PDA

View Full Version : Focus Bracketing

MJ224
22nd August 2017, 10:21 AM
I can only make it work inconsistently................

Menu 2
Bracketing ON
Focus BKT right click ON
Menu then shows

Focus Stacking Off
Set no of shots 99
Set focus differential 5

If I switch on Focus stacking I loose Set no of shots
If I leave Focus stacking off I can change no of shots to 10

Just got it to work again, seems that you have to keep clicking ok ok ok etc.

:confused::confused::confused:

Bikie John
22nd August 2017, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure, so take with large pinches of salt, but....

If you use in-camera focus stacking, it will limit itself to do 10 shots (or possibly fewer if that's what you have set under bracketing). If you want more shots you have to do it the hard way - let the camera bracket, then do the stacking in post-processing.

John

skids
22nd August 2017, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure, so take with large pinches of salt, but....

If you use in-camera focus stacking, it will limit itself to do 10 shots (or possibly fewer if that's what you have set under bracketing). If you want more shots you have to do it the hard way - let the camera bracket, then do the stacking in post-processing.

John

That fits in with my understanding and post processing stacking can be quite painless. I use Zerene Stacker which I've always found very intuitive.

MJ224
23rd August 2017, 07:19 AM
Yes thanks for the stacking programme name.

I have looked at their web page and don't doubt the programme works well.

But its something I don't use often, and don't really want to spend $89 on, when the mk2 should be able to do maybe a limited focus stacking picture...

So still want to sort out how to reliably focus stack on the camera...

But again thanks for the Zerene name, I am sure others will find it useful...*chr

DerekW
23rd August 2017, 08:47 AM
Given that Photoshop can handle focus stacking, no doubt the the PS knock offs will also handle focus stacking or will do in the future.

Actually I am surprised the the Olympus Viewer software does not handle focus stacking

steverh
23rd August 2017, 12:05 PM
You can buy Affinity Photo for much less than $89. Hardly fair to describe it as "a PS knock off". It's a very serious piece of work.

It handles stacking (of all sorts) very well.

DerekW
23rd August 2017, 02:56 PM
a knock off is a cheaper product that has the same features of the original product

The creativity of the original feature is what you pay for in the original, in the knock off the developer did not have to think up the idea.

jdal
24th August 2017, 06:57 AM
Re the OP, this is a good video Works very consistently for me now. I have it assigned to a button so I can switch on and off easily. Notice that you must get back from the lowest level menu via "menu/menu/menu/".

I bit the bullet and bought Helicon so I could stack ORF files and get DNG output. I keep the DNG and discard all the ORFs.

MJ224
24th August 2017, 07:50 AM
Many thanks for that link....

Glad I am not the only one to find it tricky to crack.............*chr

wornish
24th August 2017, 08:16 AM
Be aware of how thin the Depth of Field is when you are close to your subject.

Olympus provide Depth of Field data for each of their lenses here.
just click on the lens and then select Charts.

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/lenses/om_d_pen_lenses/index.html#list-3

At the closest distance and widest aperture the DoF can be just 2mm so when focus stacking the increments need to be kept to 1 or 2 max. I found that f/8 and increment set to 2 worked best for close ups.

jdal
24th August 2017, 08:26 AM
... I found that f/8 and increment set to 2 worked best for close ups.

Yes, that's what I've settled on for flowers/fungi with the 60mm. I am taking 20 shot sequences mostly, I want the important parts of the subject in focus, but not necessarily the whole thing.