PDA

View Full Version : BLH-1 Battery Case Question

Olybirder
7th August 2017, 01:20 PM
I was pleased to find that the BLH-1 for the E-M1 II comes with a plastic case to protect it while it is not in use. One thing intrigues me about it though. On one side there is a little rectangular cut-out window with an embossed representation of a battery next to it. The window coincides with a triangle moulded into the battery and presumably this indicates which way the battery is inserted into the camera. I always put the battery into its case with the triangle visible through the window but I don't know why.

I assume it could be to indicate which is the terminal end of the battery but why would you need to know that? I suppose it could help if you were removing the battery from its case in the dark or without looking but surely you could just feel the terminals with your fingers.

Does anyone have any theories about the function of the 'window' and have you found a use for it?

Ron

Ross the fiddler
7th August 2017, 01:45 PM
Yeah, my theory is, 'it looks good'. ;) :D

Innit
7th August 2017, 04:02 PM
On the rear of the Olympus BLH-1 is a blue square with a recycling symbol on it. I put fully charged batteries into the case with the blue square visible through the cutout in the case and then when I take a flat battery out of the camera I put it into the case with the other way round.

This way when changing batteries I just need to grab a battery with the blue symbol showing to be sure of getting a fully charged one.

Olybirder
7th August 2017, 04:27 PM
Thanks Alan. I think that is probably the answer, although I suspect Olympus intended it to be used the other way round. Looking at the embossed battery symbol on the case it has four diagonal bars on it, which could indicate a fully charged battery. If the triangle is visible in the window it is pointing to that symbol, so you know the battery is fully charged. When it is exhausted you can put it in any other way round to indicate that it requires charging.

Your way is easier to see though.

Ron

Bikie John
7th August 2017, 04:54 PM
I put a small circular sticker on each side of the battery, one side red and the other green. When the battery is charged I put it in the case with the green one showing through the window, when it has died I put it in with the red one showing.

John

Walti
7th August 2017, 06:15 PM
It doesn't matter which way around you put the battery in the case when its charged, if you're daft like me and walk over one and a half miles to then realise you didn't re-charge the battery that's in the camera and you've left the fully charged spare in the car!

Ross the fiddler
8th August 2017, 02:44 AM
On the rear of the Olympus BLH-1 is a blue square with a recycling symbol on it. I put fully charged batteries into the case with the blue square visible through the cutout in the case and then when I take a flat battery out of the camera I put it into the case with the other way round.

This way when changing batteries I just need to grab a battery with the blue symbol showing to be sure of getting a fully charged one.

My battery must be different to yours because that doesn't line up on mine, however, on the front (the other side to the label on the back) the triangular arrow lines up nicely & points to the 'full battery' symbol moulded (embossed) above it on the case, so that means it is fully charged. *yes I turn the battery around for flat batteries & that works for me. *shrug

And I'm glad Ron sees it that way too. :D
Thanks Alan. I think that is probably the answer, although I suspect Olympus intended it to be used the other way round. Looking at the embossed battery symbol on the case it has four diagonal bars on it, which could indicate a fully charged battery. If the triangle is visible in the window it is pointing to that symbol, so you know the battery is fully charged. When it is exhausted you can put it in any other way round to indicate that it requires charging.

Your way is easier to see though.

Ron