PDA

View Full Version : 60fps - for landscapes?

pdk42
3rd July 2017, 02:13 PM
I was trying this weekend to capture some moving water in daytime. Ideally I'd use LiveComp which gives an additive stack of images using the electronic shutter. However, its shortest exposure time is a half second, so it's useless in daytime without an ND filter and tripod; since I had neither with me, I gave up.

Dwelling on this later, I was thinking that I could emulate the effect by using the 60fps electronic shutter. Here's the idea:

- Shoot a couple of seconds at 60 fps at normal exposure (e.g.1/125 at f8). This will generate about 100 nice sharp images but where the water will have moved. Obviously, you could reduce the frame rate and increase the time.

- Assemble the resulting images in Photoshop - it will auto align and do an exposure blend. With IS, the movement due to camera shake will be minimal so the alignment should be easy.

- Voila - a daytime LiveComp!

Of course, it'll generate a lot of files and will need some PP work, but the results should make it worthwhile.

Has anyone tried this? I'll give it a go in the next few days and report back!

Paul

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd July 2017, 02:26 PM
I "discovered" something similar when playing with focus stacking and moving reeds/grasses.

Certainly well worth trying it out, just to see how well the end result turns out.

I expect the registration of so many images may degrade the overall sharpness, but that too may be attractive.

look forward to seeing the results.

*chr

OM USer
3rd July 2017, 03:18 PM
I like the idea.

Grumpy Hec
3rd July 2017, 03:30 PM
I have seen this basic idea, just using multiple images shot manually on a tripod, as a suggested alternative to ND filters on the grounds that is avoids any colour correction issues. I'm sure it will have it's limitations but I have been thinking about trying it give that the process in PS is fairly straightforward.

Hec

Phill D
3rd July 2017, 03:58 PM
Yes it will be interesting to see how you get on Paul.

DavyG
3rd July 2017, 07:11 PM
I was trying this weekend to capture some moving water in daytime. Ideally I'd use LiveComp which gives an additive stack of images using the electronic shutter. However, its shortest exposure time is a half second, so it's useless in daytime without an ND filter and tripod; since I had neither with me, I gave up.

Dwelling on this later, I was thinking that I could emulate the effect by using the 60fps electronic shutter. Here's the idea:

- Shoot a couple of seconds at 60 fps at normal exposure (e.g.1/125 at f8). This will generate about 100 nice sharp images but where the water will have moved. Obviously, you could reduce the frame rate and increase the time.

- Assemble the resulting images in Photoshop - it will auto align and do an exposure blend. With IS, the movement due to camera shake will be minimal so the alignment should be easy.

- Voila - a daytime LiveComp!

Of course, it'll generate a lot of files and will need some PP work, but the results should make it worthwhile.

Has anyone tried this? I'll give it a go in the next few days and report back!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I was interested in trying to capture moving water in daytime without using ND filters and found the following instructions on how to do this using an E-M1, they should be the same for use on an E-M1 Mk2.

I recall being impressed by the image which accompanied the instructions.

I hope these instructions will be of some help and look forward to seeing any images you produce using them.

Dave

Live Comp during the daytime.

If you ever find yourself wanting the effect of smooth or running water but don't have a neutral density filter try using Live Composite. The minimum shutter speed for Live Comp is 1/2sec so I put the camera in shutter priority mode at 1/2sec, set ISO to Low or 200 (either can work), and allow the metering of the camera to determine your aperture. Then set the camera to manual mode, adjust the aperture to match what was determined by the metering in the previous step, and you are ready to shoot. Turn the shutter speed all the way past the longest shutter speed to access Live Comp. Make sure to go into the menu and select shutter speed of 1/2sec for Live Comp. Compose your shot and press the shutter button once for the initial capture and a second time to start the Live Comp process.

Settings for this shot:

ISO Low
Shutter 1/2 second
Aperture f/11
Live Comp for 15 seconds (30 frames captured)

Phill D
3rd July 2017, 08:14 PM
Actually thinking about it I'm sure I've seen some images that Ian Gregory did of moving water like this. If he still looks in here occasionally then maybe he will post some of them.

pdk42
3rd July 2017, 10:20 PM
Hi Paul,

I was interested in trying to capture moving water in daytime without using ND filters and found the following instructions on how to do this using an E-M1, they should be the same for use on an E-M1 Mk2.

I recall being impressed by the image which accompanied the instructions.

I hope these instructions will be of some help and look forward to seeing any images you produce using them.

Dave

Live Comp during the daytime.

If you ever find yourself wanting the effect of smooth or running water but don't have a neutral density filter try using Live Composite. The minimum shutter speed for Live Comp is 1/2sec so I put the camera in shutter priority mode at 1/2sec, set ISO to Low or 200 (either can work), and allow the metering of the camera to determine your aperture. Then set the camera to manual mode, adjust the aperture to match what was determined by the metering in the previous step, and you are ready to shoot. Turn the shutter speed all the way past the longest shutter speed to access Live Comp. Make sure to go into the menu and select shutter speed of 1/2sec for Live Comp. Compose your shot and press the shutter button once for the initial capture and a second time to start the Live Comp process.

Settings for this shot:

ISO Low
Shutter 1/2 second
Aperture f/11
Live Comp for 15 seconds (30 frames captured)

The problem with that is that if it's bright a half second exposure, even at ISO 100, is still going to need too small an aperture - e.g. 1/125 @f8 will need f64 at 0.5s. It would be helpful if Olympus could reduce the minimum shutter time to a lot less than 1/2 sec.

Ricoh
3rd July 2017, 11:04 PM
60fps - I must say I'm really impressed. It's taking me three to four weeks to fire off 36.

AMc
4th July 2017, 10:46 AM
Not sure you need to use a 60fps to get the effect you're after?

You could try the technique this person suggests - skip to 3m45s if you're impatient :)
You (probably) DON'T Need Polarizing, UV, or ND Filters: Simulate them for FREE! - YouTube

I tried the technique out as a test, I've not done it in anger yet but I think there is potential. I only used 10 exposures -details and test images here.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/nd-filters-advice-please.2089728/#post-25027106