PDA

View Full Version : Question on EM1 mk2 /300f4 combination.

Athene
22nd May 2017, 09:14 PM
This is my first post on the forum so I hope it's in the correct section , apologies if not.
I've just invested in the EM1 mk2 and the 300 f4 pro and took it out for the first time this evening.

I'm really happy but one thing that is bugging me is the gyro (or whatever it is) constantly running in the 300 f4 - it's not the i/s as i can hear and see that kick in when I activate the shutter.

It stops after a time but will start again even if I just press to review images or bring up the menu. I've spent some time trying to find if there is a setting on the camera to remedy the problem.

Has anyone an answer to this ? apart from anything else it must really drain the battery.

Walti
22nd May 2017, 09:22 PM
Yes it's a gyro running and it seems to run whenever the system is available for use.

Battery life doesn't seem to be affected with it on (I've still to run down one battery all the way.... but still carry a spare)

The worst time you notice it is if you're in a nice quiet hide and put the camera down on a shelf!

I love the image stabilisation so have never considered turning it off, it's a very small price to pay! If you turn the IBIS and lens stabilisation off it may stop? I've never tried though!

PeterBirder
22nd May 2017, 09:52 PM
Have you applied firmware update 1.2 for both camera and lens?
These alledgedly address a "noise" problem when operating in sequential mode.

Athene
23rd May 2017, 04:46 AM
Thanks for your help on this,

Glad it's not just me experiencing this issue,

I will check for firmware updates as suggested..

wornish
23rd May 2017, 07:12 AM
The firmware update makes no difference.

It comes on as soon as the camera is switched on and only stops when the camera is turned off. There is a slight click as it stops. It is only noticeable in a very quiet situation. Doesn't seem to make any difference to the battery life as far as I have noticed.

MJ224
23rd May 2017, 07:27 AM
[QUOTE=Athene;415069]This is my first post on the forum so I hope it's in the correct section , apologies if not.
I've just invested in the EM1 mk2 and the 300 f4 pro and took it out for the first time this evening.

...............QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum. And a great investment you have made.

I see you are from Norfolk, my family home from years back.........*chr

Phill D
23rd May 2017, 08:40 AM
Yes welcome from the forum from me too. You certainly jumped into m4/3 with both feet. Looking forward to seeing some images.

wornish
23rd May 2017, 09:00 AM
Just done a few more checks.

It seems to be on no matter what the settings of the body are.

Tried turning OFF the lens stabilisation makes no difference it still comes on when body power turned on.

Tried setting body IS to OFF and lens IS to OFF same again gyro starts up.

It seems to be something that is on all the time.

Not a big issue for me.

drmarkf
23rd May 2017, 09:43 AM
It could still be related to the stabilisation system: the sensor has to be suspended in the correct position even if it isn't moving to counter shakes. I'm not sure how the lens stabilisation works, but that might also need to be activated to hold the element in the right place.

drmarkf
23rd May 2017, 10:08 AM
I've just done a very non-scientific test (plus do note that my hearing isn't what it was):

E-M1ii and lenses with latest firmware.

Camera plus 15mm f1.7 PanLeica or 7-14 f2.8 Pro.
Faint breathing sound when switched on, regardless of whether IS is set on or not.

Camera plus 12-100 f4 or 300 f4.
Faint breathing sound when switched on, which I think gains a slightly higher pitch and slight increase in loudness when IS is set on with the lens switch. On the 300 I get the impression that this extra sound is coming from roughly mid-way along the lens.

Could be fooling myself about any of that, of course, human beings being so suggestible :D I tested the effect of moving the IS switch on the lens sound quite a few times, though, and I think it's real - it would be scientifically better, of course, to have someone else switching the IS via the menu without the listener being able to tell if and when it was switched.

Certainly the body 'breathing' sound of the mkii is noticeably quieter than that of the mki.

This is quite interesting on background: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/12/17/comparison-olympus-sonys-5-axis-stabilization-work/

...and the video on here shows the principle: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-zuiko-ed-300mm-f4-0-is-pro.html

Athene
23rd May 2017, 10:16 AM
Thanks again for your welcomes and help,

I sold a lot of Nikon kit (inc, 300 AFS f2.8, 600 AFS f4 & 16-35 f4) to get my Olympus set up !

IainMacD
23rd May 2017, 12:50 PM
I don't have this camera/lens combination (I am very sad to say) and I don't have my camera at hand, but I seem to remember something about a setting for stabilising the viewfinder; could it be this causing the sound?

drmarkf
23rd May 2017, 01:04 PM
...Nikon kit (inc, 300 AFS f2.8, 600 AFS f4 & 16-35 f4) to get my Olympus set up !

Serious gear! :eek:

Back in the day I had a Nikon D300 with a 70-200 f2.8 VRII which used to make a humming-swishing sound when the VR was activated - I'm sure that's the same thing we're talking about here.

GyRob
23rd May 2017, 08:26 PM
Just to add my mkII AND 300F4 makes a gyro sound so as I have it set to sleep after 60 seconds that's how long it stays on.
Rob.

Athene
26th May 2017, 12:27 PM
Just to add my mkII AND 300F4 makes a gyro sound so as I have it set to sleep after 60 seconds that's how long it stays on.
Rob.

Rob, yes it's a 300 f4 thing - my 12-40 switches off immediately once my finger leaves the shutter.

Gary

drmarkf
27th May 2017, 10:20 AM
Rob, yes it's a 300 f4 thing - my 12-40 switches off immediately once my finger leaves the shutter.

Gary

Yes, it only happens with the 300 and the 12-100, which are the only lenses that have IS via moving internal lens elements. It must be the sound of the motor moving the element.

Athene
29th May 2017, 07:08 AM
Rob.

Hi Rob,
Yes, but go to review the images (after the 60secs ) and it'll start up again without even touching the shutter - frustrating..and a real waste of the battery

Even though I'm very new to Olympus I reckon there is a firmware update required to stop it.