PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 50-500 after E3 v1.3 upgrade

Jon Taverner
8th February 2009, 08:12 PM
I successfully downloaded and installed the v1.3 upgrade on Thursday and then spent hours on Friday trying to remember my original settings. Yesterday and today, I went out with high hopes of actually being able to capture birds in flight using the 'improved' CAF - something which I've never been able to do properly with the E3. My old Nikon D40x with the 70-300VR set on Sport was much better!!
I must admit I have been extremely disappointed. Even on SAF, the Bigma pointing at an almost stationary Teal, which filled the viewfinder, took almost 5 seconds to lock in and focus properly. Last week, in similar sunlight, at the same time and place, it was certainly much quicker.
Attempting BIF was again unsuccessful with no change from previous experimentations and I have no idea where and how this improvement is supposed to occur.
I have spent most of the evening trying to work out whether it is me and whether I have not reset the camera properly.
Have any of you who have this or indeed any other telephoto lens tried out your equipment since the upgrade and have you noticed any difference - good or bad?

andym
8th February 2009, 08:21 PM
I'll give it a go in the morning and let you know.

Seems ok with the 50-200 and EC14.

Jon Taverner
8th February 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Andy.

Graham_of_Rainham
8th February 2009, 09:02 PM
I was tracking a fox with the 70-300 at full zoom and it worked very well. I'll try it with the 1.4 as well to see how far I can push it.

*chr

Jon Taverner
8th February 2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks Graham. I would be really grateful if you would let me know what settings you use for successful continuous focus tracking. All my attempts at altering menus do not seem to result in anything that is worth keeping.

PeterD
8th February 2009, 10:57 PM
I have used the E3 + Sigma 50-500 + EC14 today. Bright conditions but not sunny. No problems either CAF or SAF. I have not noticed any change in the focussing times since loading firmware 1.3. I also do not know what improvements were made as there has not been any change in the AF perormance:confused:

Peter

Nick Temple-Fry
8th February 2009, 11:46 PM
The one area where there was predicted to be an improvement with 1.3 was the continuous shooting speed with c-af, and I believe that has been achieved.

I haven't seen any difference with initial focus acquisition or focus hold on a moving object, but the release didn't suggest there would be.

Nick

PeterD
8th February 2009, 11:55 PM
The one area where there was predicted to be an improvement with 1.3 was the continuous shooting speed with c-af, and I believe that has been achieved.

I haven't seen any difference with initial focus acquisition or focus hold on a moving object, but the release didn't suggest there would be.

Nick

Hi Nick
I guess you are correct. Certainly, I did not experience the problems Jon has encountered. I cannot comment on the shooting speed as it is too subjective.
Peter

andym
9th February 2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Jon

I've just run off a few shots in very bad light and I can see no change in the focus on the Bigma.

Hope you havn't developed a lens problem.It's not doing what mine did when it developed a fault ie rattling around the focus point for about 5-10 seconds before it locks??

Jon Taverner
9th February 2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks everybody -just got in from work. I will obviously need to experiment a little more but I'm pretty sure that it is not just my imagination.
Andy, your description of the lens 'rattling about for around 5 secs' before achieving focus accurately reflected what happened. It did appear to find more difficulty when the teal was very close and almost filling the viewfinder than when I focussed on something further away. Perhaps if I change from single spot small to either single spot or dynamic when something is very near, it might help although I have never had to use them before.
Again, thank you. Your advice and experiences are extremely helpful

tlove
9th February 2009, 07:53 PM
Hope you havn't developed a lens problem.It's not doing what mine did when it developed a fault ie rattling around the focus point for about 5-10 seconds before it locks??

Ohhhh, Andy - I sincerely hope my 'replacement' Bigma wasn't your old one :eek:! One of the problems I have with this new one of mine is the focus motor - it seems unable to lock onto the subject properly (and the images are still way too soft - and the lens has been tried on different bodies, all with the same result:(). Otherwise it's a very good lens :D

Looks like mine will be going back any time now :(

andym
9th February 2009, 08:05 PM
Ohhhh, Andy - I sincerely hope my 'replacement' Bigma wasn't your old one :eek:! One of the problems I have with this new one of mine is the focus motor - it seems unable to lock onto the subject properly (and the images are still way too soft - and the lens has been tried on different bodies, all with the same result:(). Otherwise it's a very good lens :D

Looks like mine will be going back any time now :(

Now did I check that serial number;) *yes

Good luck with Sigma Thea.

Jon

Looks like yours might need a trip back also.