetic.

I re-covered some of my OM bodies with a silicone high friction material for added grip at -40

drmarkf
19th September 2017, 09:18 AM
I re-covered some of my OM bodies with a silicone high friction material for added grip at -40

Crikey O'Reilly.
That's not generally a problem we have to face too often in the UK...

David M
19th September 2017, 09:51 AM
Crikey O'Reilly.
That's not generally a problem we have to face too often in the UK...

Not an uncommon temperature in Saskatchewan in the winter, especially if you like shooting around dusk and dawn. And the best gloves for the temperature aren't always the best for handling equipment.

Ross the fiddler
20th September 2017, 12:01 AM
I've always found Evo-Stik to work wonders on peeling plastic/rubber grips. Even in the OM1n days :)

John

I had to look that one up & the first link came up as The Evo-Stik League. :rolleyes:

David M
20th September 2017, 12:35 AM
I seem to remember a reference to camera repair techs using Pliobond but I don't know how available it is outside North America.

Graham_of_Rainham
20th September 2017, 07:33 AM
Repaired my sons X-Box controller grip with Locktite Superglue.

Evo Stick was too thick, superglue works well on very smooth surfaces and "zero" gap.

Olybirder
20th September 2017, 08:33 AM
I repaired the grip on my Mark 1, using genuine Olympus parts from Luton Cameras. It was easy and the total cost including postage was 10. I don't know if the parts are available for the Mark 2 yet.

I seem to recall that the grip covered at least one screw which was instrumental in holding the body together, so I assume the adhesive tape has to be easy to remove without leaving a messy residue in case repairs are required. Perhaps it is a bit too easy to remove.

Ron

Ross the fiddler
20th September 2017, 08:42 AM
Repaired my sons X-Box controller grip with Locktite Superglue.

Evo Stick was too thick, superglue works well on very smooth surfaces and "zero" gap.

Loctite also make Power Flex which is a gel superglue, but with a some flexibility.

Walti
29th September 2017, 08:26 AM
Just spoken to a nice person in the Czech Republic, who tells me they're awaiting spare parts...

The grip being loose had exposed some inner workings via a joint in the chassis, so maybe some water has got inside :( or there's just so many grips falling off they've run out!

She's getting a full report from the maintenance people in Portugal to find out...

griffljg
29th September 2017, 08:33 AM
Loctite also make Power Flex which is a gel superglue, but with a some flexibility.

I have used Loctite Power Flex on the rubber grips of all my Olympus cameras except for the E-M1 II, which hasn't come loose yet.

It works well. - Very much better than the stuff Olympus used when I sent my E-M1 back for a warranty repair of one of the strap lugs and mentioned that the rubber grip was also in need of a bit of re-glueing.

DavyG
29th September 2017, 09:47 AM
Just spoken to a nice person in the Czech Republic, who tells me they're awaiting spare parts...

The grip being loose had exposed some inner workings via a joint in the chassis, so maybe some water has got inside :( or there's just so many grips falling off they've run out!

She's getting a full report from the maintenance people in Portugal to find out...

Sorry to hear this Walti.

Have you returned yours to Olympus for repair? If so, please let us know how long it takes from sending the camera out until its returned.

Dave

Walti
29th September 2017, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear this Walti.

Have you returned yours to Olympus for repair? If so, please let us know how long it takes from sending the camera out until its returned.

Dave

Yes I've sent it to Olympus for a warranty repair... (expecting a 14 day turnaround)

Left here by RM Special Delivery Wednesday last week to their place in Nottingham, (11.50 insured) arrived Portugal for first thing Monday, was originally told it'd be a 5 day turnaround in Portugal, so I was expecting it to be shipped today/Monday... watch this space!

Disappointed that I got NO notification at all that they'd received it, nor any answers to the couple of emails I'd sent, so I'd recommend phoning if you need to get in touch! I was beginning to worry that it'd not arrived. (especially as I'd lost the tracking number!)

Ross the fiddler
29th September 2017, 12:45 PM
I have used Loctite Power Flex on the rubber grips of all my Olympus cameras except for the E-M1 II, which hasn't come loose yet.

It works well. - Very much better than the stuff Olympus used when I sent my E-M1 back for a warranty repair of one of the strap lugs and mentioned that the rubber grip was also in need of a bit of re-glueing.

Thanks. I'll test it out on my HLD-6 (E-M5 grip) then as it is just slightly lifting. I will probably apply a little at a time on the end of a tooth pick or scalpel blade though.

*chr

Walti
7th October 2017, 10:28 AM
Yes I've sent it to Olympus for a warranty repair... (expecting a 14 day turnaround)

Left here by RM Special Delivery Wednesday last week to their place in Nottingham, (11.50 insured) arrived Portugal for first thing Monday, was originally told it'd be a 5 day turnaround in Portugal, so I was expecting it to be shipped today/Monday... watch this space!

Disappointed that I got NO notification at all that they'd received it, nor any answers to the couple of emails I'd sent, so I'd recommend phoning if you need to get in touch! I was beginning to worry that it'd not arrived. (especially as I'd lost the tracking number!)

Oh well.... Two weeks and counting, last response was it was due to be completed this week, but nothing since, have chased them a couple of times with no response! A bit disappointing :(

Really missing it and have found that there's enough difference between the MK1 and MKii that I'm not enjoying using the MKi :( :(

Walti
7th October 2017, 11:43 AM
You should have glued it back on yourself !! Now you've got "withdrawal symptoms" and going "cold turkey" without it ! :D:D:D

John

The reason I didn't was that I'd been using out in the rain without realising the grip was loose, when I found it there was a big joint in the camera frame exposed which may (or may not) have let water into the innermost workings of the camera, so as it was under warranty - off it went.

But you're right, quite sad without it :(

griffljg
7th October 2017, 06:10 PM

I sent my EM-1 II to Sydney for a warranty repair when the off/on switch got a bit sticky and got it back a month later. Fortunately I still had the EM-1 (Mk I) for company while I waited.

MJ224
8th October 2017, 08:04 AM
A month is a long time for a repair.....

Hope you let them know your views about that..:cool:

Ross the fiddler
8th October 2017, 11:52 AM
I sent my EM-1 II to Sydney for a warranty repair when the off/on switch got a bit sticky and got it back a month later. Fortunately I still had the EM-1 (Mk I) for company while I waited.

Normally it's a week turnaround, but if they don't have the item in stock it may take longer. I took the E-M5 (an hours drive) down near the end of the warranty period for the cracked bezel repair (had just bought the E-M1) & they posted it back a week later. Hopefully I don't need to use them for any repairs (except the 12-60 SWD lens I intend to take shortly), because I'd rather nothing broke. :rolleyes: *shrug

Ross the fiddler
8th October 2017, 11:54 AM
The reason I didn't was that I'd been using out in the rain without realising the grip was loose, when I found it there was a big joint in the camera frame exposed which may (or may not) have let water into the innermost workings of the camera, so as it was under warranty - off it went.

But you're right, quite sad without it :(

I feel your pain (I think). Hopefully it will come back as good (or better) as new. Could the delay be because there was some ingress of water?

Walti
11th October 2017, 09:00 AM
Got a mail yesterday saying the parts had arrived and the repair would be started today.

I will be advised of the tracking number when it is despatched.

Doorbell just rang and there's Mr DHL with a parcel!

All new grips fitted and they are different to the old ones as there's no longer a slight lip all around them! I guess the old ones were either different or incorrectly fitted!

Will take it out later and get familiar with it again - as I've been using the MKi for a few days!

EDIT: re-loading all the settings was nice and painless - apart from the C1, C2, C3 where I had to manually set and re-save the shutter and aperture settings I wanted and the time and date needed re-setting. (I wonder why they don't take them off the computer as part of the upload - like they do if you use the iPhone app?)