PDA

View Full Version : Preview Images in Black and White

mjw
4th July 2017, 08:58 AM
I sthis possible, a la Canon - so you can qyuickly check tones of fleah as you shoot

pdk42
4th July 2017, 09:29 AM
I sthis possible, a la Canon - so you can qyuickly check tones of fleah as you shoot

There are two ways. Both involve shooting raw:

- Set the image mode to mono. You'll see images in mono both in the Live view before exposure and on playback, but since you're shooting raw you can choose to go back to colour later in Post Processing on the PC.

- Leave the image mode in colour, but use the raw data edit mode on playback to convert images on a case by case basis to mono to check skin tones.

If mono is your final destination, use option 1. If it's just checking tones, then go option 2.

mjw
4th July 2017, 09:54 AM
Hey, Thanks for the reply... In the scenario i'm in I may be shooting several hundred pics in a studio, and i need to check skin tones on every shot, will this technique allow for this without manipulating each image?

:cool:

Grumpy Hec
4th July 2017, 10:48 AM
Another loosely linked observation of this is that along with the mono element as described by Paul you can use a different image format (i.e. 1:1, 16:9 etc.) in essentially the same way. So if you are thinking square mono you can see in the viewfinder but retain the option to revert of 4:3 say as you have the RAW image anyway.

May not be relevant to you but I thought I'd mention it.

Hec

pdk42
4th July 2017, 01:27 PM
Hey, Thanks for the reply... In the scenario i'm in I may be shooting several hundred pics in a studio, and i need to check skin tones on every shot, will this technique allow for this without manipulating each image?

:cool:

Best to use method 1 then. If you use LR then you can batch edit them to be colour after you've imported them.

Ian
5th July 2017, 09:23 AM
Interesting topic - can I ask if anyone has any objection to me using this in my technical help page in Amateur Photographer?

Ian

shenstone
5th July 2017, 10:10 AM
HI Ian

This is similar to the only use case I have found for the occasional use of the Art Scene modes - try something whilst you are onsite to get confidence it works (on camera screen level at least), but know you are not fixed into it by recording RAW as well

Regards
Andy

alfbranch
5th July 2017, 08:00 PM
Beware of the file setting defaulting to jpg when mono is set. You may need to change to RAW after selecting mono.

I know I have made that error
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45434

pdk42
5th July 2017, 08:04 PM
Interesting topic - can I ask if anyone has any objection to me using this in my technical help page in Amateur Photographer?

Ian

No issue for me Ian. I'm happy to write a small piece to explain in more detail if it's helpful.