PDA

View Full Version : TTL cables

dodger
17th February 2009, 10:19 PM
Discovered what could be a money saving tip re TTL cables the other day.

For some reason, Canon compatible TTL cables also work with Olympus camera/flash combinations. I tested this with an E-3 and FL-50R, getting full TTL through the cable. The only explanation I can think of is that the pins are in the same place, so the information still gets sent to the right place.

So instead of buying a 70 FL-CB05, buy a Canon compatible cable for around 35.

Apologies if this has already been posted, I couldn't see it anywhere and figured it might be useful to share.

dbutch
17th February 2009, 10:50 PM
To save even more money places like Jessops and Photomart do non branded versions in Canon fit, I've found the Photomart one for about 13 and it works fine

Dave

Archphoto
17th February 2009, 11:16 PM
The fun part of it all is that the pins match up so the cable works, but if you try a Canon flash it probable will not work with the Oly. (who cares ?!)

The idea is a money-saver. Thanks !:D

DerekW
18th February 2009, 10:36 AM
Received wisdom (I read it on the web somewhere) also says that the Canon cable is a more durable component - the Oly one easily unscrews and falls apart unless you use a locktite type gunge to stop the screws loosening.

Yorkie
9th April 2009, 12:43 PM
Just got a Jessops unit and it works fine with my E3 and FL30.

Thanks for the tip *chr

terryw
9th April 2009, 08:36 PM
If you go to the Accessories-Flash sub-forum and find "Marumi Ring Flash" you'll find some useful comments from Ian on the subject of Canon/Oly compatibility/non-compatibility.

Terry