PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using colour management in browswer?

Henk
14th February 2009, 05:38 PM
Does anyone of you use a browser with colour management enabled? What do you think of it?

I have enabled CM in Firefox since yesterday and I need some time to get used to it I guess. Some photo's with a lot of green look oversaturated now, in general all colours look more saturated.

Jim Ford
14th February 2009, 07:48 PM
How do you enable colour management in Firefox - is it a plugin?

Jim

crimbo
14th February 2009, 07:51 PM
...hows that done?

gno
14th February 2009, 08:24 PM
Colour management in Firefox

This (http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/08/color-management-support-added-to-firefox-3/)may help.

Type about:config in the Firefox address bar and hit return.

Scroll down to gfx.color_management right click and then Toggle.

Regards

Gavin

crimbo
15th February 2009, 07:11 AM
after scrabbling around I discovered that there is an add-on called color management that does the switching safely

Henk
19th February 2009, 04:03 PM
Colour management in Firefox

This (http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/08/color-management-support-added-to-firefox-3/)may help.

Type about:config in the Firefox address bar and hit return.

Scroll down to gfx.color_management right click and then Toggle.

Regards

Gavin

Thank you Gavin, yes that's how it is done in Firefox.

emirpprime
19th February 2009, 06:28 PM
I have had it one for a while now and like it. There are 2 problems though, one is that you have to remember many people wont have it, so uploads should still be in sRGB by and large. The other is that, like you say, untagged images or misedited images can be an assault on the eyes. However generally it is a step in the right direction. It is already in safari and opera AFAIK, turned on by default in FF3.1 so we're just waiting on IE as usual...
P

HughofBardfield
20th February 2009, 02:29 PM
I've had it enabled since Mozilla introduced it. I didn't notice any particular difference to my own images as they were produced on a calibrated monitor - but I did notice some of my Flickr contacts' images looked pretty ugly... One guy in particular who regularly posts to tell people their images are too dark had some quite nasty results.

AFAIC it's yet another good reason for not using Internet Explorer...

Henk
21st February 2009, 05:57 PM
I have had it one for a while now and like it. There are 2 problems though, one is that you have to remember many people wont have it, so uploads should still be in sRGB by and large.

If I understand colour management well your uploads should stay sRGB because that contains the data which together with the calibration data in the profile of your monitor will make that the grass looks the same shade of green on your screen as on mine.

I still have mixed feelings about the whole colour management thing as my images have too bright - oversaturated greens now which is difficult to correct.