PDA

View Full Version : AF targeting pad

Walti
20th May 2017, 10:23 AM
I was using this a while ago and then it's stopped working! definitely set to ON in the menu, however the targeting feature refuses to work for me.

Touch pad works in all other modes, so I must have set something else to disable it, any clues?

pdk42
20th May 2017, 10:27 AM
I've had the same problem and in the end went back to default settings to get it to work again. If anyone figures it out, let us know!

Walti
20th May 2017, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, I've downloaded the settings to the PC, reset the camera "full reset" and it still doesn't work, reloaded the settings to the camera, still no go...

Olympus technical support on Monday I think!

Growltiger
20th May 2017, 11:39 AM
Where is your screen? It must be folded onto the back of the camera, with the screen visible. Otherwise the feature is disabled.

Walti
20th May 2017, 11:42 AM
Where is your screen? It must be folded onto the back of the camera, with the screen visible. Otherwise the feature is disabled.

Indeed - it has worked in the past but not now... I am unsure whether I last used it pre or post v1.1

Have sent a support request to Oly UK

drmarkf
20th May 2017, 02:43 PM
Ooooo 'eck.
I've got to appreciate the tracking pad over the past couple of weeks.

I'm about to do the update anyway (I'd probably rather have its advantages, and manage without the pad for a week or two if necessary), but I will check it out right away afterwards and report back here (and to Olympus).

Growltiger
20th May 2017, 03:01 PM
It works fine with the latest firmware.

kbouk
20th May 2017, 03:08 PM

Not entirely true, it depends, what you describe happens when EVF sensor=auto , if you set EVF sensor=off and you use EVF you can also use the pad with black LCD unfolded.

DavyG
20th May 2017, 07:03 PM
I've just checked both E-M1 II, they both have the latest firmware installed and the AF Tracking pad works okay.

Dave

drmarkf
21st May 2017, 09:42 PM
Just updated mine: it reset the menu choice to 'off', but once turned on it works fine.

Walti
22nd May 2017, 05:36 AM
Well having read all this I did a second reset and normal service is resumed...

No idea whats going on here, but this isn't the first time I've had to do multiple resets to get the camera working properly...

pdk42
30th May 2017, 05:59 PM
It happened again to me today. However - I managed to "fix" it. It seems that double-tapping on the screen enables/disables the feature. I must have inadvertently double-tapped at some point. Either way, a double tap and it's all back to normal.

drmarkf
30th May 2017, 06:57 PM
Hmmm.

having initially been keen on this feature, being very left-eyed I find my nose tends to activate it too frequently at critical times to be useful. I know Gordon Laing has had the same issue, but made a benefit of it by learning how to move the focus point with said facial appendage, but I think I'm just going to switch it off.