PDA

View Full Version : 200 Trade in bonus

Olybirder
16th May 2017, 10:11 PM
I see Olympus have a 200 Trade in bonus scheme in operation at the moment. I hadn't paid much attention to it but today I investigated it on the WEX site. It seems that if you trade in any working digital camera against a new E-M1 Mk2, they will allow an extra 200. They give an example of an E-M1 Mk1 in excellent condition (grade 9) being worth 320, so with the 200 bonus that would be a combined credit of 520 against the cost of the new camera.

That seems like quite an appealing offer to me and a convenient way to trade in the Mk1 for a Mk2 for a cost of 1329. However, it depends on how much they actually offer for the trade in camera. I suspect that mine wouldn't be classed as excellent condition, so the price would be adjusted accordingly. Has anybody used this offer yet and, if so, what sort of allowance did they make for your trade in camera?

Ron

Mdb2
16th May 2017, 10:38 PM
I pulled the trigger Friday last with SRS bought the em1mk2, grip, battery,
And 12-100 got a good deal. Plus the two hundred trade in!
Bank balance took a hit!
Kind regards Mike

Olybirder
16th May 2017, 10:43 PM
Did you trade in your Mk1 Mike and, if so, did you get a good allowance for it?

Ron

RobEW
16th May 2017, 11:03 PM
What will happen to the kit they accept? will it turn up on the second hand market somewhere?

Olybirder
16th May 2017, 11:31 PM
What will happen to the kit they accept? will it turn up on the second hand market somewhere?I don't know about other retailers but WEX have got a lot of used kit for sale including several E-M1 Mk1s.

Ron

RobEW
17th May 2017, 07:05 AM
I don't know about other retailers but WEX have got a lot of used kit for sale including several E-M1 Mk1s.

Ron

Indeed. At competitive prices too.

Mdb2
17th May 2017, 07:15 AM
Did you trade in your Mk1 Mike and, if so, did you get a good allowance for it?

Ron

Yes I did, I had already used the OLY test and wow at Easter, to try the camera. With my 300f4 pro. And was very impressed with it. For wildlife which is my genre it's chalk and cheese compared with th mk1. OLY had no offers then and although they offered me a very good price for p/ex I still felt that difference was to much.i therefore walked away. Only to return last week and do the deal with the 200
Kind regards Mike

Phill D
17th May 2017, 07:26 AM
Sadly I guess 320 is a reasonable trade in price these days but it certainly seems disappointingly low to me for an excellent camera. Looks like I'll be keeping mine, at least until the missus realises I've still got it anyway :rolleyes:

AMc
17th May 2017, 08:14 AM
FWIW I traded in my Pentax K100D against an open box E-M10 at Wex.
Wex spent an hour examining the camera and lens while I played in their showroom.
They offered me a decent price for my K100D (80 IIRC - I paid 150 for the camera and lens used 3 years earlier!) but rejected the kit lens as there were signs of fungus and it wasn't worth dealing with.

Their tech was very diligent and I was happy that their trade in was similar to the value if I'd put it on eBay and deducted fees.

As others have said they have a glut of EM1, EM5 and PEN F in their used section.

One huge advantage over other online retailers is they put their phone number on and you can get put through to the showroom 01603 486413
I see from your profile you're Norfolk too so I'd just pop in :)

sdb123
17th May 2017, 08:22 AM
The other advantage of buying used equipment from Wex is a 1 year warranty.

Olybirder
17th May 2017, 09:11 AM
Sadly I guess 320 is a reasonable trade in price these days but it certainly seems disappointingly low to me for an excellent camera.I agree. I paid 1300 for my E-M1, so 320 is just under 25% of the new price. I suspect that is typical for most used digital cameras though.

Ron

Olybirder
17th May 2017, 09:17 AM
I see from your profile you're Norfolk too so I'd just pop in :)That is why it is so interesting to me. If I decided to go ahead I could take my camera along, let them inspect it, see what they offered and, if the price was right, do the deal there and then. Is it the right thing for me to do though? :confused:

Ron

AMc
17th May 2017, 09:45 AM
That is why it is so interesting to me. If I decided to go ahead I could take my camera along, let them inspect it, see what they offered and, if the price was right, do the deal there and then. Is it the right thing for me to do though? :confused:

Ron
Well that kind of depends doesn't it? :)
If you are seriously considering the upgrade then this is probably the best way to do it - the extra 200 bonus is not going to be around for ever and the E-M1 MkII isn't included in the May cashback promotion so you're unlikely to get a better deal soon.
I can't see the value of an E-M1 MkI climbing 200 or the MkII list price dropping 200 in the near future but I'm not Mystic Meg :)

The trade in process at Wex was painless. I booked a time over the phone and spent an hour waiting during which time I got to inspect my prospective E-M10 purchase and play with the other cameras on display.

London Camera Exchange (Timber Hill) are doing the same/promotion as are Jessops (opposite the old HMV near the market) so you could try and trade them off against each other. At least you can gauge the trade in value is fair(ish)
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-body_12880.html
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/olympus/om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-mirrorless-camera-body-109482/show.html

I think it has to be a working DSLR or CSC not just a digital camera.

May cashback link...
https://bonus.olympus.eu/customer-apply-for-promotion/?country_promotion=2&lng=en

Pity there are no Test and Wow dealers near by so you could try it out first. Given how likely I'd be to spend money I shouldn't perhaps that's a blessing! ;)

Tordan58
17th May 2017, 09:16 PM
Hi

For what it's worth...

The campaign seems to be in place for whole of Europe. So I checked the conditions with two dealers here in Sweden to be eligible for the 2000 SEK discount (approximately 176 GBP).

One dealer asked for a functional DSLR or mirrorless camera body in return. Another dealer would accept any digital camera as long as it was in working condition. Both dealers have good reputation and high customer satisfaction rating. So I guess there is a room for negatiation.

Tempted, as I have a surplus of P&S cameras...

/Tord

Matt_Hirst
18th May 2017, 11:47 AM
Wonder if Jessops will take any camera in exchange?

Matt

Olybirder
9th June 2017, 10:28 AM
I had a look at the Wex site today and they have got nine used E-M1 Mk I bodies for sale. I wonder how many of these are the result of the 200 trade in bonus? They have just reduced the price of some of them by 20-80, presumably to get more consistency in the prices. I was surprised to see that they have rated mine as grade 8, as I thought it was in excellent condition. However, they spent over an hour inspecting it and noted down every tiny bit of missing paint and wear to the finish.

I think the trade in bonus is a good way to upgrade to the Mk II as the total allowance of the trade in price and 200 bonus was probably more than I could have realised by selling my camera privately. Also by selling to Wex I know that they are not going to come back to me if they encounter any problems in the future.

Ron

joglos
9th June 2017, 10:47 AM
Ffordes are also taking in film sir on that offer

Chris Hall
11th June 2017, 09:29 AM
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the deal only applies to interchangeable-lens cameras.

Olybirder
11th June 2017, 09:43 AM
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the deal only applies to interchangeable-lens cameras.The wording on the Wex site is: 'Trade in any working digital camera before the 30th June 2017 for a new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II and receive 200 Trade-in Bonus.' Perhaps it varies from dealer to dealer so the only way to be sure is to contact them.

Ron

joglos
11th June 2017, 06:18 PM
Off FFordes website
*Claim 200 PX Bonus at the Till (Trade in Any work Film or DIgital SLR) - effective from Tuesday 2nd May - Friday 30th June 2017 contact Ffordes for Quote or further details 01463 783850

drmarkf
19th June 2017, 11:44 AM
MPB have a couple of used mkii at 1699; no bonus, of course, so this looks a bit optimistic to me:
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-compact-system-cameras/used-olympus-compact-system-cameras/olympus-om-d-e-m1-II/?utm_campaign=808765_Deals%20Mirrorless%20Gear%20U K%2019-6-17%20BL30-360&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailCampaign&dm_i=3121,HC1P,4EL4JL,1SWTX,1

skids
26th June 2017, 12:27 PM
Picking up an MK2 tomorrow afternoon from LCE in Guildford (working away in Dorking so closest store).

200 trade in on my E-PM1 eases the pain somewhat.

Can't wait, I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve............. :D:D:D

Chris Hall
26th June 2017, 02:16 PM
Good luck with it. Enjoy! :)

Mdb2
29th June 2017, 06:02 AM
Wonder if Jessops will take any camera in exchange?

Well Matt I have traded with jessops for years well before they went bankrupt a few years back. I had a good relationship with the manager who always did good by me. But alas he's moved to another branch, their trade in price was the least tempting for me, I therefore traded in my em1 with SRS the price difference was over 100!
Kind regards Mike

Olybirder
31st August 2017, 01:01 PM
Just a reminder that the 200 trade in bonus offer for the E-M1 II is due to end today. Of course it is possible that Olympus will extend it as they did before or introduce another, possibly better, offer.

Ron

Chris Hall
31st August 2017, 01:16 PM
Thanks Ron. Got mine now and enjoying it! :)

geoffmp
14th September 2017, 11:31 AM
I've been using hdewcameras.co.uk for many years, suspect they are grey imports but pricing is very good and Olympus let me register the camera and lenses and extended the warranty. They don't offer the trade in but their prices are better than that offer anyhow.

Chris Hall
14th September 2017, 11:43 AM
I've bought several items from HDEW and can't fault them. Unlike Panamoz, they always answer the phone if you need to talk to someone!