PDA

View Full Version : Missing icons on EM1 mk2

Phill D
25th August 2017, 07:02 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the EM1 mk2 where on starting the camera up you get an image but there are no icons on the screen or evf and nothing works? I had this a few times today. Switching off and on again seemed to work and sometimes it just seemed to fix itself after a few seconds and a blank screen. It's almost as if the processor boots itself up wrong occasionally...? Very odd, any clues?

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2017, 01:13 AM
When it starts up there is a delay before the icons show, with the Live View showing first. I would make sure the SD cards are happy by formatting them (in camera), in case they are causing it.

Phill D
26th August 2017, 08:19 AM
That's a great call Ross thanks. I've just formatted both cards and it's much better. There is still a slight delay before the icons appear maybe up to a second but it's a lot better and they seem to always appear now. Maybe I'd just never noticed the slight delay before? I'm using a Lexar 1800x 32Gb card so I'd have thought it would read and write fast enough. I usually format the card when I put it back after taking images off it but oddly as I'd not taken many shots recently I hadn't bothered. Why would not formatting the card cause this sort of delay?

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2017, 10:24 AM
That's a great call Ross thanks. I've just formatted both cards and it's much better. There is still a slight delay before the icons appear maybe up to a second but it's a lot better and they seem to always appear now. Maybe I'd just never noticed the slight delay before? I'm using a Lexar 1800x 32Gb card so I'd have thought it would read and write fast enough. I usually format the card when I put it back after taking images off it but oddly as I'd not taken many shots recently I hadn't bothered. Why would not formatting the card cause this sort of delay?

That delay is normal as far as I know, because that is what I get. It obviously checks the SD card(s) at start up & if it has become fragmented (or corrupted etc) it might be the same as a PC that slows down when fragmented (& why it is good to run defrag occasionally). I don't know, but if issues occur it is something that is worth checking.

*chr

TonyR
26th August 2017, 02:08 PM

I think you'll find it will be faster still if you only use one card in the fastest slot. I found using two cards added a lot of delay and I didn't have any need for two cards in the camera at the same time.

Ross the fiddler
26th August 2017, 02:46 PM
I think you'll find it will be faster still if you only use one card in the fastest slot. I found using two cards added a lot of delay and I didn't have any need for two cards in the camera at the same time.

Even if only saving to card #1 you're probably right since the camera has to do a check on them at start up.

Phill D
26th August 2017, 07:09 PM
I concur mine is faster to start up too if I only have one card in. Actually it's stopped showing the live view without icons at all now. It just goes straight into the normal view with icons after a very slight delay.

Joop
3rd September 2017, 11:55 PM
Always format card in the camera, fat isn't so universal as it looks, special then when it can't use big floppy format ie 8Gb cards and up.

Phill D
4th September 2017, 12:20 PM
I do usually format each time I return the card to the camera. Had acouple of odd instances but generally it seems to be behaving itself on the whole now.