PDA

View Full Version : PEN-F Update Firmware (v2.0)

Olyveira
12th May 2017, 11:44 PM
After updating the firmware of PEN-F (v2.0), it began to recur this "turn off" after a while, with the button ON. I press the "trigger," and nothing. Turn the ON / OFF button, and nothing ... I take the battery and put it back. Everything back to normal ...
However, I did Reset ... The situation remains.
Problems with firmware or something different?
Thank you

benvendetta
13th May 2017, 06:16 AM
Haven't updated mine yet but I think I may wait a while to see if anyone else is having problems. Can't help you though.

Ross the fiddler
13th May 2017, 01:18 PM
Have you checked what the Auto Power Off & Sleep settings are in Menu *D?

pdk42
13th May 2017, 05:29 PM
I updated mine and apart from the annoyance of having to re-do my settings it seems to be working fine.

yorky
13th May 2017, 05:40 PM
I had no problems as yet.

mikesilve
1st June 2017, 09:08 PM
My two month old Pen F is exhibiting exactly the same problem after the 2.0 firmware update. I emailed Olympus support today. In a way I hope more experience the problem as Olympus will investigate further. Sleep is Off and Auto Shut down set at 30 mins. Happens minutes after being turned on. Doesn't respond to any button press or being switched off and on. Completely dead. Fully charged Olympus batteries. Can only get it to respond by removing battery and reinserting. Works most of the time or after a couple of tries. Might be coincidence but seems to happens when changing from landscape to portrait. Other times no reason. Driving me nuts!!!

mikesilve
1st June 2017, 09:23 PM
Olyveira. Might I suggest you send Olympus support a message as the more of us that do the sooner they might look into it.

pdk42
1st June 2017, 11:01 PM
There are lots of posts on mu43 and DPR complaining about freezes following the 2.0 firmware upgrade. Not everyone seems to suffer from it. There is a smoking gun pointing at freezing being triggered by a combination of fast sleep and/or having the screen turned inwards.

mikesilve
2nd June 2017, 08:52 AM
Many thanks pdk42. Yes the problem does seem to be fairly common.
Olyveira. You can flash the Pen-F to go back to version 1.1. I found the link on the mu43 site. I've just done it and it takes a minute or so. You will need a SD card reader so you can delete all files off the card and copy over the BIN file you will download.

My status here won't let me paste the link so I suggest you go to the mu-43 site, search for the thread PEN-F Version 2.0 Firmware and look foir the post by barry13 (it was #47). He has the link "Olympus firmware update tool".

Following the on screen instructions. It was very straight forward. Mike
PS Send me a personal message if you have problems getting the link.

benvendetta
2nd June 2017, 11:28 AM
I haven't done mine yet but I don't think I will bother until all this gets sorted out. For those who have successfully updated, do you think there are any great benefits?
Having just returned from a 10 day Portuguese holiday tour staying in a number of Pousadas, I can say that my Pen F has been brilliant. I used a variety of lenses with it including my 40-150 Pro plus MC14 and the addition of a third party grip made a big difference to the handling.
A recommended purchase (third party or rather more expensive Oly version).

Westy
2nd June 2017, 01:18 PM
I to have had my pen-f lock up since the very firmware update. Only removing battery resets the camera. What is the contact details for Olympus customer service in thr UK?

Westy
2nd June 2017, 02:08 PM
Well just took a brave pill and reverted back to firmware version 1.1. Got to say very quick and painless. Let's see how quickly Olympus come up with a fix.

mikesilve
2nd June 2017, 02:13 PM
Olympus replied to by support query today. They replied "I can confirm that our team is currently working on a solution, however, in the meantime it will be necessary to send your camera to our repair centre to have its firmware restored."

I won't be doing this as I reverted the firmware back to v1.1 myself using the download at lightsnowdev.c*m

So if you haven't yet applied the 2.0 firmware upgrade - DON'T. Wait for Olympus to fix and issue a further upgrade.

davy59
14th June 2017, 06:35 PM
Mine has been sent back to Olympus as Pen F showing all the same problems after update but to be fair it had a similar fit last year in Greece turning itself off numerous times then it suddenly stopped in the UK.

Olympus have sent camera to repair centre but I have been really shocked at their lack of urgency with what is an expensive camera and its still under warranty, been away over a week now and no emails with any details just its awaiting a tech examination.

Been previously very pleased with Olympus support E5 and EM-1 fixed within days.

badgood
14th June 2017, 06:51 PM
Hi, Just updated the firmware on my F and everything was quick, easy to do and the camera seems fine.
I have heard of this issue before and the fix seems to be, remove and reinstall the updater file on your PC/Mac then retry the firmware update.
This certainly worked on my friends EM1

pdk42
14th June 2017, 09:30 PM
It seems that Olympus have been able to reproduce the "freezing" problem introduced by firmware version 2 and that they are working on a fix. A user over on mu43 received a reply from Olympus support in America:

Pen-F Version 2.0 Firmware (https://www.mu-43.com/threads/pen-f-version-2-0-firmware.91429/page-5#post-1029696)

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support.

The latest is that the designers and engineers have recognized and identified the issue and are working on a resolution. This is a High priority support project and a corrective update will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a projected completion date at this point.

If you require additional assistance please reply to this email leaving the complete history intact.

Regards,
Bob
Olympus Technical Support
Olympus America Inc.

Expect v2.1 soon!

benvendetta
15th June 2017, 11:57 AM
I am glad that I did not update right away as I would have done in the past!

sdb123
2nd July 2017, 03:40 PM
...any news on a further update?

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2017, 02:25 AM
...any news on a further update?

This is the latest. http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1220/index21a.html

Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
[ PEN-F ]
[Precautions when updating firmware]

When updating the firmware from version 1.x to 2.1, the camera settings are reset.
When updating the firmware from version 2.x to 2.1, the camera settings are maintained.

Ver.2.1
(Jun. 29 2017)
The stability of operations while the display is closed has been improved.

davy59
25th July 2017, 04:31 PM
I had to return my Pen F to Olympus to sort out my issue with the firmware, took them a month to sort out but eventually Pen F returned with software correctly installed/fixed.

Funny the process speeded up when I bought an EM-1 Mark 2 ad registered for Pro service.

1st August 2017, 10:37 AM
Have owned my Pen F for under an hour- battery currently charging. So, best to hold off on software update for now?

Tim

Ross the fiddler
1st August 2017, 10:49 AM
Have owned my Pen F for under an hour- battery currently charging. So, best to hold off on software update for now?

Tim

Just make sure the battery is fully charged & follow the instructions without getting impatient & touching or turning off things. The full list of update details are here & will update the lot in one go. http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/ud2/ENU/0001/1220/index21a.html

Instructions are here. http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/camera/cameraupdate_setbk.cfm

EDIT: I just noticed you're also an E-M1 Mk II owner, so you obviously know what to do already. *yes *chr

davy59
1st August 2017, 09:20 PM
I think there was an update to fix the issues so you should be ok!

Actually if you read the update details to me its not really essential to actually do it!