PDA

View Full Version : For those who have upgraded...any regrets ?

damianmkv
19th July 2017, 05:49 AM
Morning

I'm wondering just how much of an improvement the mk2 is over the mk1. I know it's difficult to quantify a "value" but does anyone regret upgrading ? Is the mk2 a revolution or an evolution for you ?

I mainly shoot drag racing, bmx, Motorsport, car shows and some landscape but my number 1 concern is af-lock ( the ability to focus and stay focused ) - other headline things on the mk2 are "nice" for me but not something that I need as such

I'm thinking of doing the test and wow in September of the e-m1 mk2 but am hoping to get some good user feedback in the meantime

Thanks very much

wornish
19th July 2017, 07:33 AM
I went from the em5mk2 to the em1mk2 and have no regrets at all. Do the test and wow and see for yourself, its the only way to decide as its your money you will be spending.

Wee man
19th July 2017, 07:47 AM
Went from EM1mki to EM1mkii no regrets think I have the set up I want now.
I have gone all m4/3 after replacing all my 4/3 except the Bigma.
Still learning but that's what's its all about.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Growltiger
19th July 2017, 08:06 AM
No regrets at all. I kept the original E-M1 as a backup and its a very good camera too.

DerekW
19th July 2017, 09:49 AM
ditto also kept the mk i such a pity that I have to take two different sets of batteries and chargers.

Perhaps the biggest leap forward was the 12-100mm lens.

Olybirder
19th July 2017, 10:12 AM
I would suggest trying before you buy. For your C-AF use I think the Mk 2 is an improvement over the Mk 1 but not a huge step forward. It is a better camera than the Mk 1 and I do not regret buying it but it still has a long way to go before it is a really great action camera.

Ron

damianmkv
19th July 2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks Ron - it's all to easy to get mixed up with the "it's so much better / a little better " stuff on the internet. If the mk2 is better but not hugely so, I see no point in spending 1400+ as a cost to change over the mk1 at this stage.

Ross the fiddler
19th July 2017, 11:47 AM
I haven't had enough time to think about regrets yet, it's only been a few weeks & I'm keeping the E-M1 as well. :rolleyes:

*chr

Beagletorque
19th July 2017, 12:09 PM
ISO - I shot some school play stuff in the gloom without flash at high iso, I just happened to have both bodies with me. Due to battery charge issues(!, silly me) I used both cameras at the same iso and with the same lenses. The mk1 shots were basically unusable.
Personally I think the focus is a big improvement, but you need to keep the fps to around 6 or less to allow accurate caf. Just what I've found your mileage may vary as they say.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bikie John
19th July 2017, 01:50 PM
No regrets for me. I think the Mark II is an altogether more solid camera, it strikes me as a nice evolution from the Mark I.

It's a shame the battery is different. It is definitely an improvement - and having a decent battery charge indicator is only a small thing but a big plus for me - but it would have been nice if it were plug-compatible. I kept a Mark I body and quite often use them together and it is a bit of a pain having to carry and keep track of 2 sets of spare batteries.

I haven't really tried the whizzy new features like Pro Capture to any great extent and I don't do video, so can't comment on them. I shoot a fair bit of live music which often requires high ISO and I can confirm Beagletorque's comment. I wouldn't like to quantify it, but my very rough feel is that there is around an extra stop that is usable. It has pretty much reached the point now where I feel it is good enough for what I want to do, after years of bellyaching about it.

John

damianmkv
19th July 2017, 01:58 PM
Yes, i had to shoot at 6400 for a bird of prey destroying a blackbird in my garden earlier in the year...lets just say the shots weren't very clean. I guess it depends on how the files clean up in post too - is there a difference ?

Having one spare battery instead of 2 would be a bonus too

Ross the fiddler
19th July 2017, 02:09 PM
BTW. This thread gave good reasons to upgrade. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45203

damianmkv
19th July 2017, 02:22 PM
that link is bringing me back to this thread ?

DavyG
19th July 2017, 02:23 PM
I upgraded to the E-M1 to the E-M1 II, my wife did so from the E-M5 II.

There are noticeable improvements in the E-M1 II which I think makes the upgrade worthwhile.

I sent my E-M1 II into Olympus the have the rubber repaired and used my E-M1 whilst the Mark II away, that was when I really noticed the difference, I couldn't wait for the E-M1 II to be returned.

We'll keep the E-M1 and the E-M5 II as backup bodies but hope we don't have to use them.

Dave

damianmkv
19th July 2017, 02:46 PM
thanks Dave - i can't afford to keep the mk1 as a spare unfortunately

Gwyver
19th July 2017, 03:52 PM
No regrets since PXing my E-M1 for the E-M1 mk2.

I'd say that C-AF has changed from pretty much useless on the Mk1 to very usable on the Mk2 (subject to previously mentioned caveats about using SeqL at 6~8fps etc.).
The Focus Limiter is also a useful improvement for the types of photography you mention.
Battery life is much improved - so 1 spare is all you're ever likely to need.

However I would like Olympus to produce a 90~250 F4 Pro lens to complement the 12~100 - it would provide a great system for action/wildlife photos.

Ross the fiddler
19th July 2017, 10:53 PM
that link is bringing me back to this thread ?

Sorry, I must have had too many tabs open & lost my concentration (that's easy for me :o ). I've corrected it & here it is again. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45203

Ross the fiddler
19th July 2017, 11:04 PM
No regrets since PXing my E-M1 for the E-M1 mk2.

I'd say that C-AF has changed from pretty much useless on the Mk1 to very usable on the Mk2 (subject to previously mentioned caveats about using SeqL at 6~8fps etc.).
The Focus Limiter is also a useful improvement for the types of photography you mention.
Battery life is much improved - so 1 spare is all you're ever likely to need.

However I would like Olympus to produce a 90~250 F4 Pro lens to complement the 12~100 - it would provide a great system for action/wildlife photos.

The Pro 40-150 +MC14 gives 56mm to 210mm at f4, with it all being 40mm shorter, so I'm not sure they would they bring it, but who knows? *shrug

I suppose though, adding the MC14, it could be useful though, with it then being 126mm to 350mm at f5.6.

damianmkv
20th July 2017, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the link, appreciated. Maybe to be expected here but no one has said the upgrade hasn't been worthwhile

Just the two Ws to get by now ( wife and wallet )

Ross the fiddler
20th July 2017, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the link, appreciated. Maybe to be expected here but no one has said the upgrade hasn't been worthwhile

Just the two Ws to get by now ( wife and wallet )

That was a difficult one for me. :rolleyes: I chose to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Thankfully it worked out OK in the end, but my daughter was unimpressed I didn't tell my wife I was buying it. I convinced my wife I didn't think she would say yes (& is truly what I believed) & why I couldn't pass up the end of financial year specials together with the Olympus bonus downunder & so went for it while I could.

damianmkv
20th July 2017, 05:46 AM
I just got a pay rise, backdated so I'm half way there

All good things and all that...

MJ224
20th July 2017, 05:56 AM
Deceit works well for me.

She does not really see the difference between one camera and the next........

The mk1 and 2 are not immediately different.

The zoom lens was gradually introduced..............

But mayjustbe that she is cleverer than I think and chooses not to make a battle of it.........You never be sure with the fairer (??) sex....*chr

Gwyver
20th July 2017, 06:09 AM

I suppose though, adding the MC14, it could be useful though, with it then being 126mm to 350mm at f5.6.

Precisely. This is Panasonic 100-400 range - in fact brighter at the long end - but with Sync IS and Olympus IQ. More versatile than a 300 F4 :)

DanC.Licks
20th July 2017, 06:11 AM
Regrets? None what so ever!

Walti
20th July 2017, 07:41 AM
Until I tried the MKii I was looking at ditching the M4/3 MKi and going to Canikon 35mm sized sensors as I was getting very frustrated with some of the limitations of the camera that I found very difficult to work around.

The MKii has removed this completely and now the limitations are definitely me rather than the camera!

I've been using it for bird watching, including birds in flight, macro, and aircraft, all without issue - more than happy with the output of the system.

Recently at a reserve I was Nikon'd - by a 35mm sensor user! http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45115

Phill D
20th July 2017, 09:06 AM
I suggest you blow that backdated pay rise and get a Mk2. Does that mean I've no regrets as you asked well actually no it doesn't but I'd still do the upgrade anyway. What's my regret? its that they removed the sunset scene mode! I'm sure one day, eventually, maybe, I'll get to a work round but I really really wish they'd do a firmware update and reinstate it. I've just stopped taking sunsets now :(. It will be much better for all the fast moving stuff you want to shoot. I've got some of the best aeroplane shots I've ever taken with mine.

damianmkv
20th July 2017, 10:07 AM
Until I tried the MKii I was looking at ditching the M4/3 MKi and going to Canikon 35mm sized sensors as I was getting very frustrated with some of the limitations of the camera that I found very difficult to work around.

The MKii has removed this completely and now the limitations are definitely me rather than the camera!

I've been using it for bird watching, including birds in flight, macro, and aircraft, all without issue - more than happy with the output of the system.

Recently at a reserve I was Nikon'd - by a 35mm sensor user! http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45115

good to know, thanks

Jim Ford
20th July 2017, 10:29 AM
Deceit works well for me.

She does not really see the difference between one camera and the next........

The mk1 and 2 are not immediately different.

Of course if a third party were to point the differences out .....!

But then the (hypothetical) third party could possibly be persuaded to hold back if a big enough deposit were to be made in their bank - just enough to cover the cost of an EM1 Mk2 for the (hypothetical) third party.

PM me for my bank details!

Jim

damianmkv
20th July 2017, 10:40 AM
my problem could be my mk1 is silver.... :eek:

Walti
20th July 2017, 10:59 AM
my problem could be my mk1 is silver.... :eek:

So's mine!

I got around this fact by buying a 14-150 (secondhand) and letting SWMBO use it as her main camera - and a handy spare for me should I need it! She's really getting on well with it as it's so much better than her old Olympus SP500UZ all in one! Unfortunately her photos are better than mine as she's so much better at composition than me!

I've set it to JPEG and P for her and she's looking at the Art filters as her next step up!

skids
20th July 2017, 04:53 PM
No regrets from me.

I've managed to get away with 'hidden' purchase so far but the Sprogs are back from college now so may so may get caught out soon.

Trying to hide the 40-150 recently purchased from this forum however...........

Ross the fiddler
20th July 2017, 10:30 PM
No regrets from me.

I've managed to get away with 'hidden' purchase so far but the Sprogs are back from college now so may so may get caught out soon.

Trying to hide the 40-150 recently purchased from this forum however...........

You can't hide it for too long. *nono You have to come clean sooner or later & later will be met a less favourable response. *yes Your better half will feel betrayed if they are kept in the dark on major spending.

Phill D
21st July 2017, 10:25 AM
Maybe we could set up a forum virtual borrowing ring. I'll let you say I've lent it to you if you do the same for me :D