PDA

View Full Version : Screen protectors

23rd May 2017, 08:48 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question! Would a screen protector (thin plastic type, not flexible mobile phone type) impact on the touch screen functions of the E M1 2 and for that matter an E PL6?

drmarkf
23rd May 2017, 09:39 AM
For years I never used them, but 4 or 5 years ago on the first day of owning my original Sony RX100 I was carrying it in the pocket of my hiking trousers, and at the end of the day there were several light scratches on the bottom of the screen. I never did work out how they'd been caused, but I've used protectors since. I've had no problems since, but there again I'd had no problems beforehand either!

I've had ones variously from Swido and ExpertShield and have never noticed any issues with use of the touch screen.

Olybirder
23rd May 2017, 10:09 AM
I have had a ExpertShield protector fitted to my E-M1 from new and have never had any problems with it over three and a half years. In fact I forget it is there for most of the time. I rarely use the touch screen function but haven't noticed any issues with its sensitivity.

Ron

Zuiko
23rd May 2017, 10:31 AM
I thoroughly recommend the Swido anti-reflective protectors, easily found by a search on Amazon.

Growltiger
23rd May 2017, 04:01 PM
I have the ExpertShield on the E-M1 II. Works perfectly.

dcbrookes
23rd May 2017, 11:41 PM
I have a glass screen protector on my E-M1 which is superb, and does not affect the touch screen operation. Unfortunately the flippy screen on my E-M5ii cannot take the same screen protector, as its thickness would prevent the screen folding flat against the body when turned inwards, but as this protects the screen anyway, it is not so much of a problem.

David

ludwig
24th May 2017, 09:28 AM
My tuppence worth.
I opted for an expert shield for my E-M1.
It seems to have done the trick.
Pricey, but decent.
I think the proof of quality of a protector though is how easy it comes of, whnever it needs to be removed.
I bought some cheap and nasty protectors for my old GF5 and my dad's GF3.
He dropped his GF3 - screen damaged beyond repair - I thought I'd try to remove the protector though, to see if the screen was damaged other than the protector - tried to remove - and the protector stripped off the top shiny coating on the screen plastic. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending how you see it), the screen was damaged beyond repair, before I removed the protector - so no real loss there.
What I can't vouch for is how easily any brands protectors are removed - Expert Shield being of prime importance to me and my E-M1.

Can any of you guys chip in here?

PS - the touch screen functionality of my E-M1 is barely affected by the protector. I seem to recall that I went for one of the glass options, rather than the plastic.

Walti
24th May 2017, 10:46 AM
My early experience with screen protectors is such that I've not used them since!

I had a small Canon Ixus with a screen protector on that I used for work, it literally was thrown in the bottom of the tool box, the protector got scratched to bits as you'd expect so when I went to change it - it wrecked the screen removing it so no net benefit in using it at all, in fact probably a negative as I don't think the screen would have scratched up as quickly as the fairly soft protector!

So all my phones and cameras have gone without protectors and have been fine!

DerekW
24th May 2017, 10:51 AM
Another satisfied user of Expert Shield protectors here

When I bought my first one I thought I would see how tough it was and so scraped it quite hard with the point of a pair scissors. It marked the Expert Shield (as I expected).

I then received a "How good was for you" questionaire in which I expressed my satisfaction but commented on my pursuit of knowledge experience, but stating that it was a reckless act and not making a complaint. They sent me a new Expert Shield with a note saying they would have tested it in the same way in a similar situation.

Since then I have bought 3 or 4 for my expanding fleet of cameras.

ludwig
24th May 2017, 10:59 AM
FWIW - I've been using tempered glass screens on my mobile phone for the last couple of years - and I reckon they have been invaluable - a couple of times I've dropped my phone from a low height, and though the protector has cracked, the screen has been untouched.
And they've been easy to remove too. I'm hoping the expert shield works in a similar way in the event I need to remove mine.

Wee man
24th May 2017, 12:14 PM
I use expert shield protectors for all my Email bodies and my tablet. No complaints, I bought an anti glare screen for my mkii but find my reactalite glasses when dark make viewing difficult.
I have a problem with light after a brain I jury from a RTA on my motorbike.
I bought a clear replacement, removal was easy and I have the anti glare back on the fitting material sheet.
This is available FREE to the first person contacting me by PM to get my address to send me a SSAE. The protector fits the EM 1 and EM 5
and is easy to fit. It may fit other models.

I did scratch one on my E5 two years ago and spoke to a staff member on their stand at the Photography Show. He listened turned round and handed me a replacement, good customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wee man
24th May 2017, 12:16 PM
I use expert shield protectors for all my E system bodies and my tablet. No complaints, I bought an anti glare screen for my mkii but find my reactalite glasses when dark make viewing difficult.
I have a problem with light after a brain I jury from a RTA on my motorbike.
I bought a clear replacement, removal was easy and I have the anti glare back on the fitting material sheet.
This is available FREE to the first person contacting me by PM to get my address to send me a SSAE. The protector fits the EM 1 and EM 5
and is easy to fit. It may fit other models.

I did scratch one on my E5 two years ago and spoke to a staff member on their stand at the Photography Show. He listened turned round and handed me a replacement, good customer service.

OM USer
24th May 2017, 04:12 PM
I use the Swido matt anti reflective shield on the E-M5 Mk1. I have not noticed any issues.

Wee man
24th May 2017, 11:06 PM
No issues with the product it is just when my glasses have darkened due to bright light I cannot see as clearly as I can with the clear screen.

blu-by-u
25th May 2017, 01:33 AM
The harden ones cannot be used with the swivel screens like the Em1mk2 and the em5mk2. Only the thin flexible ones.
I use the matte ones as i don't like the reflective surface of the LCD.