PDA

View Full Version : Thom Hogan review of E-M1ii

pdk42
18th August 2017, 12:25 PM
I think this is a very fair review. Thom is a highly respected tog and a big Nikon user who also uses u43. I particularly liked this point:

I think it would surprise a lot of people that I've chosen to keep my E-M1 Mark II but not my Fujifilm X-T2. While the Fujifilm certainly has a bigger and arguably better sensor, the E-M1 Mark II—in shooting, not setup—simply out handles the X-T2 in my experience, and I even found the focus performance to be better, particularly with telephoto lenses. Put light gloves on and the handling of the X-T2 while shooting disappears while the E-M1 Mark II stays pretty much the same.

He also properly explains the difference between FPS Priority and SIS Priority - take a look:

http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/olympus-camera-reviews/olympus-e-m1-mark-ii-review.html

drmarkf
18th August 2017, 01:07 PM
Excellent, thanks for that, Paul.

Very fair, I'd say, and good to learn about the stabilisation priority point.

Ross the fiddler
19th August 2017, 10:04 AM
Thanks Paul.
It was interesting reading all his comments etc. :tup

*chr

Internaut
19th August 2017, 11:27 AM
Whenever I pick up one of the Olympus cameras, I'm immediately reminded of all the things they simply get right, without fuss. This was especially true having recently spent a couple of weeks shooting with a Sony A7 II. It's a great camera*, with amazing DR, but doesn't hold a candle to my OMD and Pen bodies when it comes the pleasure of picking it up and using it. Olympus puts the photographer front and centre of everything they do.

* And, I think, a real nerd's camera, when it comes to using adapted lenses.

GyRob
21st August 2017, 09:03 AM
Nice review, I have always used Canon cameras still do but the light weight of the Omd is a joy to use it's hard to fault it .

The only thing I don't like with the controls is the very soft shutter I often take a shot when I didn't mean to .
Rob.

wornish
21st August 2017, 10:53 AM
Good review. I still struggle with the explanation about the two different types of IS . FPS or SIS priority. What exactly is being re-centered when its set at SIS is it the sensor itself and if so doesn't that put everything back out of focus?

pdk42
21st August 2017, 11:27 AM
The sensor only moves in a single plane (the five axis marketing thing is a bit confusing) so IBIS movement won't affect the focus.

The issue with its interaction with shutter rate is simply this:

- The sensor moves during exposure to correct for camera shake. That means that it's displaced from central at the end of the shot.

- To allow max correction for any movement on the next shot, it's best to move the sensor back to the centre before exposure starts.

- This takes time which reduces the max FPS.

There are two ways out of this:

- Slow the FPS to allow the sensor to recentre - IS priority

- Live with the sensor being where it is but accept less effective motion compensation - FPS priority.