PDA

View Full Version : That Leather Camera Bag

MikeH
4th August 2017, 04:30 PM
Has anyone found a practical use for the Gillis Leather Camera Bag that Olympus where giving away with the Mk2 at the NEC?

Apart from the fact that it's a bit heavy, I still haven't found a way to get the Mk2 with the 12-40 PRO in correctly and my trusty old 75-300 sticks up like a pimple on a youths spotty face.

Yet, I'm sure I read somwhere that Damian McGillicuddy has been seen using his bag. If that's the case I'd like to know the configuration he's using inside the bag.

Or for that matter if anyone knows how to get your gear in please let me know.

MikeH
4th August 2017, 05:16 PM
There is one on sale for 200 in the For Sale board apparently with a RRP of 275. I can just imagine SWMBO reaction if I paid 275 for a smallish camera bag after my protests at her paying 40 for a new handbag :D

John

I'm not trying to sell it. Just see if anyone has managed to find a practical use because for the life of me I can't.

I'm seriously thinking of giving it to our local charity shop and let them see if they can make good use of it, as I don't think anyone would want to buy it. I know I wouldn't.

Walti
4th August 2017, 05:21 PM
It appears to be designed for the PEN F and a couple of small primes, the demo on their website suggests the lower portion is for a very small travel tripod.

I can't make it fit the E-M1 MKii especially with telephoto lenses, and I have three reasonable sized lenses that don't go anywhere near it.

Mrs Walti feels it may be a very good travel/makeup bag....

MikeH
4th August 2017, 05:23 PM
Brand new, untouched, other than for a quick look at it. Might be worth asking WEX. But I've also sent Olympus a message asking for a practical way of storing my kit with the bag

MikeH
4th August 2017, 05:26 PM
I know someone local who uses the Pen-F. Might ask them if they want the bag at a really knock down price. . It's a shame though, I would have liked to use it.

Walti
4th August 2017, 05:38 PM
Having re-watched the demo on their site, I'll go and load mine up so you can all see how it may be used! (after tea)

MikeH
4th August 2017, 05:44 PM
Having re-watched the demo on their site, I'll go and load mine up so you can all see how it may be used! (after tea)

On the Gillis site they show the camera with the lens removed, not really practical

OM USer
4th August 2017, 06:02 PM
If I recall, Olympus have a Gillis bag as a prize in the latest magazine (or some other email I get). Is it the same bag?

MikeH
4th August 2017, 06:28 PM
Not sure, but probably yes.....

Phill D
5th August 2017, 06:17 AM
Yes Mike I saw Damian using one on his way out of the show. Couldn't say what he'd got inside it though ;)
In it's defence it's a lovely looking and smelling leather bag. The downside is it's heavy for us old guys and a mk2 wont fit easily. For a lady who only wants to carry a pen and a lens around it could be great as she could put handbag stuff in the other sections and maybe a brolly in the bottom. As a stylish handbag replacement, going on the weight of my wife's, then I'd say would be quite light :rolleyes:

George Dorn
5th August 2017, 08:47 AM
... and smelling leather bag.

My trusty Billingham didn't smell too good after someone's dog promptly watered it when I put it down. 'Though it did protect the contents pretty well :D

Gwyver
5th August 2017, 04:32 PM
Perhaps the clue is in the title; it's called a Camera Bag - not a Camera + Lens Bag :D

MikeH
6th August 2017, 08:53 AM
No matter how I try, I just cant find a way to fit any of my kit in a way that is logical and easy to use. So it's back to my trusty, "old and battered, nearly ten years old Lowepro backpack", that I got as freebie for signing up for some computer magazine.

yorky
6th August 2017, 09:13 AM
Not much use having a camera if its in a bag! Suppose its made or posers:=(

shenstone
6th August 2017, 12:56 PM
I have to admit having been to 2 events where if I had bought my EM1-II there I would have been given one and because I bought it not at those events I don't I would quite like one.. .

my reason...

Just to give it to the wife so she lets me go out again *chr

However I don't think I will buy one as I can buy her chocolate and that's a lot cheaper than they are sold for ;) :rolleyes:

Regards
Andy