PDA

View Full Version : IS, compact cameras and the E4xx series

Ellie
13th February 2009, 10:56 PM
I was wandering around the Olympus site the other day and noticed that they have included "Dual Image Stabilisation" in some of the little compact cameras.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_digital_camera_mju-9000_20575.htm

Does anybody know why, if they can manage to get it to work in one of these, they can't add it to the E-4xx series?

Archphoto
13th February 2009, 11:13 PM
I am afraid that is called MARKETING !

If Oly would put all their technology into a Exxx camera right now we would have a 20Mpix camera, shockproof and waterproof with IS and so on.

The compacts are showing us what is realy possible.
Just wait, wait and wait untill Oly comes with the next camera.

Peter

Fluffy
13th February 2009, 11:25 PM
I was wandering around the Olympus site the other day and noticed that they have included "Dual Image Stabilisation" in some of the little compact cameras.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29_digital_camera_mju-9000_20575.htm

Does anybody know why, if they can manage to get it to work in one of these, they can't add it to the E-4xx series?

Very tiny sensor and very, very tiny lens compared to the 4XX. Plus there needed to be a difference between the 4xx and 5xx an omitting IS held the cost down a bit.

photo_owl
13th February 2009, 11:54 PM
well one of the modes is movie related but I don't know how the other 'mechanical' one actually works.

I would guess it's not the same underlying basis as the E's though.Whilst there are some physical issues with the 4xx (inboard flash capacitor is parked in the area but in the grip on others) you have to believe that they could install an IS if they really wanted to.

Nick Temple-Fry
14th February 2009, 12:28 AM
What is 'dual image stabilisation' .

I'm not exceptionally bright and I don't understand

Thanks

Nick

Fluffy
14th February 2009, 02:01 AM
me too. I always took it to mean the image is stabilized on the way in and if that doesn't work it's stabilized on the way out.

Jonesgj
14th February 2009, 09:03 AM
me too. I always took it to mean the image is stabilized on the way in and if that doesn't work it's stabilized on the way out.

I thought it was like the dual stabilisation on the E520. You can choose to switch of the horizontal stabilization when panning.

So I googled ..

Dual Image Stabilization
The Stylus 750 features an advanced combination of mechanical CCD-shift Image Stabilization and Digital Image Stabilization. CCD-shift Image Stabilization uses built-in electro-gyro sensors to record camera movement and adjust the CCD image sensor. This ensures that light remains centered on the image sensor to maintain image clarity despite a slight movement on the part of the photographer. Digital Image Stabilization Mode boosts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed so that images remain crisp and clear - free from the blur caused by moving subjects. The combination of the two Image Stabilization Technologies ensures the best image clarity in virtually any shooting environment.

From

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_pressDetails.asp?pressNo=482

I liked my interpretation better :)